Ruaha and Mikumi Bandas & cottages

Default Ruaha and Mikumi Bandas & cottages

Hi there,

we are in the early stages of planning a self drive trip to Southern Tanzania.
    Our plan is to go end of January next year for two weeks.

Can anybody tell me what the bandas and cottages at Ruaha and Mikumi NP are like? I cannot find any fotos on Tanzanian NPs website and would like to have more information about "infrastructure" (i.e. do the bandas have a kitchen? )

Actually we would even prefer to camp there with a fully equipped 4x4/rooftop tent but have not yet been able to find a good car rental in Daressalam. Any ideas?

What about Selous Game reserve? I see that it is not managed by Tanapa but have not yet found a good website on this reserve. Any accomodation in budget bandas there? Or would Selous anyway be too much for a 2 weeks trip?

Thanks for any info,
    Anne

Hi Anne

This pic are the Ruaha Bandas on the riverbank from the Ruaha River. There are also a bit more confortable Cottages in Ruaha on a hill.

I think Mikumi has nearly the same Bandas like Ruaha close to the Gate.

Selous don't have Bandas or something like this.

You know that the time of the Year you want to go to Southern Tanzania is not the best. Selous has a lot of black cotton soil and maybe it will be to wet after the little rain from the end of the year. The better time for the south would be September, October.

Christa
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Can't speak for Mikumi but the bandas at Ruaha are very basic. Just a round tin hut with a basic bed and net. Maybe a shelf and small table. No electricity as I recall but a small paraffin lamp. Certainly no kitchen - you have to cook/sit outside. They are in quite a nice location near the river but their main downside is that they get extremely hot (being made of metal). When we were there they were the cheapest accommodation option - cheaper than camping.

The cottages are a bit rundown and I thought very overpriced. They are on a hillside. There are also a lot of them quite closely packed. Looks a bit like a retirement village.

Personally I would camp or shell out for one of the posh lodges.

Was in Ruaha in early February this year, had lots of rain but main roads were ok, grass was long but did see lion despite the long grass. Camped at the camp site on the river, nice spot but not well maintained.Tan Parks were busy building a new building at the camp site, looked like a kitchen, could also be new ablusions?

Bandas ok but as already pointed out, could get very hot in Jan, we thought it better to camp.

Did not go to Selous but met couple running a Lodge in Selous and they said it is not a good idea to try and self drive in Selous.

Should try and see the Migration which should be in the Ndutu area of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area in Jan/Feb.
    Landcruiser 79 Camper
    Willys -CJ 2A
    BMW 650 Dakar
    Harley Dyna Super Glide
    Amarok TDI Bi-turbo Doublecab

Thanks for your comments and advice, though it is not very encouraging

On the other hand, we might change our plans for Uganda which does not sound too bad at that time of the year.

Should we put this plan into practice, a trip report will surely follow

Stayed in the bandas in december 2004 in Ruaha. They are basic. In Selous we stayed in a lodge, the sable mountain lodge. We had a local guide who drove us then. Distances are big, I must say. But in Selous we saw our biggest lion group, about 40 animals. You really chose for the south?, allready visited Tarangire?

Hello Gerda,

no, we have not stayed in the North of Tanzania, yet.

There are several reasons why we wanted to go to the South:

- flights to Dar are way cheaper than flights to Arusha
    - the North seems to be much more popular and therefore "crowded"(?) at this time of the year.
    - Driving from Dar to Ruaha & Mikumi does not seem that far
    - Prices for the Northern NPs (Serengeti, NCA) are even higher than for Ruaha & Mikumi

But maybe well have to rethink Tanzania North / South.

Greetings from Germany,
    anne