How do you become a 4x4 instructor? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by incrediblebob View Post
    Too many 'instructors' are only interested in pushing their own interests-not for the passion and dedication that is really needed,no matter what part of the country they are,even if it's the southern cape/camps bay area
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Faddel View Post
    [/COLOR]

Do I get the feeling of "being shot in the back" by my own side or have I got it wrong ....

Ladies and Gentlemen, in the left hand corner we have Incredible Bob weighing in at 2,214 posts and in the right hand corner, DAAAAAAAAVEEEE FADDLe with 1,247 post. Place your bets now!!!!!
    Overkill - isn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen, in the left hand corner we have Incredible Bob weighing in at 2,214 posts and in the right hand corner, DAAAAAAAAVEEEE FADDLe with 1,247 post. Place your bets now!!!!!
    wahahhahahaaha!!!

do we get bikini clad girls holding up the round numbers on the forum?

ding ding - round 1

Wink low blow

and BoB comes in with a low blow................ eina

Four Wheel Drive Club of SA
    Garden Route Division
    A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za

too many vested interests and too many people with opinions and no facts. (1a)

I've actually tried to find out how the story works and the only answer is, there is no answer. (1b)

The draft NOW regs are coming out in a couple of weeks and should be passed into law before the end of the year... (2)

then and only then is it even worth getting into a whole long story about what accreditation is, and what an instructor is... (3)

in the meantime its all conjecture... (4) [/QUOTE]

ROUND 2

(1 a,b) there is an answer & facts ...... Unit Standard US 254-135 as registered at SAQA and ETDP TETA states ........ Apply the techniques for operating four wheel drive (4WD) vehicles in on road and off road conditions. US 254-154 is advanced teqhniques

(2) Draft NOW regs ....... Yes the Draft Norms & Standards is going to be released shortly. We recently received communication from Jakob Jordaan (chairman of AAWDC) and Anchor (company actually drafting the Norms & Standards) to this effect, we are up to date with it. What this will not and cannot change is the FACT that the unit standards are out there and are being trained to as we speak. The two big players in the field at present are African Off-Road Academy and Peet Hendriks (both Forum members)

(3) accredited .....There are a few service providers registered and accredited to give training to both US 254-135 and US 254-154 (advanced). Both Incrediblebob and I opperate and give training under one of the service providers, hence my comment of being shot in the back ... You can train to be the trainer under Unit Standard 117-871. The unit standards 254-135 & 254-154 do not call for a registered trainer (facilitator) but it is advisable and just about a necessaty to do the course. They do however call for a registered Assessor under Unit Standard 115-753 and a registered Moderator and service provider.

(4) all conjecture ...... no it's not, please see above.

Now for round 3 and the popcorn
    Last edited by Dave Faddel; 2011/05/19 at 10:16 AM.

Garden Route Division
    A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za

Guys, you know my feelings re this matter.

Firstly, anybody can be a 4x4 instructor - no rules, only guidelines.

However, should you wish to provide training against the Unit Standards (accredited training), then you need to be an accredited Facilitator and possibly also an accredited Assessor, and you must be associated with an Accredited and Registered Training Provider. This accreditation process is a very long process.

I am pro accredited training. However, it is like farting against thunder. Nobody in the industry really cares and the large manufacturers still go with non-accredited trainers.

So, if you want to become a 4x4 instructor, there is simply nothing stopping you to do so at this stage. It is only when you are planning to provide training in accordance with the Unit Standards that you need to follow specific procedures.

Smoke a pipe and chill

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Kotze View Post
    Guys, you know my feelings re this matter.

Firstly, anybody can be a 4x4 instructor ........ (yes).

However, should you wish to provide training against the Unit Standards (accredited training), then you need to be an accredited Facilitator (no) and possibly (no) also an accredited Assessor (yes), and you must be associated with an Accredited and Registered Training Provider.(yes) This accreditation process is a very long process.(yes)

I am pro accredited training. (thank you) However, it is like farting against thunder. Nobody in the industry really cares (wait a littly bitty and see what happnes, it's going to be a big change) and the large manufacturers still go with non-accredited trainers.(I know!)

So, if you want to become a 4x4 instructor, there is simply nothing stopping you to do so at this stage.(please understand there are risks, if you train somebody and they have an accident ... you can have your a** suied off) It is only when you are planning to provide training in accordance with the Unit Standards that you need to follow specific procedures.(yes)
    Jean, thank you. You have the picture.

Garden Route Division

Paper Value.

Lets see now.

Somebody has to have a piece of paper that says they are competant and qualified.

But nobody has ever failed the test to get the piece of paper. What value the piece of paper.

I extrapolate that to mean that everybody is competant and qualified.

I will stick with people I know are good, irrespective of papers for now.

Keith
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2011/05/19 at 11:14 AM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Paper Value.

Lets see now.

Somebody has to have a piece of paper that says they are competant and qualified.

But nobody has ever failed the test to get the piece of paper. What value the piece of paper.

I extrapolate that to mean that everybody is competant and qualified.

Keith
    I personally know 2x people that failed.

As I stated earlier ... pick a trainer who has a good reputation (Engel) or a trainer who is qualified to train to the unit standards, this will ensure that your training is up to scratch and not from "Oom Piet in Pofadder"

Garden Route Division

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Faddel View Post
    I personally know 2x people that failed.
    But did they 'fail' or where they just 'not yet competent'?

Paper Value.

Well said Keith - until I absolutely have to have a piece of paper to drive offroad, I'd rather hang around with guys that know what their story is & learn that way.

Although I did do one course already, with someone that can drive a 4x4, Ive seen a couple of so-called trainers that don't have a clue

Wink Invite to 4x4 Instructors

SANOTA distinguish between three different 4x4 instructors :
    1) Level1 Instructor : Those who provide 4x4 training at a regular basis
    2) Level2 Instructor : Provide regular training and are competent against unit standards 254135 and 254154
    3) Level3 Instructor : Provide regular training, are competent against both off-road unit standards, and accredited with TETA as an Assessor for the unit standards.

This is also an invitation to all 4x4 instructors to join SANOTA. You can do this online at www.sanota.org
    SANOTA is slowly busy turning wheels for off-road instructors.

To answer the question "How to become a 4x4 instructor". There is a path that we at SANOTA prefer - available to our members.

Regards
    Peet Hendriks
    Chairman : SANOTA

Contact Southern Region: [email protected]
    Contact Northern Region: Glyn Demmer , [email protected]
    Last edited by Peet Hendriks; 2011/05/19 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Correct

No disrespect to anyone, but i would be inclined to go with an experienced person with a track record.
    However, and i stress however, there are some quick learners who get through these courses as if they were born into it. Some of them have great communication skills, people friendly and very nice to deal with.
    We have to invest in them to give them a chance.
    As in Mr Hendricks post as in the above....this is what its about and to be involved, this is the way to go.
    The three levels of instructors, the choices are yours.
    ORA

ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Wink Qualification

SANOTA has also on its strategy agenda to create a full qualification for instructors. Like the Professional 4WDGuide, you will have a professional 4x4 instructor - 120 credits on the NQF. This will expand the current 3 levels of instructors mentioned above.

We aim also to compile a recovery unit standard, for recovery officers, to provide safe recoveries on public events.

Focus will also fall on commercial 4x4 driving - the guys who patrol beaches, park rangers, construction & mining companies, police, Fire , etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Peet Hendriks View Post
    We aim also to compile a recovery unit standard, for recovery officers, to provide safe recoveries on public events.
    Now that is needed, not only for public events.

Peet I have written a full recovery course on the safe usage on winches, kinetic ropes and safe vehicle recovery. But because of the difficult nature not exactly knowing what will happen you only become good by doing recoveries a lot. You cannot only stage recoveries thinking the same rules will always apply.I also do it from a commercial point and seen some horror sites where its done the 'ruk en pluk hou my dop vas dat ek kan help' way.

My material covers winches and pulleys, jacks and ropes, recovery points and safety.

I often book myself in at all kinds of courses and are horrified at the knowledge of a lot of instructors and somehow they miss recoveries. Come visit Sunday.
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

I just read throught this thread and the "Accreditted or non-accreditted training" thread, a couple of times.

I am smiling big time .....

Smoke a pipe and chill

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Kotze View Post
    I just read throught this thread and the "Accreditted or non-accreditted training" thread, a couple of times.

I am smiling big time .....
    You like what you read ?

Going to become an accredited trainer ?

Keith
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

You like what you read ?

Going to become an accredited trainer ?

Keith
    I am smiling about the trends, changes and movements .... and also the constants.

Smoke a pipe and chill

Default Re: How do you become a 4x4 instructor?

Reviving the treat for the second time. Almost 8 years down the line and still, big names in the industry says they are not interested in presenting accredit training. Do not take me wrong, the training these mentioned persons provide are not of bad quality, just lack the "correct" paper work. So have any thing really changed? I am considering to venture into the trade and had a conversation with Peet, having a training back ground the structure provided by the applicable SETA is good. But again what has really changed since 2011?
    Jan
    Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit (2017)
    (Previously owned (Only the Zooks really matter): Jimny 2010, Jimny 2013)
    Beta 400rr Enduro
    Wife: Suzuki Vitara GL+
    (Previously:Suzuki Swift GLS, Suzuki SX4 GLX)
    KTM 150 xc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2