Defender td5 engine overheated - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

do your sums
    quite often when a motor has seriously overheated, the injectors are cooked - at least have the injectors tested before making a decision - a new set is going to cost you R35 000
    buying a second hand motor with close on 200 000km on the clock is also a gamble - many Td5's get pretty rough when they hit 200 000km and normally injectors are nearing the end of life

depending on the vehicle, investing big money may be over-capitalisisng
    a 1999 - 2001 D2 may not be worth spending big money on
    if it is a Defender, it is a different kettle of fish - you could even consider buying a D2 donor, transplant the engine and strip the rest of the vehicle to recoup your money
    I often run into mechanically very nice D2 Td5 vehicles written off going for around the R30k mark
    GB and TC alone will bring back R10k+
    diffs another R5k+

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

Thank you everyone for your advice.

I am going the second-hand route. My friendly mechanic in Pretoria has found me an engine from a discovery for R 27 000, with turbo. Year 2005, 154 000km, p10, td5, the owner is removing it because he had gearbox problems and is replacing his gearbox and engine with those from some other vehicle. (possibly a Nissan, sounds horrible).

I made the choice because I personally can't tell a Landy engine from a Nissan and so I need to trust someone else to make the judgement calls, my mechanic saw this engine, says it has never been opened and so I'm going with it.

I'll keep you posted on the results

3. The Following User Says Thank You to divadgr For This Useful Post:

Default Carefull!

A 2005 motor should be a > 19P motor, not a 10p motor...A 10P motor was pre 2002, so something is not correct. Also how does one tell if a motor has never been opened just by looking at it??

Angry Now What???

The previous owner swears that he bought the discovery new, 2005 with a 10p td5 engine.

My mechanic says the engine hasn't been opened because there are no scratches on the relevant nuts. Maybe I'm just being taken for a ride.
    Last edited by divadgr; 2014/04/03 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Added information
    2000 Defender td5

Question

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMad View Post
    +1

Yes I've had 1 customer buying from Engines Galore. It lasted out my gate and back in again...
    Anyone else with experience with these guys? The R 27 500 td5 does nomally cost R 38 000

Here is what they promise:
    " Your engine comes with a 6 month warranty or 15'000Km whichever comes 1st.

Warranty on Engine
    The Engines is a complete Head, Block & Sump Reconditioned

New front timing chain

New water pump New gaskets new

Front and rear main oil seals new

Engine and all parts will be cleaned with alkaline.

Injectors and Turbo must be tested by accredited dealer and report sent to us, radiator and intercooler cleaned and repaired. 1000km oil service must be done. "

They say that they can cut costs because they take out the middle man.

Still tempted
    2000 Defender td5

Default Donor is 2001 not 2005

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    A 2005 motor should be a > 19P motor, not a 10p motor...A 10P motor was pre 2002, so something is not correct.
    I found the problem, finally after some arguments with my mechanic i got the VIN and engine numbers from the donor Discovery.

VIN:
    SALLTGM931A718644

Apparently the 8th digit refers to the engine (9) 2.5L, inline 5 cylinder, turbo-diesel (Td5) EGR without Cat (Disco II)

The 10th digit (1) refers to a 2000 to 2001 vehicle. not the 2005 they promised

This was before the discovery facelift and new td5 so the 10P engine could easily be the original.

Engine number is: 10p106178. All I can tell from that is that it is a 10p

It's a pity that it's the old model but for now I'm too fed up to find another so I'm getting it.
    2000 Defender td5

Default Re: td5 engine overheated

Hi all

An update to this saga a few years later. 2014-2016

I finally decided on a second-hand td5 engine from a disco 2. It was installed and tested.

On the way home (~20km) it was fine. At home I fiddled with the water reservoir . I had decided that it may have leaked and caused the overheating engine in the first place. The leaking was due to a hole that had been drilled into the reservoir by a previous owner for a temperature gauge . Ages ago he had removed the gauge and had plugged the hole with a nice tight screw but I didn't trust it. So after spending a fortune on the new engine I decided to replace that screw with another one with a rubber washer. When doing that I spilled lots of water but I happily replaced it and decided to buy a new reservoir ASAP.

I drove another 5km, and when I got home it started blowing clouds of steam. My friendly mechanic turned up after-hours and told me off for getting air into the cooling system. He revved the engine and replaced the water and said it would be fine now.

Next day I was supposed to drive from Pretoria to Pietermaritzburg (for my wedding) and I bought a new water reservoir on the way. Of course I was in a hurry so didn't get anyone to replace it for me. I headed off towards Jo'burg and on the way the darn thing started overheating again. By that time I was getting quite frustrated with the whole thing (and had a day to get to my wedding). I had the new reservoir and thought I'd install it on the side of the road. Not a hard job. I replaced it quickly and did all the revving and bleeding of the coolant system to get the bubbles out. Then when all was nice and cool I started on the road to Jo'burg again.

My work didn't help (or caused more problems), it started overheating again. I tried to limp into Jo'burg but in the attempt everything got very hot once more. In short the Landy ended up on a flatbed truck on the way back to the mechanic and I went to my wedding in a hire-car. The new engine had to be overhauled (cylinder head had warped) and I couldn't blame the mechanic because I had fiddled.

Lessons learned: 1) don't drill holes in the water reservoir, 2) don't plug holes with screws, 3) If you think your mechanic has screwed up don't fiddle, get him to fix it 4) Never, ever drive an overheating car further than you need to!

Other than that and since the overhaul that disco engine has been great. The centrifugal oil filter top came off one in Kuruman, leading to an interesting weekend in a strange town. The oil cooler also started leaking into the water, leading to expensive replacement of all my rubber hoses (my fault too I think, using crappy hard water for coolant). Other than that, no worries and the Landy is sitting at 35 000km.

All the best
    2000 Defender td5

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to divadgr For This Useful Post:

Default Re: td5 engine overheated

out of interest, does anyone know if LR sells a td5 sub assembly? thought would solve a lot of issues when combined with a new head?
    Discovery 1 300tdi (Sold)
    Discovery 2 td5
    Discovery 3 SE V8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2