Help Catch a Leopard Loskopdam area

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help Catch a Leopard Loskopdam area

Hi All

My son has a 280 ha piece of land witch he would like to fence and utilize for goat farming. At this moment the ground is unfenced, very very rugged and overgrown sekelbos and bush and grass and a nice koppie with large rocks in the middle. All area around the land is cultivated, Sitrus, crops and spilpunte.
    The problem is that there is a Leopard sighted in this bush several times now.
    OK it bogles my mind as there is no farmers loosing dogs or chickens in the area. Not really a sheep or goat farmer nearby. This animal has to cross tarred road and open field if it travels at night. Loskop Dam Area

ok Whatever.
    Is there any conservation body that can help us set up a cage to catch and relocate this beutifull animal? We really dont want to shoot the leopard.

Thanks
    Groetnis
    Chris
    Last edited by cfmans; 2014/04/16 at 11:27 AM.
    Chris Mans
    2007 Touareg 3.0 TDI
    2012 CanAm Commander 1000
    2014 Polaris Touring

It's not going to be that easy, there has to be a legit reason for it to be moved as there is allot of costs involved and believe me cat sedation plus vet assistance does not come cheap, it will be out of your pocket as you want it removed. Plus moving a leopard that has already established it's own territory in a specific area is already surviving, moving it into a new territory can be it's fait. I suggest you contact The Ann van Dyk Cheetah Centre - De Wildt
    Tel: (012) 504 9906/7/8 Cell: 083 892 0515 maybe they will give you the correct answers and advice.

Only saw now that it's in the Loskop area, if you remove this one another will come that area is well know for its leopard population and it's going to make it harder for you to get involved in removing the animal, Biggest advice I can give you leave it and learn to live with it us humans have done enough damage to the environment already. As you say it's beautiful be glad to have it then
    Last edited by JJP; 2014/04/16 at 12:11 PM.

Leopards are territorial animals and should only be caught if it starts to pose a problem for your livestock. if it does not pose a problem and you catch/kill it, it will only open a opportunity for a animal that will start to pose a problem for your livestock to move in ,and you will have to catch that animal until something moves in that does not pose a problem. M2CW...

As noted above - I don't believe removing the animal is much of a solution - another one will move in.

I don't know about leopards, but I can suggest you call the cheetah outreach - http://www.cheetah.co.za - and ask for advice.

they train and provide Anatolian Shephard dogs, which protect domesticated animals from wild predators - very successfully, and this allows the wild life to continue to live in the area.

If there are few or no problems with livestock in the area currently, I am sure it's more than possible to live with the animal on the farm.

Contact Old Chapel Vet in Pretoria (012 331 8279)

They do a lot of work with the big cats all over the country, and will be able to advise you best. Speak to Dr Peter Caldwell

I was about to say -- relocation ... BIG $$$

When we had our Track at the Krugersdorp Game Reserve, we often had people phone and tell us they saw our LEOPARD CROSSING THE MAIN ROAD, those felines, come and go as they please, and those game fences, meant very little to stop him.
    Hot and Sweaty- Nice if you with a Lady, - BAD if you in the Jungle.

UNITRANS 4X4 Training and Tours

Triumph ST 1050
    Toyota 2.8 Auto
    Honda CBR 1000
    Kia Rio -- sold
    Nissan squash squash

Those cats do not relocate easily unless too far too walk back (hundreds kms) and the new location is an empty, meaning no other leopards.

They are easy to catch in a cage trap, then just load the cage and cart away.

If its not doing any harm leave it alone, but beware he is there and will not let an opportunity go by.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Try to get an Anatolian Shepard dog if the leopard is a problem in the future. Remove this one and 5 other leopards will fill the void created by its absence.
    Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2009

Know where you are going in life... you may already be there!

details on the Anatolian shepherd project - it's incredibly interesting actually, these guys are very close to my workshop, these dogs are huge...

http://www.cheetah.co.za/an_project.html

Anatolians are good, but just make sure that you get a trained dog as not all of them are that good, and they are not adapted too very hot climates. Anatolian crossings with a smaller breed doing better if been trained properly.

Best is too get one from a good working mother, and must be born in the goat or sheep pen and maybe worked along the mother for some time. And the herd should not be too large.

I had a Anatolion/Australian cattle dog crossing, and that was the best dog I had amongst the sheep. Still looking for a replacement after she died.
    Last edited by JLK; 2014/04/16 at 01:14 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Quote Originally Posted by cfmans View Post
    Hi All

My son has a 280 ha piece of land witch he would like to fence and utilize for goat farming. At this moment the ground is unfenced, very very rugged and overgrown sekelbos and bush and grass and a nice koppie with large rocks in the middle. All area around the land is cultivated, Sitrus, crops and spilpunte.
    The problem is that there is a Leopard sighted in this bush several times now.
    OK it bogles my mind as there is no farmers loosing dogs or chickens in the area. Not really a sheep or goat farmer nearby. This animal has to cross tarred road and open field if it travels at night. Loskop Dam Area

ok Whatever.
    Is there any conservation body that can help us set up a cage to catch and relocate this beutifull animal? We really dont want to shoot the leopard.

Thanks
    Groetnis
    Chris
    Hi Chris,

A year or so ago there was a project under way to track/relocate leopards around the Loskopdam area.

Deon and Susan Cornelius who run a sanctuary Ubetyan-O-Africa was involved.

I believe that the local landowners were contacted to get involved.

Please ask your son to contact Deon @ oh eight 3- 379 five 7 nineteen
    Not sure whether the number is still in operation.

I believe that a leopard captured in the area is currently living at the sanctuary.
    2004 L/C 4.2 Game Viewer
    2012 LC 200 4.5 VX
    2013 Ranger T6 3.2 4x4 Auto

2013 HiTec Tekkies

4X4 is an addiction only cured by poverty

Baie mooi dier daardie, maar hy kan jou baie skade maak.
    Watse bokke wil hy mee boer?
    Pat

Prado 3.4 V6, OME + Spacer lift, Cooper STT, Safari Snorkel, VHF.....
    Buell Xb12Ss

Thanks for all your feedback. He wants to start Stoet Boerbok boerdery. Those guys cost a lot of money and if Ta would take a baster boerbok that can still go, but an animal of considderable more value, that will be a no no.

I phoned Deon early this morning and he gave me another number as there is a tarred road that puts my son in the Limpopo area and not under Deons Juresdiction.

I forgot to tell you. There was a " tame" blesbok that came to drink water and have some salt lek on the lawn next to the house. He used to come every morning and night.

Since the Leopard was first seen two weeks ago, the blespok never came calling again

suppose 2+2 makes 4 in this case.
    That chap is holed up in his new found playground.
    I think we must flush him out in daylight a few times and hopefully that will scare him off.
    Last edited by cfmans; 2014/04/16 at 03:32 PM.
    Chris Mans
    2007 Touareg 3.0 TDI
    2012 CanAm Commander 1000
    2014 Polaris Touring

Quote Originally Posted by cfmans View Post
    Thanks for all your feedback. He wants to start Stoet Boerbok boerdery. Those guys cost a lot of money and if Ta would take a baster boerbok that can still go, but an animal of considderable more value, that will be a no no.

I phoned Deon early this morning and he gave me another number as there is a tarred road that puts my son in the Limpopo area and not under Deons Juresdiction.

I forgot to tell you. There was a " tame" blesbok that came to drink water and have some salt lek on the lawn next to the house. He used to come every morning and night.

Since the Leopard was first seen two weeks ago, the blespok never came calling again

suppose 2+2 makes 4 in this case.
    That chap is holed up in his new found playground.
    I think we must flush him out in daylight a few times and hopefully that will scare him off.
    Chris,

Were the sightings of the leopard reliable?
    Given the small area that is a "natural" habitat , was the leopard spotted outside of the area as well ie....in the area you describe as under agriculture?
    2004 L/C 4.2 Game Viewer
    2012 LC 200 4.5 VX
    2013 Ranger T6 3.2 4x4 Auto

2013 HiTec Tekkies

4X4 is an addiction only cured by poverty

Leopard are solitary animals and one would normally find a single male with a large area and a few females sharing pieces of the males range without encroaching on each other's territory. Remove one as Danie said and you open the area for two or more younger cats.

If you are concerned about your livestock consider the Anatolians, Sanparks have a project on the west coast where these dogs were given to folks to protect their livestock from predators and have had brilliant results. The dogs adopt the livestock as their own and protect against two legged "predators" as well and that might be a bigger risk than a possible leopard.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Make it a game farm rather ?
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Make it a game farm rather ?
    Yes, Leopards don't eat Sable and Roans.
    Pat

Prado 3.4 V6, OME + Spacer lift, Cooper STT, Safari Snorkel, VHF.....
    Buell Xb12Ss

Leopard = Waghond feed him once a week, a roadkill or whatever you can scrounge up. Happy leopard and you have happy goats. Seriously it is not an easy conflict to resolve. Maybe boma the goats every evening. Anatolian dogs are good.
    Hello... Give Me.

Eish those Anatolians are impressive. Top speed of 75kph, wow.
    Bryan
    Disco 4 SDV6 S (me)
    Jeep Cherokee CRD (swambo)

Hi cfmans,

There is no need to catch and remove the leopard. If you do another one will eventually takes its place. I farm with goats and cattle
    2009 Nissan Navara 4.0L DC 4x4
    2009 Nissan Qashqai 1.6 Acenta

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast