Jurgens Xplorer Fan Club - Page 120

Page 120 of 128 FirstFirst ... 20 70 95 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,400 of 2560

Default Re: Jurgens Xplorer Fan Club

For those that are interested I picked up my new Ford Ranger 2.0 single turbo auto on Friday and took it to Cederberg with the Xplorer. Vehicle tows like a dream and the 10 speed gearbox is awesome. She chewed the uphills and gravel with no issues - dont even notice the van at the abck. She certainly gave my 4.8 Patrol a good go for money. Now I have 2 x very good towing vehicles. Average consumption was 6.6km/l

Patrol will be used for cross boarder camping trips to Nam, Bots, etc... and bakkie good for local camping not too far from home. Not ready to take the bakkie into the bush yet - PAtrol is a bushwagon and I don't mind scratches, etc...
    Now - '19 Ford Ranger 2.0
    Now - '07 Patrol 4.8GRX
    Then - '04 Disco 2 TD5

Quote Originally Posted by IR_eddie View Post
    Mitsu
    Can you confirm how much more clearance you score with the storage wheels for storage. I need 8cm (9cm or more will be great) to fit my xplorer in the garage.

Thanks
    Surely you must be able to gain 9cm at least? The wheels should cut out the rubber portion which is more than 5cm at the top of the wheel and at least another 5cm at the bottom. I'm thinking it will buy you at least 15cm.

Drive: Nissan Hardbody DC TD 16V 2007
    Camp with: Jurgens Xplorer 2010 with a couple of mods

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhardvr26 View Post
    Surely you must be able to gain 9cm at least? The wheels should cut out the rubber portion which is more than 5cm at the top of the wheel and at least another 5cm at the bottom. I'm thinking it will buy you at least 15cm.
    Your maths is off you only save the lower portion or half the diameter change...

Roadque said the wheel is 175mm in radius. My wheel is about 350mm in radius. This means a drop of 175mm. They quoted R1,066 and R200 for shipping to CPT.

im just worried that the van will belly scrape at the water tank. I'll measure it when it is back from service.
    Now - '07 Patrol 4.8GRX
    Then - '04 Disco 2 TD5

Quote Originally Posted by Tombie View Post
    Your maths is off you only save the lower portion or half the diameter change...
    Duh! You're right.

Roadque said the wheel is 175mm in radius. My wheel is about 350mm in radius. This means a drop of 175mm. They quoted R1,066 and R200 for shipping to CPT.

im just worried that the van will belly scrape at the water tank. I'll measure it when it is back from service.
    Nope dont worry about the tank Eddie.

I have a very upward sloped driveway and I have to raise the nose of the van by 200 mm so that the rear section of the roof does not catch the garage roof.

By the time the van is in nose to the sky the tank is well clear.

Cheers
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitsu Fan For This Useful Post:

A small mod that i have done to make life easier on my explorer
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So I have read almost all the comments to see if there are any reason for not buying an Explorer. I currently have an Xcape , it is only me and the wife, travel off road for many km a year. BUT

My wife wants to sleep inside the caravan and no longer half way outside with only a canvas as protection. Thus the Explorer looks like a good option.

Which year model is the best to buy. Would like to get a model without the canvas doors.

Please assist?

I have a 2010 model that I'm really happy with. It was before the additional cupboard space that opens up to the outside was added to the sides of the bed in front but the fridge can be pulled out all the way. In the older models the fridge can only be accessed from the inside.

The additional kitchen and bathroom packing space that the layer models have is nice but not something I particularly miss.

I think the canvas doors only came in in 2017. I believe there are also older models that did not have two doors. Since we use the outside bathroom a lot, the second door was a must have for us.

Thank you to all the posts in this thread to date. Kept me engrossed reading for quite a while and quite a lot of valuable hints gained.I have had my Xplorer which I bought"previously loved" about 3 years ago. I tow with a Disco4 - also previously loved which matches the van perfectly. These are some comments I'd like to add to the fan club thread, some of which refer to earlier posts:1. The water pump noise got to the point I thought it was going to self destruct before I investigated it, and while looking for it realised the noise of the pump was not the main noise. The main noise in my case was the pump and T-piece hose clamps rattling on the checker-plate aluminium cover, so I cut a 5cm wide belt of closed cell foam and wrapped and cable-tied the pump and also the T-Piece so the clamps, pump and cable ties were all below the foam so only the foam could make contact with anything, and now the pump noise is a quite acceptable hmmmm.2. I fitted a quick release for my jockey wheel, but also swapped the double rubber wheels which were flexing and rubbing on the axle mount steel which caused it to dig in even on hard ground. The cheap replacement wheels I used were from Ladder & Castor, and have steel rims and hard plastic tyres that dig in less and hold square well.3. I have long stainless steel piano hinges in all my cupboard doors which I think came standard, so I have not needed to worry about hinges working loose like some other models with small hinges.4. My Eezi-Awn can collect water dangerously if I set the leading edge above head height. One needs to drop the front height on both sides, and tension the pipes back to the van really well to ensure the rainwater gets to the front without pooling, but obviously one needs to watch one's head when passing the edge especially after a few beers. The speed of setting up though is a no brainer so I will never change from this speedy compact factory fitted option. I have sides and skirt which are only brought out for really bad weather. I can see what a hassle loose poles for other options are. I just want to make two 15cm square Velcro pads with hook on one side and eyes on the other to improve the overlap and sealing between bag and awning on the van when it is open. The existing Velcro leaves a small gap which leaks under the awning in heavy rain at each end of the bag.5. I replaced the cooling fan in the Hercules 20 with a quieter model fan as it was pretty noisy at night previously.6. Someone asked for information regarding their Minus40 3-way fridge switch. I'll post a photo of the label if still required, but centre is off and one way is rapid cool and the other is economy mode (will let you sleep better and save battery).7. I didn't previously appreciate that the bathroom basin and wall caddy my older model came with standard were so great until I read how owners of new models have had to make alternate plans. As standard feature, mine clip onto the bathroom door while travelling which means no waste of storage space.8. The previous owner had a towbar fitted which has been useful for my bicycle rack, but he actually fitted it for a wetbike trailer. If the person who posted the request is still looking for a photo of one fitted I can oblige. Please just shout.9. My white rims had started rusting, and although a new set were very cheap, I realised before long I would be back in the same position, so I had all 3 sandblasted, welded (the seams need sealing both sides before galvanising), and hot-dip galvanised. I just made sure the faces contacting the hubs were smooth and flat before refitting. Done quite a few km on tar and dust with them and nuts seem to be staying tight.

Ran away from the Big Smoke to Hluhluwe for a week. Xplorer towed like a dream again behind the Disco. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191013_162511.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	544116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191013_162553.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	544117
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes theyíre already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    Ran away from the Big Smoke to Hluhluwe for a week. Xplorer towed like a dream again behind the Disco. Click image for larger version. 

Paul

You are making me Royaly Jealous.

Glad you are enjoying the Xplorer.
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post

I see you pitched the full tent. I have a full tent like that as well. Used 3-4 times. Would anyone be wanting to buy it off me maybe?

CATS
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu Fan View Post
    Roadque in PTA sells at half the price of Caravan places. I got mine there for R900 for 2.

Even if you courier down you will still score

with the new rims does the caravan fit into a standard 2100 garage, what is you maximum height now,

What is the difference between Explorer and Xcell?

Quote Originally Posted by Waals View Post
    with the new rims does the caravan fit into a standard 2100 garage, what is you maximum height now,
    I didn't take road que rims as they don't have stock and don't know when (or if) they will have again - despite sending me a quote.

Ive ordered from tygeberg caravans and will pick them up this week. Iíll share some info when I fetch the van and fit them with the rims
    Now - '07 Patrol 4.8GRX
    Then - '04 Disco 2 TD5

Quote Originally Posted by Waals View Post
    What is the difference between Explorer and Xcell?
    Xcell is set up for two people with no bed in front. Also if I remember correctly the layout drops the one door at the back leading to the bathroom tent.

Shape and weight is basically the same.

CATS
    2003 Safari Xplorer

I didn't take road que rims as they don't have stock and don't know when (or if) they will have again - despite sending me a quote.

Ive ordered from tygeberg caravans and will pick them up this week. Iíll share some info when I fetch the van and fit them with the rims
    Sorry to hear. Strange as I understand they make all their own fabrications.
    I took a chance as I live in JHB and drove through to collect. Reasonably painless.

Quote Originally Posted by Cats View Post
    Xcell is set up for two people with no bed in front. Also if I remember correctly the layout drops the one door at the back leading to the bathroom tent.

Shape and weight is basically the same.

CATS
    They were made to try to get a niche market for those who could not afford the Xplorer.
    No fold out tent in front. Right side door replaced with a full length cupboard. No Shower.
    In some cases only a double bed instead of the king size bed and this allowed a pathway to a full length cupboard in the back left corner.
    I was actually what one of them when I was looking as it is only wifey and me.
    But this bargain Xplorer came up so that was the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu Fan View Post
    They were made to try to get a niche market for those who could not afford the Xplorer.
    No fold out tent in front. Right side door replaced with a full length cupboard. No Shower.
    In some cases only a double bed instead of the king size bed and this allowed a pathway to a full length cupboard in the back left corner.
    I was actually what one of them when I was looking as it is only wifey and me.
    But this bargain Xplorer came up so that was the end of it.
    My previous 2012 XCell had:
    - no fold out tent towards the front, but fixed front section with plastic window.
    - transversely mounted 3/4 bed on top of the slide out fridge/kitchen in the front
    - left and right hand side doors (really handy)
    - rear 2x single bench beds, converting to massive wall-to-wall double bed
    - right hand side shower tent with in-wall plumbing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201512301.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	544302

Regards,
    Jacques
    Last edited by Jacques_R; 2019/10/15 at 08:40 AM.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited Sahara
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x2 auto

2015 Sprite Tourer SW