Page 140 of 143 FirstFirst ... 40 90 115 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,800 of 2851

Default Re: Jurgens Xplorer Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu Fan View Post
    It is a 2013 model so must be in its 8th year.

I will check tomorrow
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

PM send

Quite honestly never seen that cap before Michael. But i can assure you it is not the hub nut but a greade cap. Having flats tells me it screws loose.

Ours here the cap we simply pry off with a screwdriver.

Give it a few taps with a copper hammer whilst trying to loosen it.

Otherwise I dunno.

Has Google been friendly?
    Thanks for the message. It is indeed a grease cap. The first one came off using a wrench after soaking the area in penetrating fluid. The second one turned with the wrench but refused to come out of its housing. Finally shifted it using a cold chisel and large hammer to attack it from behind the brake drum. Now all I need to do is borrow a 10-12 inch hub puller to get the second drum and bearings off.

Michael

My Attwood geyser works perfectly on gas, but not on 220V. I measured the current and it is live up to the element, so I presume the element is shot. Our nearest agent says that parts for the Attwood is no longer available and a Hansen would cost in the vicinity of R8k. For that money I can buy a lot of gas.....
    Any suggestions on where I might be able to source an element or any advice?
    Danie Gerryts

2013 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T
    2016 Ford Ranger 3.2TDCi 4x4 A/T Supercab
    Gypsey 5
    Jurgens Xplorer

Danie

First question. Are you sure that it is not one of the thermal cutoff switches that has failed and thus preventing current to flow? If so they are cheap to buy and install. They look like small buttons and are situated next the the geyser wall to measure the temp.

If indeed it is the element that is shot, remove it from the geyser after draining out all water. They ussualy just screw out. Take it to your nearest appliance, tumble dryer/ washing machine repair place and ask them for a similar replacement. You basically need one that is 220v, most are so that will be easy, have a similar screw in fitment, and are not longer than the element you have. Hell even some urn kettle elements might fit. Worth a try.

You are looking for a 220-240v screw in ellement around 1500watt. Google that and see what pops up.

CATS

Quote Originally Posted by DanieG View Post
    My Attwood geyser works perfectly on gas, but not on 220V. I measured the current and it is live up to the element, so I presume the element is shot. Our nearest agent says that parts for the Attwood is no longer available and a Hansen would cost in the vicinity of R8k. For that money I can buy a lot of gas.....
    Any suggestions on where I might be able to source an element or any advice?
    Last edited by Cats; 2021/05/31 at 08:15 PM.
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Wow Cats, thanks, that makes so much sense.
    Danie Gerryts

2013 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T
    2016 Ford Ranger 3.2TDCi 4x4 A/T Supercab
    Gypsey 5
    Jurgens Xplorer

At Salt Rock caravan Park another Xplorer owner had his kids run the water system in the van dry. This included the geyser which promptly burned out the element. He got a replacement element from a local electrical supplier the next day.
    I think the person that wants to replace your geyser is taking a fat chance. As has been suggested remove the element and use it as a sample to get a replacement.
    Remember to always ensure that there is water in the geyser before powering the system up.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

I have 2 gas bottles connected to one common pipe. When I would like to use one of the bottles for something else I cannot use stove as gas runs out. I asked today at a caravan place fitting to close the end of the regulator. Nothing. I was the 2nd person today asking the same.

Has anybody found a safe cap to close the pipe/regulator end? Any other solutions used?
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    I have 2 gas bottles connected to one common pipe. When I would like to use one of the bottles for something else I cannot use stove as gas runs out. I asked today at a caravan place fitting to close the end of the regulator. Nothing. I was the 2nd person today asking the same.

Has anybody found a safe cap to close the pipe/regulator end? Any other solutions used?
    Hi, on my 2007 Xplorer I also have two gas cylinders connected to a common supply to the geyser and stove. Also had issues with low volumes of gas, reason was the hole was blocked off at the regulator where it screws onto the cylinder by a wasp or other insect that made a mud nest in the opening. My cylinders were disconnected and stowed away for a short while and probably when it happened. After cleaning them they worked fine. Could also be the jet that is blocked with dust or a faulty regulator.
    12 Triton 3.2DiD 4x4 DC
    07 Jurgens Xplorer

I have bought 2 inline shut-off valves and inserted it close to each one of the bottles. Now I only open one bottle, and if it is empty, I close its valve and open the other valve. It also allows me to use the bottle for other purposes.

It doesn't make sense to have 2 bottles connected at the same time. If the gas runs out, both are empty.
    Louis Farrell

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LouisF For This Useful Post:

This is what I used.

Good thing I went to take the photo. On previous trip I had to "borrow" one regulator for a gas burner, and also 1 clamp. Evidence on the left-top. Completely forgot about that!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Louis Farrell

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LouisF For This Useful Post:

I never knew this. Do you have a regulator at each bottle or not? I thought the regulator would stop gas from flowing out if disconnected. I have a regulator at each bottle and I am sure I had one bottle off at one stage and used the other one with no issues?

CATS
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Cats View Post
    Do you have a regulator at each bottle or not? I thought the regulator would stop gas from flowing out if disconnected. I have a regulator at each bottle and I am sure I had one bottle off at one stage and used the other one with no issues?
    CATS
    Each pipe has a regulator. I continuously smelled gas (Swambo actually!) so I installed the inline valves. Later I discovered that one bottle's valve started leaking and that was the source of the gas smell. But I must say I sleep better knowing there is a valve AND a regulator connected the loose hose.
    Louis Farrell

Why not just split the hose and have one connected to geyser and one to the stove?
    I have 2019 model and two separate hoses each with a regulator for 2 bottles. The bottles is inside the front storage area so always an issue to get to and a bit of a challenge if you want to use the stove next to the road for coffee or a boerie. I've even considered to move the bottle brackets to the outside somewhere but not sure where to mound them.

If there is 220 then I use the geyser gas bottle for making fire and keep the stove connected. However if I use gas for the geyser i connect and disconnect the stove gas bottle to use as needed.

I've now extended the hose for the stove so it reaches in side the storage but it runs from outside so I still need to have some access and space inside to connect the stove.

It sounds as if the older models was connected permanently? this is is ideal and much better than the newer I would say.
    Now - '19 Ford Ranger 2.0
    Now - '07 Patrol 4.8GRX
    Now - '19 Jurgens Explorer
    Then - '04 Disco 2 TD5

The older models have 2 bottles joining at a T feeding both the geyser and stove. I have moved one of the bottles to the front to have easier access, and to make space for a portable braaier at the back.

I am considering moving the gas bottles outside into the front "overhangs". Then I will move the steadies' mountings to the back, next to the spare wheel. I have seen an Xplorer with the steadies at the back, pity I didn't take a photo.
    Louis Farrell

Quote Originally Posted by IR_eddie View Post
    Why not just split the hose and have one connected to geyser and one to the stove?
    I have 2019 model and two separate hoses each with a regulator for 2 bottles. The bottles is inside the front storage area so always an issue to get to and a bit of a challenge if you want to use the stove next to the road for coffee or a boerie. I've even considered to move the bottle brackets to the outside somewhere but not sure where to mound them.

If there is 220 then I use the geyser gas bottle for making fire and keep the stove connected. However if I use gas for the geyser i connect and disconnect the stove gas bottle to use as needed.

I've now extended the hose for the stove so it reaches in side the storage but it runs from outside so I still need to have some access and space inside to connect the stove.

It sounds as if the older models was connected permanently? this is is ideal and much better than the newer I would say.
    I re-routed the pipe from the stove by running it inside the caravan with the water supply umbilical to the stove. I drilled a hole through the bulkhead to get the pipe in the storage side and gas cylinder. Sealed the hole afterwards to prevent gas getting into the caravan etc

I will get 2 valves from a gas place. I will also ask for a cap. Extra safety if the valve is accidently turned.

Thanks for all the comments.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Quote Originally Posted by LouisF View Post
    The older models have 2 bottles joining at a T feeding both the geyser and stove. I have moved one of the bottles to the front to have easier access, and to make space for a portable braaier at the back.

I am considering moving the gas bottles outside into the front "overhangs". Then I will move the steadies' mountings to the back, next to the spare wheel. I have seen an Xplorer with the steadies at the back, pity I didn't take a photo.
    I have just relocated my gas bottles to the outside of the nosecone locker to create more space.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB9B4C96-DEA8-4571-885C-825452768B42.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	617525
    Getting the first bottle into its holder requires some gymnastics on the part of the bottle but that will only be necessary once in a while. To make the task easier I removed the nut and bolt holding the two parts of the holder together and replaced them with an R clip which goes into some PVC tube inside the sleeve for the bolt.

Name:	EBDD9EC1-6C3C-4831-9FCF-590168229F5C.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	617526Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DBEF2E17-87AB-4AA2-9D07-425052B2F460.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	617527
    I also cut off some of the holder to help the bottle slip into place.

Name:	04439326-5A51-4484-9786-11EC0948FE9B.jpeg 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	617528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1F224C4F-D5D8-4A00-B69F-6E2FC30CF7CA.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	617529
    I found a longer piece of gas pipe with the correct connector on the bottle end and bought a connector for the other end. This pipe goes through the wall of the nosecone with a grommet of two thicknesses of split corrugated tubing.

Name:	C17F3461-54ED-436D-8235-329FC6777C06.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	617530

Michael

Having bought our 2009 Stargazer/Xplorer in March I was aware of some irregularity on the surface and sponginess in the front corners of the floor of the nosecone.

Name:	D6EF0DCC-ABEC-414C-A82F-940E83053BB5.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	617534
    So I decided to investigate. Looking from below there was a gap between the aluminium base of the nosecone and the curved metal section at the front.

Name:	7CC1594D-AA3D-4675-8DF0-C69F9E4DBB1E.jpeg 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	617531
    Looking from in front the base of the nosecone dipped down by the thickness of a pencil in the middle.

Name:	01DC0088-64A8-4344-875A-5DE36DB136ED.jpeg 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	617532
    When I peeled back the vinyl covering in the front corners of the floor the reason for the irregular surface and sponginess became apparent - the dreaded woodrot problem found by some other members of this forum!

Name:	90A70D83-D75E-4BA5-9D56-A638D7B418EA.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	617533
    I then spent most of the past week removing the plywood floor and lower parts of the side walls.

Name:	A1A2BCD6-3CAC-4BBD-AE60-6B4D7532B30B.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	617536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4B646AB0-53D0-4CA6-B045-BD2FB284A08B.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	617537
    From closer inspection of the aluminium base of the nosecone it was obvious that there has been water ingress for a long time judging by the staining of the upper surface at the front edge.

Name:	DA8654CB-2519-411D-BBA1-B4B2698CDC61.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	617538
    The basic problem is that there if a flaw in the design because the curved front section below the nosecone hatch does not even meet the metal base of the nosecone, never mind overlapping it. There was also no obvious sealant between the two edges. As a result water has got in and caused the ply to rot.

I have now begun to rebuild the nosecone and will remake it better than before and ensure it is watertight. More to follow….

Michael

Comments on the two previous posts:

- I looked at using those cavities in the front to carry wood (mainly). I have seen also gas bottles like above. What ever is there is sand blasted so I would recommend bottle protection plate. Looking into one of the images the van is used on sand roads. Aluminum plate is blasted.

- I have not seen rot in the front but there is one area where it was found in our van. In the back where the bottom comes up there are aluminum strips in the bottom corner. Water gets between the strip and the vertical wall panel. Worth to make sure that is sealed AND NOT using silicone. Sikaflex. Dealer fixed the wood under warranty. I only noted the problem because the screws holding the strip let go.

Normally the problem with wood rot is not rain but condensate/dew. If the van is without some roof over the van top is wet every morning. Thin layer of water seeps in. I learned that with our now sold Jurgens road van. I had to build the front new and even seal pop rivets on the roof top. All joints, aluminum strips and similar that are so where water can flow from above are suspect.

I caught one potential problem on time. Water tank level probe connection was not properly tight. I filled up and noted afterwards dripping under the van. Overfill the tank and see what happens.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart