Cell phone frustrations.

Default Cell phone frustrations.

I have been having a real testing time with my phone today.

1 month ago, I had a look at all the costs of contract phones, as well as prepaid phone. So I made the decision that I had had enough of Vodacom, after probably 20yrs, and I was going to quit my phone contract and change to CellC prepaid.

Easier said than done.

I did the cancellation of the contract and had to wait a month to convert the phone to prepaid. Then I can port to CellC.

Easier said than done.

So they notify me that on the 31/3/14 the contract will revert to prepaid. So I make sure I still have some data and minutes in my contact for today. 7:00am my phone dies.

So at 9:00am I go to Vodacom and ask what is going on. They tell me to get my prepaid up and running, they need to do a sim swap. I don't want Vodacom any more, so I go to Autopage in Nigel to see what can be done. "Sorry sir, but if you don't take a contract, we are not interested".

So off I go to Carnaval Mall. 35km.

Get to CellC and the guy tells me that he needs the other no to be live, to be able to port the no. So I buy the 3 starter packs I need, as well as R500 to start on the prepaid CellC card. Total R503-00. Yes, R1-00 per starter pack.

Off I go to Vodacom, in Carnival Mall. "Can you help me? What do I need to do to get this no so I can send sms's to do the porting?" "Sorry sir. Sim swap." R105 later and I have another sim card. "How long before this sim is live?" "2-24hrs"

So 2hrs later I put in the sim card and the signal comes up. Gone is all my minutes and my data. All in all, about R1,000 worth.

But now I can phone, but if anybody phones me, it says that the no does not exist.

Back to Vodacom in Nigel.

We don't know why this is like this, but we will look into it.

1hr later and all is up, on the prepaid card. Then the battery dies.

So I will leave it on Vodacom for now, as the porting of my no, apparently will also take 24hrs.

I will do this, once I have the patience to go through all this again.

At the end of the day, I need my phone. I need my no. But I def don't need this aggravation.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

The joys of technology...
    I wish they could make these things simple.
    T
    トヨタ ランドクルーザー
    If it doesn't say "TOYOTA" on the grill then it probably isn't one.
    If you don't own a Cruiser you won't understand....
    2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4X4 AT
    ORRA call sign X224
    4x4 Action Group GP328-KZ

Default Welcome to improper enrichment & bad business ethics.

If it helps any, MTN is as bad.

I was warned that I would forfeit all airtime if I change over from contract to prepaid, so I wrote a complaint to HelloPeter
    http://hellopeter.com/mtn/complaints...irtime-1368262

MTN simply confirmed, they are going to nail me.

I'd also like to know: Is there a phone company in SA that offer any better than this??
    Eggie.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

seker nie, hulle almal ewe skelm. Nes die banke.
    Ons kan nie sonder hulle nie, en hulle weet dit.

sounds like you really just had a bad run of it.
    my wife moved from vodacom to discovery mobile (cell c) earlier this year and the transition was seamless.
    they actually ported sooner than expected so we lost a couple of bucks that was on prepaid (the move from contract to prepaid on vodacom was also smooth)
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

Were you able to retain airtime credit during the move from contract to prepaid?
    Eggie.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

With MTN, just renewing your contract after 2 years, you loose all your airtime.

The last few months before I renew, I'm father xmas, handing out airtime left, right & centre!

When I ported to prepaid, MTN got my phone in a state where it was removed from contract billing, but not the contract system. WOOHOO - free calls!

I phone the 1 crowd and the say "Sorry, you cannot load airtime because you are a contract customer" and the other crowd goes "We have successfully deleted you from out system"

I'm happy with CellC. Being on prepaid is also saving me a fortune in money! From now on I'm being all my phones cash, even the R10k fancy smart phones. It's just so much cheaper at the end of the day.
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

Dont know about the other providers, but Vodacom is so bad in parts of KZN now - you get full signal, and 3G - but can't make a call or use the internet. Then when you complain - "it is your phone suh" - "then why does the same phone work on a different tower?" "why did it work this morning on this same tower?" "eeish - i don't know suh"
    2013 Amarok 132kw 4 motion auto with alterations
    2010 Mitsubishi PajeroSport with alterations to keep Swambo safe

Quote Originally Posted by RogueFrontier View Post
    The last few months before I renew, I'm father xmas, handing out airtime left, right & centre!
    How?

Enige maatskappy of diensverskaffer met "kom" of "com" in die naam is absoluut pateties!!

Sonder uitsonderings....

Henris het klaar die eerste een se naam genoem....

Tweede is die plek waar onse krag vandaan kom...

En dan moenie van die telefoon mense vergeet nie...

en dan kan die bank wat se "moving forward" ook maar gerus vir hulle 'n "kom" in die naam sit. Hulle verdien eintlik een...

Henris ek voel jou frustrasie !!!

Vanoggend ook n draia gemaak by Nashua Mobile ....

PRESIES een maand terug teken ek mos vir my nuwe kontrak, en daai rugged CAT foon ...

lang storie kort, ek kry die foon eers op 15 Maart ....

5 dae later was ek al so 8 keer by hulle - die foon "drop" bluetooth ... wat ek NODIG het vir die handsfree .... foon moet so 4 keer per dag ge-reset word.

okay, geen probleem, dit is mos binne 7 dae .... "nie so maklik nie" ....

foon word Johannesburg toe gestuur ... hulle (die verskaffers) moet hom eers toets - al het die plaaslike Nashua Mobile tak klaar als gedoen en BEVESTIG daar is n fout met die foon ....

stop toe gister daar om te hoor wat aangaan - "meneer die foon is getoets en daar is niks fout nie, so hy word terug gestuur vir u ...."

Ek vra toe MOOI dat hulle maar met die imbisiele "daar bo" gesels ... regtig mooi kalm gebly, so met die stoom wolke wat by my ore uitpeul ....

vanoggend weer daar gewees .... hulle sal dit nou eskaleer "na bestuur" .....

so n maand lank deur my ore betaal aan n besigheids kontrak sonder n foon ....

MTN Me2U

https://www.mtn.co.za/everyday_servi...ngAirtime.aspx

PS - It is only too a prepaid number IIRC.
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001