Jurgens Xplorer Fan Club - Page 10

Page 10 of 123 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 35 60 110 ... LastLast

O ja I wanted to ask the smart people. I was crawling underneath the jurgens when I noticed at each wheel there is a piece of metal. Can anybody tell me what this is for?

Its close to the wheel. And when deflating it might be able to rub against the tire so I want to cut it off, but first need to make sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409938166023.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	306614

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409938185821.jpg 
Views:	533 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	306615
    -

Dont have this on mine. Seems you have the right intention to cut it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sennin View Post
    O ja I wanted to ask the smart people. I was crawling underneath the jurgens when I noticed at each wheel there is a piece of metal. Can anybody tell me what this is for?

Its close to the wheel. And when deflating it might be able to rub against the tire so I want to cut it off, but first need to make sure.
    Those were installed on the first Xplorers to allow you to install shock absorbers.

I did it on my first van, but the shocks only lasted 20Km on the Kgalagadi corrugations then both broke.

Took them off and never put them back. Not needed IMHO.
    Pajero Gen 4 GLX 30 Year Heritage Edition - Grondpad
    VW Tiguan 2.0TDi - Teerpad
    Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow

Thanks for the feedback guys now I can with confidence hack them off 😆
    -

What brand and size etc tyres do you have on your explorers?

The sidewalls of the Firesteone ATX on my van seems very exposed from 2.5 bar.
    2010 3.2 GLX Pajero (Sold)
    2000 3.5 GLS Pajero (Sold)

Hi Gryskoos

Mine has the standard Firestones on. For use on highways I inflate the tyres to 3.0 bar. This gives much better stability and no sway. Off road I go to 2.3 and in sand 1,5 bar.

I had a catastrophic rupture on one tyre but this could be attributed to the age of the tyre. This you can check by looking for a set of 4 numbers moulded in the sidewall usually close to the bead. It will look like this, 2512, which means manufactured in week 25 of 2012.

Bear in mind that your 4x4 weighs about 2300kg which gives about 600kg weight bearing per tyre. Your laden Explorer is usually above 1800 kg which equates to 900kg per tyre making that sidewall buldge a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by LowRange View Post
    I started to modify my existing light fittings to LED using the "stick-on" strips from Lumeno (@ Outdoor Warehouse)

Must still do the inside. Not as bright as the original fluorescents, but still sufficient for my use and a lot cheaper then the units installed by the agents..................and a lot less strain on the batteries in the bush!!

>
    maybe take a condute and wrap a led strip around the pipe then mount it in the fitting. The jurgens led are R800 a light!!
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Just know that the Jurgens LED light is awesome and gives very good light.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    maybe take a condute and wrap a led strip around the pipe then mount it in the fitting. The jurgens led are R800 a light!!

I used the 12 LED module Lumeno lights modified to fit inside the existing fluorescent housing. Paid R160 per light, 20 minutes to do the mod per light, works very well!

http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/lu...ite-amber.html
    2011 Discovery LR4 HSE
    2008 LR 110 Defender Puma SVX, 60th Anniversary Ltd Edition.
    2006 LR 110 Defender Td5
    2014 Jurgens Safari Xplorer
    Renault Clio VaVaVoom

Quote Originally Posted by blazerb2 View Post
    Hi Gryskoos

Mine has the standard Firestones on. For use on highways I inflate the tyres to 3.0 bar. This gives much better stability and no sway. Off road I go to 2.3 and in sand 1,5 bar.

I had a catastrophic rupture on one tyre but this could be attributed to the age of the tyre. This you can check by looking for a set of 4 numbers moulded in the sidewall usually close to the bead. It will look like this, 2512, which means manufactured in week 25 of 2012.

Bear in mind that your 4x4 weighs about 2300kg which gives about 600kg weight bearing per tyre. Your laden Explorer is usually above 1800 kg which equates to 900kg per tyre making that sidewall buldge a bit.
    Thanks for the info.

The 2.5 I mentioned is my preferred gravel road pressure. Will check the tyres age.
    2010 3.2 GLX Pajero (Sold)
    2000 3.5 GLS Pajero (Sold)

I recently sold my 2011 Explorer and now I have the awning sides and front up for sale. They have never been used........or to swop for Xcape awning sides and front. (As long as they are not damaged I'm open for negotiation.
    Last edited by Klein Kameel; 2014/09/17 at 04:55 AM.

Elp!!!

I have a 2012 Xplorer and the Manual has gone missing. Can someone scan thier from the same year/ model?

And anyone have anything for the electrics? My father currently has the caravan and he cannot get the electrics to work. Should it just be plug and play? The battery seems to be charged but no electrics in the van. I think if he plugs it in to the wall socket there are no electrics iether.
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

Smile

Hi Biggles,

You don't miss much in the manual but I just need to go to the van and scan it in and will send to you when I have a moment. The explorer has a isolation switch for when you are not using it and want to disconnect one the positive or negative not sure which one it is.

Under the bed next to the battery is a black box mounted to the side, this is not the box with the 220 volt and isolation switches. On top is a blue little switch look at that, if switched of you have no power turn it on then you have power and your battery indicator will also come on when you turn on.

Failing this something else may be wrong.

Hope you come right.

Eric

Yip, probably the main switch that's off. If all is on however he must just check all the fuses. And.. stupid comment but check if the power socket from the house is working
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

OK, that worked. It was the main switch and the manual has turned up as well.

I get to meet my caravan in the Etosha
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

Can anyone help me out, what is the difference between the 2013 Xplorer and the 2014 Xplorer, both exteriors look the same, with the new nose cone and big orange stickers, but what is the differences please
    Geoff Craig
    '98 Suzuki Samurai - Sami the Samurai
    '09 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 (M)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort

The main difference is not that much and mostly cosmetic changes. The biggest noticeable differences is the front bed now having cupboards on the sides (allowing additional exterior compartments for cutlery and shower goodies) and going back to the older type loose corner steadies. Water tanks sizes, electronics, chassis and overall design are exactly the same.

Mine is a 2014 model with still the older spec so I was a tad worried that they'll bring out major upgrades which would reduce the value of mine. Luckily not as I actually still prefer mine to the upgraded version.

Fair enough the extra packing space is nice, but it reduces the ability of just having a 3rd bed in front without having to open the front section. I prefer the built in corner steadies also - easier to work with and no loose parts. The loose ones are surely more sturdy in hectic offroad terrain, but if you stand on uneven ground they might be more difficult to use as they have a minimum height. The built in ones can just be lowered to whatever the terrain allows. The dealers also were apparently a bit dumbfounded at the change back to the older steadies and there's apparently already talk of going back to the built in ones.

Smaller changes include galvanizing some steel brackets (like the brackets opening the front fold-out section) instead of just painting them and the way the front tent cover ties underneath the fold-out section. On mine the canvas cover attaches to the brackets, but on the new ones you get a extra piece of string attaching the two sides directly together, ie not tying to the brackets anymore. At my 6 months service the dealer replaced all my steel brackets with the new model brackets and gave me the connecting string so mine is now a 2013 spec with some 2014 spec updated components

In short, if you buy new there's nothing wrong with the new spec, but if you can get a good price on a 2013 spec I'll rather go for that. The spec change isn't of such nature that it is a must have.
    Last edited by George; 2014/09/23 at 08:52 AM.

Thanx for the feedback, there is a "new" 2013 spec at a dealer selling for a really good price (due to it being old spec and the advert says the same)... lets see if its still available!
    Geoff Craig
    '98 Suzuki Samurai - Sami the Samurai
    '09 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 (M)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort

That sounds exactly like the scenario I found myself in. If the price is good I'll take it without a doubt. You'll score big time. I paid R230k for my new 2014 model in January which is +- R50k less than the current new price. The nice thing is the dealer still paid the old price from the factory so will pass on the saving to you. You immediately buy a brand new 2014 model at the old prices.

just to ask, 2013 model, not extra outside cuboard above kitchen slider, and next to shower on bath room side, but on 2014 model they revert to the loose leveling jacks? Where do they store them now? I like the extra kitchen space, donot need the bathroom one but prefer the attached leveling jacks!, ish, 2013 then a good buy at a good price, R 220 to R 230 k?..

Page 10 of 123 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 35 60 110 ... LastLast