Short adventure bike for short rider - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Go for the GS 650 Dakar.

660 Tenere is to high and the Transalp is also not a bad choice.

KLR is a oil drinker.
    Alles loop reg, altyd reg!!

Default Transalp for Sale

Hi

Contact Paulo Fernandes at BikeZone Westrand as he has a Transalp for sale with about 6500kms on the clock.

Paulo's number is 0726221022

Regards

Thanks guys, but I already made up my mind on a 650gs, just looking for the perfect one
    My speelding: Discovery 2 TD5
    Vrou se speelding: Astra OuPC

Jeepman85, the GS 650 is the best choice for vertically challenged people. I went through all the bikes myself to see what you can do to accommodate shorter people and the GS is the lowest of all. You will find that the GS rear suspension do have a link where you can lower the rear. The front shocks can also be moved a bit upwards through the triple clamp to lower the front. You can then buy BM's lower seat or you can take your seat to the friendly upholsterer who will cut it a bit to further lower it. Thrust me that by this time a midget will start talking about lifting it a bit.

Gravel travel is all about technique and if you want I can help you. Lastly, once you are comfortable with your bike and you have a bit of experience behind you, you will find that big, heavy and high is not a problem anymore.

Triton DC, Jimny and K1200GT scooter.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepman85 View Post
    Thanks guys, but I already made up my mind on a 650gs, just looking for the perfect one

Good choice.

im also a shorty and i weigh 60kg now. i had the F 650 GS twin for two years. i bought it to commute to work. i loved it, my feet almost touched the floor flat. i got used to it and wanted to do a few dirt trails and sani pass etc. i traded it in on the F800 GS Adventure, wow what an awesome bike. i have ridden many 1200 GS's, my dad had one and uncle just got the triple black but because im so light i didt fee safe traveling through traffic on the 1200. i have the lower seat and the Adventure and dropped the forks as low as possible. with boots my tips of my toes touch the floor quite solid, but not flat. its only a problem in the rain.
    after a few months the flat feet issue does bother me at all, im very comfortable on the bike. My feet touch the ground quite comfortably on the 1200, the 800 Adventure is way higher than the 1200.
    Id go for a second had twin F650 GS as a first adventure bike, it will keep you happy for a year or two
    FJ Cruiser

BMW R1200GS LC

4x4 AG GP0132

Suzuki DR650 has got 2 height settings on the suspension and can be adjusted in no time.

On the lower setting you should be able to get your feet on the ground. I'm not sure about the seat heights, but information is abailable on "bike specs".

Also look at the BMW X Country, which is lower than the GS.

DR are also a lot lighter than the GS and handles better off road and is ok for touring once you fitted a skaapvelletjie. Also have a look at the Yamaha XT660R. Also lighter than the BMWs and better off road and almost as good on tar, and chaeaper to buy and own.
    'n FJ; 'n XT en 'n Bantam.
    Uitgesort !

Quote Originally Posted by Swernoot View Post
    Also have a look at the Yamaha XT660R. Also lighter than the BMWs and better off road and almost as good on tar, and chaeaper to buy and own.
    Same engine as the F650 GS (single) and G650 GS.

Quote Originally Posted by theRéhann View Post
    Same engine as the F650 GS (single) and G650 GS.
    Please explain . Same engine. are the parts interchangeable.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbief View Post
    Please explain . Same engine. are the parts interchangeable.
    There were many verions of the Rotax LC2 motor. BMW used them in die Funduro, the F650 GS, the G650 X-Country, X-Challenge, X-Moto and lately the G650 GS.

KTM used them in the 640 and now the 690.

Aprilia still uses it in the Pegaso series and until fairly recently, Husqvarna also used them.

Then engine sizes did differ slightly from one application to the next, but it is basically the same engine. I don't know if parts are interchangeable, but the engine is like a Tazz or a Citigolf. They just don't die.

The Yamaha XT660R is actually built in France and uses a lot of Spanish parts. It is a stunning bike, incredible value secondhand, but the seat is quite high.

What makes it better offroad than the BMW is the 21-inch front wheel. The Dakar (and more recently the Sertao) has a 21-inch front wheel and more ground clearance.

You can always lower the seat and or get lowering links (dog bones).

Here is some for the KLR for instance,.

Non Lowered Vstrom

lowered

KLR with with lowering kit.

Last edited by Nox; 2014/06/20 at 10:01 AM.
    Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD WK
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 JK
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Extreme Sport KJ
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ

I ride a 700V Transalp (2008 )

Since we two up every day (wife and me) I have it on the 'hardest' suspension settings and at 1.79m I can just stand with it to one side, or mid foot both sides (not heels).

I average around 60km a day in peak traffic and I avg 18.8KM/L per tank. (last 4 tanks).
    This is with me, the missus and all her gear in the topbox

Fantastic bike, would highly recommend to anybody that wants something that just always works.

(33 000km on her now, so far zero issues).

Had to replace the show room tyres at 30 000km! And new chain at 32 000km.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberutang View Post
    Had to replace the show room tyres at 30 000km! And new chain at 32 000km.
    Wow, very impressive. But that is not just the bike, it is also the rider who rides decently.

Quote Originally Posted by theRéhann View Post
    There were many verions of the Rotax LC2 motor. BMW used them in die Funduro, the F650 GS, the G650 X-Country, X-Challenge, X-Moto and lately the G650 GS.

KTM used them in the 640 and now the 690.

Aprilia still uses it in the Pegaso series and until fairly recently, Husqvarna also used them.

Then engine sizes did differ slightly from one application to the next, but it is basically the same engine. I don't know if parts are interchangeable, but the engine is like a Tazz or a Citigolf. They just don't die.

The Yamaha XT660R is actually built in France and uses a lot of Spanish parts. It is a stunning bike, incredible value secondhand, but the seat is quite high.

What makes it better offroad than the BMW is the 21-inch front wheel. The Dakar (and more recently the Sertao) has a 21-inch front wheel and more ground clearance.
    Lots of incorrect info here. Some parts were interchangeable between the original Pegaso and Funduro/GS, even body parts as the BMW was originally designed and built by Aprilia. They used the rotax single.

The XT660 uses a Minarelli (now belongs to Yamaha) powerplant as was used in the Aprilia Pegaso from 2006. It has been more than 8 years since a Pegaso used a Rotax engine.
    2013 Tata Xenon 3.0 Dicor D/C
    2006 Honda Civic EXi FN2

Dis reg ja, Yamaha & BMW het nie dieselfde enjin nie.

BMW het Rotax gebruik. Yamaha nie. Aprillia ( in Pegaso ) het ook dieselfde Rotax enjin gebruik, maar met ander top ( 5 valves ).

Die Aprillia Pegaso gebruik nou die 660cc Yamaha enjin, en nie meer Rotax nie.

Kymco ( Taiwan ) het op 'n stadium ook die 450cc vir BMW gebou ( X - Challenge, ek dink )
    'n FJ; 'n XT en 'n Bantam.
    Uitgesort !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3