Baviaans Kloof trip info - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

We do the Baviaans with our beach(bush) buggies and it really is easy. I have even pulled a small home built off road trailer from the Patensie side to Doodsklip but that was years ago. The kloof is never really bad unless it's had bad rains.
    Beautiful place.

Thank you,now for some planning ..
    2005 Isuzu KB300 D/C Auto
    2014 Isuzu Kb300 4x4

Been there with my ranger 42 no problems.
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XL Plus 2015 4X4. Now with Cooper S/T,Hella Spotlights, ARB Bull Bar, LAS Econoline Rear Bumper, Customised Rims, Stofpad Rocksliders, Auxiliary Battery Factory Fitted, Fridge Slider, Drawer System with Wolf Pack, Pro Fender Shocks with Extender Shackles and Spacers, Bash Plate, Escape Gear Seat Covers, Hytera two-way Radio, Associer Wiring Harness. Memories- Ford Ranger 3.0 2007 and 2011, Ford Ranger 1.8 LWB, Mazda Drifter 2002.

Howzit Guys, my first post on the forum, so if this the wrong thread to post my question, please forgive me. I've been reading the posts on this thread and driving through the Baviaans is one of my missions in life too. We are planning to go in August for the first time. I recently bought a new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and have two questions: 1. The Grand comes with all the bells and whistles for off-roading, so I am confident that vehicle is more than capable to handle a variety of road types. Unfortunately, it also comes with standard road tyres. Do I need off road tyres to tackle the Kloof? The standard tyres should be able to handle a grade 2 road, I guess, but I have no idea what the Kloof looks like. Will the standard tyres be sufficient? 2. How wide is the road in general? When I read some people's posts, I see that one has to pull over for oncoming traffic? I don't mind this, but I don't want to enter a bushy/tree area where the road is so narrow that I will end up with a scratch vehicle on the sides/roof. Went through this once and had to re-spray my car. So, any comments? Advice? Thanks! J

Sorry, forgot to mention... We will not be doing any 4x4 trails this time. Just driving through from Willowmore to Patensie on normal route.

Hi Jakkie

Road tyres won't be a problem. There are lots of places where the road is only wide enough for one car, but then there are also lotsa of places to pull over for oncoming traffic 8) the people are very friendly in the Kloof

If you don't want to drive over a small bush to pull over then convince the other guy to pull over most people there are pull over before you find a place to pull over anyway...like I said, very friendly people

Just be prepared to travel for a long time and enjoy the trip

What tyres are on the jeep?

Hi Tintin, thanks for the reply. You say that sometimes the width is just enough for one car? Even with this, are the branches and tree stumps still well clear from the car? Or is it a tight fit? If memory serves me, its 265/50/20 Sonar tyres all around. Cheers, J

Defender Toppie just bought a plot outside steytlerville

So Baviaans will see me more when I go and visit my parents
    One life Live it

Take The Roads less traveled

Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel

Quote Originally Posted by Jakkie75 View Post
    Hi Tintin, thanks for the reply. You say that sometimes the width is just enough for one car? Even with this, are the branches and tree stumps still well clear from the car? Or is it a tight fit? If memory serves me, its 265/50/20 Sonar tyres all around. Cheers, J
    It is not a tight fit and you should not scratch your Jeep where the road is narrow i.e. wide enough for one car only.

Road tyres is fine for this gravel road but remember the risk of a flat tyre on gravel roads with normal tyres.

Like Heinrich said, you won't scratch your jeep. There are no branches or stumps in the road...I can only remember one spot where there are some long soft leaves sticking out on the side of the road

Default Baviaans

You might pick up a few scratches
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.<O</O

Best to deflate tyres when on the gravel. Will make the trip all the more comfortable...
    ----------------------------
    Jeep Grand Cherokee, Current
    Overland CRD 2009 (Oh hell yes!!)
    Mopar Superchip - 200kw 600Nm, 50mm lift, Dick Cepek rims, rear bash plate, Mopar towhitch.

Jeep Grand Cherokee, SOLD
    Laredo, 2004 - V8 4.7L (Oh yes!!)
    2.5" lift, BulliProp!, 245/75/R17 Wrangler A/T's

Audi A4, FOR SALE
    Exec. 2001 - 2L (mmmmm!)

That is awesome! Thanks guys for the help. Ideally one should not have 20" rims on the Jeep for offroad 4x4 conditions. 17" or 18" rims would be more ideal. It gives you that extra cushion effect when deflatting the wheels. I'm just not sure if I am willing to spent R20k on a set of rims and tyres... Maybe a second hand set just for off roading. Speaking of which, what tyre presure do you recommend for the Kloof? 2.0 bar? Currently I run on 2.6 on normal road. I recon 1.6 is taking it a far... risking damaging the rims? Your thoughts?

Aaauuwww, now KampGat threw a spanner in the works. Was this the worse area of flora on the road? Is there maybe a product available on the market that one can stick to the side of the vehicle and peel off later? Like plastic protective sticker? I have this on my bike. Just not sure if you get it for larger vehicles?

Aaauuwww, now KampGat threw a spanner in the works. Was this the worse area of flora on the road? Is there maybe a product available on the market that one can stick to the side of the vehicle and peel off later? Like plastic protective sticker? I have this on my bike. Just not sure if you get it for larger vehicles?
    You do get this.. just can't remember the name of it now... it's quite $$$

For a cheaper option, look at Laminex.. the clear variety of course.Available at Autostyles, local bling-bling car shops should also have it..
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. (Ingwe)

That is awesome! Thanks guys for the help. Ideally one should not have 20" rims on the Jeep for offroad 4x4 conditions. 17" or 18" rims would be more ideal. It gives you that extra cushion effect when deflatting the wheels. I'm just not sure if I am willing to spent R20k on a set of rims and tyres... Maybe a second hand set just for off roading. Speaking of which, what tyre presure do you recommend for the Kloof? 2.0 bar? Currently I run on 2.6 on normal road. I recon 1.6 is taking it a far... risking damaging the rims? Your thoughts?
    I go down to 1.6bar on my Jeep when on Gravel, I have 16" rims though.

See if you can pick up a used set of JK rims and tyres (not sure they will fit your GC though, they will fit mine). There are lots of them for sale on Gumtree or on this forum, as the JK owners upgrade.

PS: You wont pick up any scratches, if you worried, take along MIL to hold back the branches or better still, give her a pair of pruning shears...
    Last edited by MikeS; 2014/06/06 at 11:46 AM.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee, Current
    Overland CRD 2009 (Oh hell yes!!)
    Mopar Superchip - 200kw 600Nm, 50mm lift, Dick Cepek rims, rear bash plate, Mopar towhitch.

Jeep Grand Cherokee, SOLD
    Laredo, 2004 - V8 4.7L (Oh yes!!)
    2.5" lift, BulliProp!, 245/75/R17 Wrangler A/T's

Audi A4, FOR SALE
    Exec. 2001 - 2L (mmmmm!)

Quote Originally Posted by KampGat View Post
    You might pick up a few scratches
    Sorry, this is what I was refering to as 'soft leaves'

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    You do get this.. just can't remember the name of it now... it's quite $$$

For a cheaper option, look at Laminex.. the clear variety of course.Available at Autostyles, local bling-bling car shops should also have it..
    I think VPS is the brand you're thinking of?? I know they do a clear protective coat for vehicles

LOL. Maybe I should consider the MIL option. Not sure what the brand is, but I will consult my friend Google... Thanks again for the help guys. If I dont come right with a set of second hand rims/tyres for the GC, Im going to deflate to 1.8 and become really religious.

There's a place called LLumar that fits a clear film on vehicles. I requested a quote. Lets see if I am still alive later today, or suffered a heart attack when the reply...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast