2014 Tunland 4x4

Default 2014 Tunland 4x4

Hi Guys
    Need some info to make a calculated decision. Took a Tunland for a test drive yesterday, the latest model with the bluetooth and audio controls on the steering wheel. I was quite impressed with the drive, the power and torque.Although there is some turbo lag, but plenty power once over 1500 rpm. I also read in Leisure wheels that LA Sport is busy with a Tunland project vehicle and I'm sure some aftermarket products will come from this development.
    The only niggle I have is the difflock. So mybe all my clever fellow 4x4 community members can help. Seeing that the Tunland use a dana rear axle (same as Jeep), when what is the possiblility that a Detriot locker will fit?

Talking Monster GOOD VALUE for money!

Its a Beast! Get a chip and the Turbo Lag is "gone"!! I have driven several Models, am in love with them. Still getting the "bucks" together to buy one! Only gripe is the 10,000km service intervals but for the rest- Motor is "bullet-proof"!!!

Any idea which Dana diff it uses? An ARB locker might be your best bet.

So it is chinese, but has a cummins engin and dana diffs. Sounds good. And 10 000 km intervals is wrong, they should keep it at 7500km😬
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Default 2014 Tunland 4x4

I dunno. It's R80k cheaper than the equivalent Isuzu.
    Isuzu has 175 dealerships Foton has 31.
    Isuzu produces more power & torque.
    Isuzu has the difflock.
    Isuzu will need 8 services over 120k km, the Foton 12.

So, in reality, the Isuzu, over 200 000km is only about R30k more.

You'll get that R30k & more back on re-sale.

BTW that Cummins was developed for Foton, it is Cummins' 1st small diesel.

Isuzu is the world's largest diesel engine manufacturer.

Treat carefully, as the Afrikaners say 'Goedkoop is duurkoop'...

Sure, the Isuzu do have the better engine, and perhaps better build quality on the interior, but the Tunland is not far off the mark. The power deffirence is very little 120Kw/ 360NM for the Tunland and 130Kw/ 380NM for KB The current pricing from Tuland is very aggresive with a R50k trade assist / cashback, it actually make a R130k difference. Do not think the KB is R130k better!
    In today's economy it makes sense to me to buy a Tunland and have R130K to kit it out.

Dont be fooled by Cummins engine, dana diff etc. See, years back with the Ssangyong Musso... powered by mercedes Benz...

Enige was good, rest was not so good. (very bad in my opinion....)

Not only Ssangyong...

Even Jeep WK. Mercedes engine and gearbox very good. Rest of the car - not of same quality. OEM shocks rubbish so were the suspension bushes to name only a few....

Apparently Jeep got all sorted now with the new GC.... But dont know if I will buy Jeep again.... (swambo wont let me)

Just read the latest Leisure wheels on the Tunland project vehicle. Bulbar, rear sparewheel carrier, rocksliders and snorkel. Also the shocks and leaf springs has been upgraded with Safari HPD shocks, not sure on the leaf springs. Still need to fit rims and tyres.
    I'm sure they will fit some more goodies like seat covers. Would love to see the final product.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bushlord View Post
    Hi Guys
    Need some info to make a calculated decision. Took a Tunland for a test drive yesterday, the latest model with the bluetooth and audio controls on the steering wheel. I was quite impressed with the drive, the power and torque.Although there is some turbo lag, but plenty power once over 1500 rpm. I also read in Leisure wheels that LA Sport is busy with a Tunland project vehicle and I'm sure some aftermarket products will come from this development.
    The only niggle I have is the difflock. So mybe all my clever fellow 4x4 community members can help. Seeing that the Tunland use a dana rear axle (same as Jeep), when what is the possiblility that a Detriot locker will fit?
    Hi, Bushlord. Greetings from Colombia.

I have a Tunland (bought in April 13’), 8300 km, not very much, but it has performed well. I know, from Chilean and Peruvian forums, people with more than 50.000 km, very satisfied with their bakkie. It seems it has been a success for the oil and mining companies here.

The Tunland performs well at any altitude between 300 and 3450 meters above sea level where I’ve driven it. I loaded a ton on very steep dirt trails and it climbed “almost” as it was empty. The Cummins develops most of its high torque at low speed, so I could bring those loads where one have to drive very slowly (10-20 km/h) because of the very narrow, very steep, very bad dirt trails.

If you will use it off-road, change the tires, because the Savero GT Radial could be adequate for asphalt but not for dirt trails. I put Hercules Terra Trac A/T the day I got the bakkie and they performed well during the rainy season on those trails.

The Tunland is frugal: 30 km / gal in very steep, very winding, narrow roads and dirt trails, and more than 45 km/ gal on highways.

About the turbo lag, it was notorious when one passed from 2nd to 3rd climbing a hill, but they modified the computer program lowering the turbo threshold and it “flies” on the slopes.

The Tunland has defects as all cars,but it has the best quality and performance / price ratio IMO.

Tell me if you need more information.

Hi Rod1
    Appreciate the feedback. Like to hear from othef parts of the world. Seems like a decent vehicle. Look like your Tunland is working hard. I'm looking at fitting BF Goodridge or Hankook AT tyres

For interest, the Cummins 4bt is the previous 4 cylinder of 3.8L. The 2.8 is perhaps the first small diesel for drive line power, but they used the 4 cylinder 4bt for all sorts of applications and also for Bronco, jeep etc engine swaps.
    I think the Thunland bakkie will be a good reliable vehicle, the body can't be more soft than the Vigo!

Arb and Detroit should sort you with parts for a locker.

yes that is correct. Cummins has been using the 3.8l for some time. The 2.8L is probably based on the same block etc. I'll do some homework on the lockers. Glad to see there is more interest on the Foton threads

Quote Originally Posted by vanzie View Post
    Its a Beast! Get a chip and the Turbo Lag is "gone"!! I have driven several Models, am in love with them. Still getting the "bucks" together to buy one! Only gripe is the 10,000km service intervals but for the rest- Motor is "bullet-proof"!!!
    HI, vanzie.

I'm somewhat ignorant in mechanics. Please, tell me a bit more about that chip. Thanks.

Hi Rod1
    Appreciate the feedback. Like to hear from othef parts of the world. Seems like a decent vehicle. Look like your Tunland is working hard. I'm looking at fitting BF Goodridge or Hankook AT tyres
    Hi, Bushlord.

Take a look at the Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar MT/R. They seem awesome on-road and off-road and not expensive.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...MTR-Kevlar.htm

I like the look of the Wrangler. Also an aggressive tread patern. What is the road noise like?

I like the look of the Wrangler. Also an aggressive tread patern. What is the road noise like?
    I forgot to answer, sorry. I've only seen them on the internet. What did you buy?

I thought the wrangler mtr were silly expensive?
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs