Default surviving Africa... part 2

Bearing in mind that there are significant dangers in the depths of Africa, what peoples views on carrying a firearm with them for protection purposes during a long overland trip?

If the suggestion of a firearm is completely out of the question, are there any other common self defense tactics/equipment which experienced members may suggest?

I bring these questions up due to one of the comments posted yesterday regarding Jan Joubert, a very knowledgeable man who was robbed and then murdered in the bush. Although I myself have never been a fan of guns, I think there is a time and a place for everything.
    1998 Colt Rodeo 3.0l V6

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can."
    -Danny Kaye

You won't get through border posts with a firearm.

Which is unfortunate because I like to be armed at all times.
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

You don't want to be caught at a roadblock, in the middle of nowhere, and they find a firearm. There is no frontend loader that will be able to dig you out.

I have enquered before and they will let you go in, but they say you are looking at US$100 per border crossing.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

My wife and I have been overlanding for 20 years, and before we met, I travelled extensively in Africa for 10 years (including covering several wars as a foreign correspondent). We lived in the bush for two years, travelling through Ethiopia (the first South Africans through the Moyale border post after the end of the civil war), Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Zim, Mozambique, Botswana and Namibia. The only thing we ever had stolen was a duvet cover that we later recovered - some kids nicked it to use as a sail on their dugout canoe!

The only time I have ever felt that I was in any kind of danger was when we crossed the border back into South Africa. Besides the fact that it is illegal to carry a weapon across most borders, if you do come across bandits who are armed (the most likely places for this are Ethiopia, north eastern Uganda and northern Kenya) they are liable to be carrying AK47s or rocket launchers, so a handgun ain't gonna do much good.

We carry a sjambok, a kierie, pepper spray and a couple of rubber snakes. The snakes work wonders for baboons and people.
    Tony Weaver
    2010 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 3.2l diesel
    Previously
    1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line 3.5l V8; 1968 2.25l Land Rover SII; 1969 2.6l SIIA; 1973 2.25l SIII
    1983 Toyota HiLux 2l 4x4