Need help choosing a vehicle - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I might be wrong, but those are for 2 bikes only.
    I have one that fits 3 bikes, and I've seen ones that are like little trailers (have their own number plate and light panel) and I am sure at least one of those can take 4 bikes... Oh well, if they don't I can always throw the smallest bike on the roof or in the boot :-)

Quote Originally Posted by cape_nerd View Post
    Wow Pannekoek, that looks like a stellar vehicle - excellent price too.

Are they reliable?
    The Pajero Sport is a fantastic vehicle and the one in the advert is the best choice of the lot you've mentioned so far.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

If you want excellent off road capability with high clearance, then the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4door will be the best choice. It would be better to go for the one with the 3.6L v6 Penestar engine. You will have 209kw output and 349NM Torque. The downside is that it is heavy on fuel. I didn't buy my JK for fuel economy. It's a Jeep thing, you won't understand.. :-)

The Fortuner D4D 4x4 is more than capable off road and good value for money. You won't have the same clearance and/or power, so might be limited with some trails(unless you lift it), but you will have much better value that won't drop that quickly.

I'm clearly a Jeep fan, but recommend you also look at the Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLS 4x4. It has much more features than the Fortuner and Jeep together and very capable off road for a soft roader. It's also limited in clearance, so consider lifting it is a great idea if you want to tackle a grade 3 or higher trail.

In all the options you will have to consider a long range fuel tank if you doing an overland trip.

Good luck.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by CBear View Post
    If you want excellent off road capability with high clearance, then the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4door will be the best choice.
    No, he never specified any of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannekoek View Post
    http://www.autotrader.co.za/used-car...llertype/trade

I found this one in Cape Town. If a Fortuner is good enough then this will be much better..lol

OOOH, that looks nice
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

I am not a fundi but from seeing what the ladies did at Gariep GTG on the trail,I was impressed with all the 4x4 models.
    Take it from me who drives a 4x2 Isuzu, I could not gain experience due to lack of capabilities of just 4x2.
    Rather take a 4x4.My ideal would be a 4x4 with center diff lock and nothing else,more electronics more hassels.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Wat van 'n Cruiser Troopie, het tog alles wat jy soek, spasie, betroubaar, maklik om te onderhou., go anywhere en hanteer baie goed op grondpad al is hy swaar gelaai.
    Hier sleep ons die boswa met 5 groot mense en 2 kinders deur die Richtersveld en 'n ander keer gemaklik oor Road to He'll, die keer sonder boswa.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	394291_10150552300480813_148434585_n.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	280850   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2490.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	280854  
    Cruiser 76 EFI 4.5 FullTime 4x4
    Cruiser 78 4.2 Diesel
    Cruiser 79 4.2 Diesel Full Time 4x4

The warranty on the Fortuner can be extended for another 3 years even one day before the standard warranty expires. It is an extension of the factory warranty for a further 3 years. As you want to travel far and wide, the Toyota dealership network and support base is better than any other brand as far as I am concerned. The cost of ownership of a manual 4x4 Fortuner is excellent. Yes, you will be replacing some items post the 100k mark and most of us whom own these vehicles know these. Most have been done under the extended warranty. Injectors, water pump and alternator come to mind.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Suzuki Grand Vitara , can get a new one with that budget.
    Ford Ranger 2.2 D/Cab brand new.
    I will always go new, for opvious reasons.
    Also look at Isuzu D/Cab 3.0 D-tec 4x4. Good secondhand avail with very little km on 2011-2012 model. 5year warrenty and service plan standard.
    Toyota is a awsome vehicle , but completely over priced secondhand ,can get much better value on a different manufacterer with the same reliability.
    1.New vechile first choice
    2.Secondhand , any Japaniese Manufacterer period !
    Its al lot of money and need to put it in the right vehicle.

amaTokka Guest

I had it in writing from one of our top five 4x4 guru's that he will not allow a Jeep in his convoy, due to reliability issues.

A recent article in LW tells the story of a couple whose Ford Ranger broke leaf springs and how they struggled because no spares were available in Botswana.

I am no Toyota fan but it seems logical that you need a Toyota in Africa. Of course, they also break down but their most likely will be spares available within a reasonable radius, not a thousand miles away. Toyotas are not necessarily more reliable, maybe even not better built but it has an extended dealership network and, due to its market volumes, also used spares are reasonably available. (My own Toyota and the fleet that I had managed proved they also broke down, all of them, but I never had a shortage of spares or mechanics to fix it.)

amaTokka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Sticking to what you posted and saw, Fortuner or Cherokee, I would buy the Fortuner

(Did I just say that out loud?)

Obviously you are going to add a rack for the bicycles?

Get the 4x4, for what you want to do you will most probably need it. To change later will be an expensive affair.
    Gosh, only if all Fortuners were taken off our roads and with not a single one left, anywhere, then he could look for something else. Why even consider anything else? And I am not even a Toyota fan! A Fortuner can go almost anywhere, it offers and excellent compromise between price, capability, economy, reliability, spares availability, full-size spare wheel, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by amaTokka View Post
    I had it in writing from one of our top five 4x4 guru's that he will not allow a Jeep in his convoy, due to reliability issues.

A recent article in LW tells the story of a couple whose Ford Ranger broke leaf springs and how they struggled because no spares were available in Botswana.

I am no Toyota fan but it seems logical that you need a Toyota in Africa. Of course, they also break down but their most likely will be spares available within a reasonable radius, not a thousand miles away. Toyotas are not necessarily more reliable, maybe even not better built but it has an extended dealership network and, due to its market volumes, also used spares are reasonably available. (My own Toyota and the fleet that I had managed proved they also broke down, all of them, but I never had a shortage of spares or mechanics to fix it.)
    I am getting out the popcorn
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Quote Originally Posted by cape_nerd View Post
    Wow Pannekoek, that looks like a stellar vehicle - excellent price too.

Are they reliable?
    Im sitting with the same situation cause I didnt buy a 4x4 from the start. The Jeep and other cars do have their advantages, but in the end, it comes back to the pajero sport and the fortuner.
    And I would take the Pajero just because its a nicer place inside than the Fortuner plus less chance of ending up on the roof.
    Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4WD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2