Question Newbie in die Namib; advice for passes & C14

I'm unfortunately not a 4x4 owner, not yet!
    I was hoping the community won't mind helping a Namib newbie asking for some advice.

I'm travelling with a group through South West Nam for a week, but I might be able to stay on a few extra days. Thinking of renting a vehicle and doing a roadtrip.

My plan so far:
    Go from Windhoek to Swakopmund via the passes; they appear to be all relatively close to each other:
    Gamsberg (C26), Spreetshoogte (D1275) Gaub, Kuiseb (C14)

Not exactly sure which route would nicely fit them in, but I was thinking:
    Google map route: http://goo.gl/gb8OIB

[1 or 2 days]
    Windhoek to the top of Gamsberg Pass C26,
    turn around,
    turn onto D1265, then D1261, then D1275 and over Spreetshoogte
    on to Solitaire, fill up
    C14 north, checkout Rostock Ritz, over Guab and Kuiseb
    to Swakopmund through Naukluft Park (C14)

[1 day]
    Around Swakop/Walvis

[1 day]
    Swakopmund to Windhoek on B2 & B1 stopping over at Spitzkoppe before Osakos

(A) Looking at the kilometers, and considering a slow average speed, would I be able to get to Swakop in one day? My feeling is that it might be a bit of a rush?
    (B) Back to Windhoek from Swakop should be fine, since the road is good. ?
    (C) Anything you would suggest I change, points of interest, place to stay, more days?

I've been reading up on this forum, the web and Go! Namibia 2014's guide and I've come to realise that the roads can be a bit unpredictable.

(D) Vehicle you would suggest?
    From reading here: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=178351
    some people suggest that Spreetshoogte's steepness would require low range and probably 4x4, but then others reckons any powerful enough vehicle would be ok given the paved sections/traction?

(Vehicle) If I decide to give Spreets a miss?

(E) driving skills required; riding sand roads, steep ascent descents, other?

(F) Which leads me add; would it be better to take some of these in a different direction?
    (G) Fueling at Windhoek and then at Solitaire would be sufficient, or should I follow the advice I've read on here to fill up wherever I find a pump?

Bookings for vehicle/accommodation
    (H) It sounds like August is peak tourist time, better to pre-book everything?

Looking forward to your advice
    Thanks
    Last edited by geno; 2014/05/02 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Title change

See my humble penny's worth in CAPS . Do not forget to enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by geno View Post
    I'm unfortunately not a 4x4 owner, not yet!
    I was hoping the community won't mind helping a Namib newbie asking for some advice.

I'm travelling with a group through South West Nam for a week, but I might be able to stay on a few extra days. Thinking of renting a vehicle and doing a roadtrip.

My plan so far:
    Go from Windhoek to Swakopmund via the passes; they appear to be all relatively close to each other:
    Gamsberg (C26), Spreetshoogte (D1275) Gaub, Kuiseb (C14)

Not exactly sure which route would nicely fit them in, but I was thinking:
    Google map route: http://goo.gl/gb8OIB

[1 or 2 days]
    Windhoek to the top of Gamsberg Pass C26,
    turn around,
    turn onto D1265, then D1261, then D1275 and over Spreetshoogte
    on to Solitaire, fill up
    C14 north, checkout Rostock Ritz, over Guab and Kuiseb
    to Swakopmund through Naukluft Park (C14) I WOULD SUGGEST TO DRIVE FROM WINDHOEK VIA KUPFERBERG PASS TO SPREETHOOGTE - IN MY OPINION SPREETHOOGTE IS ONE OF THE "MUST SEE" SCENES IN NAMIBIA AND FROM THERE TO SOLITAIRE, FILL UP AND VIA KUISEB PASS TO SWAKOP. SPREETHOOGTE IS NOT A BIG CHALLENGE, BUT GOING DOWN IN LOW RANGE IS NECESSARY.

[1 day]
    Around Swakop/Walvis

[1 day]
    Swakopmund to Windhoek on B2 & B1 stopping over at Spitzkoppe before Osakos - EASY DRIVE FOR A DAY

(A) Looking at the kilometers, and considering a slow average speed, would I be able to get to Swakop in one day? My feeling is that it might be a bit of a rush?
    (B) Back to Windhoek from Swakop should be fine, since the road is good. ?
    (C) Anything you would suggest I change, points of interest, place to stay, more days?

I've been reading up on this forum, the web and Go! Namibia 2014's guide and I've come to realise that the roads can be a bit unpredictable.

(D) Vehicle you would suggest?
    From reading here: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=178351
    some people suggest that Spreetshoogte's steepness would require low range and probably 4x4, but then others reckons any powerful enough vehicle would be ok given the paved sections/traction?

(Vehicle) If I decide to give Spreets a miss?

(E) driving skills required; riding sand roads, steep ascent descents, other?

(F) Which leads me add; would it be better to take some of these in a different direction?
    (G) Fueling at Windhoek and then at Solitaire would be sufficient, or should I follow the advice I've read on here to fill up wherever I find a pump?

Bookings for vehicle/accommodation
    (H) It sounds like August is peak tourist time, better to pre-book everything?

Looking forward to your advice
    Thanks
    THAR 💯

Gamsberg pass is nice. I went down there last month, with my 3-series BMW, 3'o clock in the morning... Just go slow.
    Herman Bellville
    2005 Kia Sorento EX 2.5diesel Coil Lift Kit, Body Lit Kit, 4mm Bash Plate, Rock Sliders, Wheel Spacers.