Jurgens Xplorer Fan Club - Page 118

Page 118 of 121 FirstFirst ... 18 68 93 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,360 of 2406

Default Re: Jurgens Xplorer Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu Fan View Post

CATS will be along shortly to brag about his gas lift bed mechanism.
    Yip. Lifted the bed with its gas struts, but not sure what I can assist in terms of fuses as I don't have a fancy MPPT controller fitted. Just a normal solar controller and still the original Herculus fitted. But yes plenty fuses fitted as well as the one BIG one, and I have only blown one in all my years of ownership.

CATS
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cats For This Useful Post:

Hi Duke.

You have any joy with solving this?
    I am afraid mine is much worse and an area about 300 x 300 is affected.

I dont have a solution yet. I am trying to figure out if that area is a structural section of the floor or not.

I am hoping not. If so I have thought of cutting a square section of the affected area out and fitting a new piece in, with strips of aluminum to screw into the old and new sections from both top and bottom.

If it is a structural section then a bigger piece starting from the section in the nose cone will have to come out, up to the step.

Sorry for the late reply, eish I think you have a more serious problem than mine as the rot is only in the bottom of the hatch door and not the floor itself. I would suggest that you rather take the caravan to a reputable workshop because it seems to me that the whole front floor section would need replacement I saw an oldish Explorer the other day at a Campworld near me being almost completely taken apart for the dreaded wood rot. The whole left hand side, roof and front panels were vrot. The guy doing the work said it was bad but still viable to fix rather than scrap the van. My take on the problem would be that if you know how the construction of the floor sections were done and what it involves,only then attempt to do it yourself. Since the floor goes in first it probably comes out last? Hope you get a better answer than this one

Thanks Duke.

You not helping are you!

I intend removing the vinyl flooring under the fridge slide section by cutting as straight a section against the fridge slide and folding it back to assess.

Once I have done that I will decide the next move.

Hoping it does not extend beyond the step well because that section forward of the step well is definitely not structural.

Will keep you posted.
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitsu Fan For This Useful Post:

Thanks Duke.

You not helping are you!

I intend removing the vinyl flooring under the fridge slide section by cutting as straight a section against the fridge slide and folding it back to assess.

Once I have done that I will decide the next move.

Hoping it does not extend beyond the step well because that section forward of the step well is definitely not structural.

Will keep you posted.

Any pics or news
    Last edited by Duke1098; 2019/07/15 at 10:46 AM.

Hello Xplorers,
    I am just back from a tour through southern Namibia and the Xplorer was the disappointment of the century.
    Beeing one of the toughest vans out there I thought 2500 km gravel road shpould be a walk in the park. But on the contrarary.

Here is a brief break down of the damage:

• Water tank indicator not working anymore
    • One cabinet door fell off and broke
    • Fiber entrance steps (both sides). The are pierced to a shocking degree
    • The water faucet in the "kitchen" popped out both hoses and wouldn´t hold them in place anymore.
    • The shower stopped working. Do not know why yet.
    • Slide out drawer for the kitchen and fridge is not operable anymore.
    • The whole kitchen cabinet became lose
    • The wires that hold the pop out tent had to be re adjusted every day.
    • The door to the "bathroom" popped open during the drive, even it was locked (with the key only)
    • We lost most of the steadies because to nuts would shake loos.
    • And we took in so much dust that we had to clean the whole trailer almost every day. Yes the trap door was open

Now I am seriously considering getting a Bush Lapa or something else

Not happy at all!!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by fodster View Post
    Hello Xplorers,
    I am just back from a tour through southern Namibia and the Xplorer was the disappointment of the century.
    Beeing one of the toughest vans out there I thought 2500 km gravel road shpould be a walk in the park. But on the contrarary.

Here is a brief break down of the damage:

What pressures were you running your tyres at on the gravel roads?
    Pajero Gen 4 GLX 30 Year Heritage Edition - Grondpad
    VW Tiguan 2.0TDi - Teerpad
    Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow

Hi Frank

I’m smiling as I read your thread. I also just returned from south Namibia trip with my Explorer. I have a 2019 model so didn’t have any issues with cabinet doors that fell off however I had some challenges of my own.

Here is list of my issues:

· Water pump stopped working after day 1. Met someone on the last day of my trip who said I must tap it with a hammer which I did and it stated to work again. Was not impress as I spend the whole holiday without water which was obvious a key part for purchasing an off-road van that you can take of the grid
    · Dust was also a big issue for us even with the hatch open. We even had rocks and sand in the van and had to clean after every move to the next site
    · It looks like my belly plate at the water tank is also coming loose
    · I picked up screws and washers inside that came loose which I still don’t know where they came loose from
    · Not sure if the same stove is used for the older models but the one on the 2019 is terrible and you need to take the burners and plates off otherwise they fall off when you hit gravel – a solid burner / plate setup would have been much better
    · This is an easy fix but one would think the manufacturers think of it – the edges for the dust cover and tent guides is not rounded off so the tent keeps on hooking when you feed it in or out. This is especially annoying when you pack up / pitch up every 2 days

Other than that the van was great and towed very nicely behind my Patrol. Also very solid on the gravel. We do enjoy the van however I feel the manufacturers should actually go camp with the thing every now and then as there is many small changes they can make to make it more practical – i.e the stove , the power management system,

I must be honest – I did view a few of the other vans at the camp sites and all of them has got their own issues. I like the feel of the Explorer inside but the I must say some of the other vans layout and setup details was much better thought thru than the Xplorer – if Jurgens wants to stay competitive they will really need to come to the table. I won’t be changing my van but will make some minor upgrades in due time to make the van a bit more practical.
    Last edited by IR_eddie; 2019/07/17 at 04:29 PM.
    Now - '19 Ford Ranger 2.0
    Now - '07 Patrol 4.8GRX
    Then - '04 Disco 2 TD5

Two bad luck stories above.

We did Nam via the KNTP and exited at Mata into Nam. 2013 model

Dirt road distances travelled was approx 2000 km.

Issues:
    - broke a foot off the left steady. My fault as I never checked if it was locked into place properly.
    - one cupboard hinge broke. It was playing up anyway before the trip. I had a spare and replaced it in Windhoek
    - gas struts got tired. Two were leaking anyway so I replaced all 4 in Windhoek. Bought from Diesel Electric in Windhoek
    - there was a water leak on the kitchen unit tap. I repaired that in Mata Mata.
    - I was expecting a dust issue but very little came in.

That's it!

By following tips off this thread I fitted extra hinges on the large cupboard doors and made sure the latches had no play. The only mod I did. Nothing else.

Not sure why you guys sukkelled. Come by my house for a check up on your vans before the next trip?

Cheers
    Last edited by Mitsu Fan; 2019/07/18 at 05:55 PM.

I have eventually finished the installation of the DC plug box and the additional AC plugs on the aft right side of our Xplorer. Having a knee replacement operation curtailed my ability to kneel and work inside the van doing the wiring.
    The DC power box has a Blue Brad Harrison plug at the top for the solar power in from the two 100w panels. This connects to the existing National Luna DC- DC charger I fitted previously. Then there is a Grey Brad Harrison plug which is connected to the primary battery via a 30amp fuse and 10mm2 wiring. This allows me to plug in my tyre compressor or other gadgets needing high draw 12v DC power. At the bottom I fitted a cigarette lighter socket that is connected to the primary battery via a 15amp fuse and 4mm2 wiring.
    The standard caravan 220v AC three plug panel on my van is installed forward of the slide out kitchen. I normally land up plugging in an extension lead to supply 220v power to the goodies on the table aft of the door. I got a new 220v AC three plug panel from Kempton Caravans and have installed it in the area of the other plug boxes aft of the wheel so that we don't have to run the extension lead. This plug box unit is connected to the plug's trip switch in the caravan distribution board with the correct 220v AC armour cable.
    The photo of the wiring inside the van in the area of the boxes was taken before it was all secured and correctly routed. I will be fitting a blanking panel in the compartment under the bed where the boxes are located to prevent the wiring being damaged by anything stowed in the compartment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190407_094908.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	406.1 KB 
ID:	534727   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190407_103028.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	468.6 KB 
ID:	534728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190407_103102.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	419.3 KB 
ID:	534729   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190407_100311.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	291.4 KB 
ID:	534730   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190407_103124.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	330.8 KB 
ID:	534731   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190721_154458.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	534732  
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

Since we bought the Xplorer, the one thing we were not happy with was the lack of a proper outside kitchen/cutlery/crockery space. So I decided to take the plunge and did this modification over the past couple of weekends. I am rather pleased with the end result. Must admit I did pinch some washers when I had to cut in the van. Not sure why the pictures do not come out upright.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190720_153327.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	439.4 KB 
ID:	534743   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190720_153339.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	372.6 KB 
ID:	534744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190721_140752.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	390.0 KB 
ID:	534745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190721_144955.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	397.7 KB 
ID:	534746   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190721_144959.jpg 
Size:	453.9 KB 
ID:	534747   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190721_151545.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	420.7 KB 
ID:	534748   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190721_151558.jpg 
Size:	458.9 KB 
ID:	534749   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190721_140800.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	386.1 KB 
ID:	534750  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190721_164845.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	369.8 KB 
ID:	534751  

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gjs For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gjs View Post
    Since we bought the Xplorer, the one thing we were not happy with was the lack of a proper outside kitchen/cutlery/crockery space. So I decided to take the plunge and did this modification over the past couple of weekends. I am rather pleased with the end result. Must admit I did pinch some washers when I had to cut in the van. Not sure why the pictures do not come out upright.
    Very nicely done. What year model is the Explorer? Looking at the drawer, it is quite long so must be sliding all the way under the bed. In my van it will clash with the water tank, so I'm wondering what your layout is like.

Drive: Nissan Hardbody DC TD 16V 2007
    Camp with: Jurgens Xplorer 2010 with a couple of mods

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhardvr26 View Post
    Very nicely done. What year model is the Explorer? Looking at the drawer, it is quite long so must be sliding all the way under the bed. In my van it will clash with the water tank, so I'm wondering what your layout is like.
    Thanks for the compliment. It is a 2008 model. The drawer slide through the one side compartment and underneath the bed, up to (but not into) the other side compartment (where the battery and geyser is located). Total length is 1150mm. My water tank is in the back compartment. Hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by gjs; 2019/07/23 at 07:58 AM. Reason: additional info

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gjs For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gjs View Post
    very nice job, where did you get the extrusion from for the frame and door edging?

Quote Originally Posted by RANGERFAN View Post
    very nice job, where did you get the extrusion from for the frame and door edging?
    Thanks Rangerfan. Got the extrusion and bits and bobs from Kempton Caravans.
    Last edited by gjs; 2019/07/23 at 08:45 AM. Reason: s

Quote Originally Posted by Duke1098 View Post
    Any pics or news
    Hi Duke.

Nope I am going to avoid this as long as possible.

The van is stored in the garage so it cannot get worse.

I am having surgery to my knees mid August so I won't be able to get near it for at least 3 months.

Once I have no more excuses I will start to pull it all open.

Cheers

Hi Duke.

Nope I am going to avoid this as long as possible.

The van is stored in the garage so it cannot get worse.

I am having surgery to my knees mid August so I won't be able to get near it for at least 3 months.

Once I have no more excuses I will start to pull it all open.

Cheers
    I like your answer All the best with the surgery

has any one done a modification to move the herculese 20 to a more convenient position. unmaking the bed every time something trips or a fuse blows is a real ball ache

has any one done a modification to move the herculese 20 to a more convenient position. unmaking the bed every time something trips or a fuse blows is a real ball ache
    If you’re having trips or blown fuses I’d be more concerned with solving that issue.

Somethings not right if that’s always happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Tombie View Post
    If you’re having trips or blown fuses I’d be more concerned with solving that issue.

Somethings not right if that’s always happening.
    it doesn't always happen, its from time to time the overload will trip,or if on a sand road my earth leakage switch falls for some reason. and i recently had a problem with a fuse blowing on the fridge circuit. but still a mission to undo the whole bed to reset a trip switch

it doesn't always happen, its from time to time the overload will trip,or if on a sand road my earth leakage switch falls for some reason. and i recently had a problem with a fuse blowing on the fridge circuit. but still a mission to undo the whole bed to reset a trip switch
    Personally I think the Hercules is a rubbish piece of kit.
    I removed it, fitted Victron for power and a Blue Sea Systems fuse block and required it.

The Victron is solid state and IP rated, very stable.

The mains system (RCD) etc has been upgraded to better quality parts and never plays up.

The entire lot is small enough, you could fit the fuse board in the cupboard by the door.