1988 Golf 1.6 diesel vasbyter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 1988 Golf 1.6 diesel vasbyter

If you still have one of these cars running you will understand this little story. So last night 20h30 eldest son came home from Bloem (student) with friend and neef en niggie (all students).

Before we even greeted properly "Pa daar is iets fout met die clutch. Hy wil nie lekker in rat gaan nie" So popped the hood and low and behold " Hy sal nie in rat gaan nie want die %&*%@# engine mounting is morsaf en die manifold druk op die selector!!!"

So it turns out they hit a car sized pothole close to the town of Memel, which caused the engine mounting to shear. The engine then fell onto the belt cover, which broke and finally coming to rest on the belt tensioner (badly dented but still rotating).

For those who don`t believe in a higher hand chew on this. The young lot carried onwards 50km to our lovely town in the green province, with the timing belt tensioner running against the broken engine mounting. When I removed the cover the belt was tattered, the pulley cooking hot, but it did not skip a tooth and the timing was stil spot on.

Luckily granddad lives down the street and he was/is a "super" boilermaker by trade. So by 24h00 last night we had the engine mounting fixed, tensioner pulley sorted. This morning fitted new tyres and junior and his friend is at the moment fiiting spotlights so he can see the potholes next time.

We are living life filled by moments and hours of grace.

Groete

Amen8)8)
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

Quote Originally Posted by Tweeling View Post
    Amen8)8)
    Yes Amen to that.

Chris.

Eish.......

We had one of those 1.6 Diesels. A 1983 model. Slow as hell, but SO light on diesel. Did it up to look like a new CitiGolf, and used to get a huge kick about stopping at a garage (freeing it in, engine off) dad walking from one pump to another, and then declaring in front of the diesel pump "This one's the cheapest. Fill her up!". A few times we had to spend a lot of time proving to the owner of the garage that it WAS in fact a diesel... :-)
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

just how light were they on diesel?

and do you add 2SO?
    2015 Amarok BITDI D/Cab 4 Motion
    2011 Amarok TDI D/Cab 4x2 (SOLD)
    2001 Isuzu KB 320 V6 D/Cab 4x2 (SOLD)

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an expert in the subject posted about above, i'm a member of an internet forum only and my comments, advise, suggestions and ideas should be taken from that point of view

We had two when I was a teenager and they used to give over 20km/l with ease
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    We had two when I was a teenager and they used to give over 20km/l with ease
    20km/l without a turbo. That's the IDEAL student car/city commuter. unless it was VERY slow?

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an expert in the subject posted about above, i'm a member of an internet forum only and my comments, advise, suggestions and ideas should be taken from that point of view

I suppose in today's terms it will be termed slow, although at the time I didn't think it was that bad. Its no rocket, but it goes well enough. At Reef altitudes it might be problematic though.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

i suppose it will also not pass European emission requirements

Well, we might be stretching it a bit when we talk European emission standards, but it only smokes on start-up. Thereafter it is quite good. Vasbyter gets 19km/l on the Bloem an back trips, but I think it has more to do with the fact that junior is now in his 4th year and not sticking to the originally agreed 110km/h. I must add that the little chariot is now nearing the 400K mark and obviously not at its prime any more. Never added 2 stroke, and not my intention to get into that debate. In my mind there is no better value for money. It beats a motorcycle as student transport hands down.

my son will be turning 17 in 2024, id like to buy it from you around that time please

my son will be turning 17 in 2024, id like to buy it from you around that time please
    Ha,ha... good one. He will have to wait in line though. Two younger brothers are now 14, and Vasbyter is scheduled to do duty when it is their turn to go study. After that we shall see what is left. Seriously though, I am considering buying a second golf and install a diesel engine (VW 1.6 non turbo). Almost a straight fit into a citi. You only need to modify the right side engine mounting by cutting a V into the engine side mounting plate. Move the top part of the firewall sligtly back (if fitting a non turbo). Fit a diesel filter and Bob`s your uncle. The imported motors are derived from Jetta 2 and 3, and have a bigger airbox. The reason for moving back the firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonP View Post
    20km/l without a turbo. That's the IDEAL student car/city commuter. unless it was VERY slow?

If its slow, then its by far the best student car! Trust me, students and speed is not the perfect mix

All my kids now have Citi Golfs. Golf 1 is still an excellent vehicle.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by LeonP View Post
    20km/l
    That sounds very wrong. I believe it should be around 30+km/l

I have done Cape Town - Oudhthoorn and back on 1 tank (4 people with camping stuff) and those tanks werent very big either. 30 something liter...

You have to know how to drive a diesel tho. Run her on torque and she lights up her pirellis no problem...
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

When I was looking for my first car years ago, I was actually looking for one of the diesels but could not get one at the time. Ended up buying a 1980 1300 model with the distributor still horizontal on the side of the motor. Beautiful little car with lots of memories but that one was NOT very fuel efficient

Don't you just love the Veedubs
    Jacques

2013 Amarok BiTDi DC 4Motion
    2018 Bushlapa Ratel 4 Military Edition - BL1402

Sold - 2011 Conqueror Comfort
    Sold - 2004 Isuzu KB300 DC (was only 4x2 but a happy 240000km and 9 years)

Quote Originally Posted by RogueFrontier View Post
    That sounds very wrong. I believe it should be around 30+km/l

I have done Cape Town - Oudhthoorn and back on 1 tank (4 people with camping stuff) and those tanks werent very big either. 30 something liter...

You have to know how to drive a diesel tho. Run her on torque and she lights up her pirellis no problem...
    what? if you can get 30km/l out of a 4 seater hatch without the risk of a turbo, then why did vw discontinue it. sounds like an opportunity :-)

Default Re: 1988 Golf 1.6 diesel vasbyter

Well it has been quite a few years since I started this thread. Ouboet upgraded to a Polo vivo max last year and passed the diesel citi on to his twin siblings. The little golfie is now well past the 400 000 km mark, and doing the varsity run.

I am amazed that it managed close to 19km a litre on the down run to home and today fully loaded with food and clothes for 2 months managed 18,1km per litre on the uprun to varsity.

The engine is still unopened, and this weekend we had to replace the rear window wiper arm at the costly sum of R150 at the agents nogal. This still remains the best value for money I ever spent on transport.

Groetnis
    Last edited by Beurvoort; 2019/03/31 at 06:42 PM.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beurvoort For This Useful Post:

I love the Mk1 Golfs as well as the Citi Golfs. The Mk2 Golf is almost as brilliant. My Mk2 Jetta 1.8CSX was a stunning vehicle.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

My first car was the predecessor to the 1600, it was a 1500 diesel. I did just over 300k on it in a VERY short time (about 7 years), before SWAMBO seized it solid after a radiator hose popped. I gave it to my uncle who was a diesel mechanic, he rebuilt the engine and if I recall correctly he ran that car for another 20 years or so before he sold it to a friend who then converted it to a 1600. During that time my uncle did several Namibia trips with the little golf, so I estimate the engine must have had well over half a million on the clock when he finally sold it. they were lovely cars. C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast