Discovery 3 Needs new pads soon





Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bordeaux, Randburg
    Age
    55
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0

    Default Needs new pads soon

    Hi guys,

    Just bought a Disco 3 V8 (2006), and sure enough, one week later, the brake pad warning light comes on.

    So I know I will need pads soon, and the discs (all 4) have quite a lip on their edge. So will probably need new discs as well.

    I got a quote from Powerbrake, and they suggest replacing the front discs and pads with their options (A/T or Long Life) (R 4.7k) , and using OE for the rears (price ??).

    Does anyone have any experience with these?

    Does anyone have any other recommendations?

    Cheers

    Paul
    -------------------------------------------------
    2006 Discovery 3 V8 SE (Lumpy)
    1973 Series III Station Wagon 2.25 Petrol (Mafuta)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,707
    Thanked: 46

    Default

    Why would you need to go with the Power Brake upgrade?

    The V8 already has the larger discs and pads for an increased braking force.

    You can buy pads/discs from Midas/Autozone.

    If you want to replace the sensor then you can buy from Dover/Brittish 4x4 etc.

    Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    St.Helena Baai
    Age
    46
    Posts
    40
    Thanked: 4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post
    Why would you need to go with the Power Brake upgrade?

    The V8 already has the larger discs and pads for an increased braking force.

    You can buy pads/discs from Midas/Autozone.

    If you want to replace the sensor then you can buy from Dover/Brittish 4x4 etc.
    +1
    Disco 3 TDV6
    Disco 3 V8 SE A/T (SOLD)
    SWAMBO - BMW 120d A/T

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bordeaux, Randburg
    Age
    55
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Hi Fargo, Silver Shadow,

    That's exactly the advice I needed. I have no real reason to upgrade the brakes as they seem more than adequate - just thought I'd investigate some possibilities.

    Midas/Autozone it is - as well as Bodsy's Brake Bible.

    Hopefully I don't break the sensor during the replacement.

    Thanks again,

    Paul
    -------------------------------------------------
    2006 Discovery 3 V8 SE (Lumpy)
    1973 Series III Station Wagon 2.25 Petrol (Mafuta)

  5. #5
    2beFree Guest

    Default

    Paul

    Surely if you bought the vehicle a week ago the dealer should replace brakes and discs for you? Just wondering out loud? The only upgrade for V8 brakes IMHO would be BREMBO brakes.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bordeaux, Randburg
    Age
    55
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    It's a bit complicated.

    My Trade-In was not the year I thought it was - so had to 'pay in', he replaced tyres on Disco, I had to replace tyre on Jetta, he had to replace turbo pipe on Jetta... Basically a lot of haggling and deal making. But I *think* I came out on top... Eventually.

    Happy to do pads; and now understand that I don't need to upgrade them.

    Discs are within tolerance (despite lip) so will get them skimmed, and likely to last until next pad replacement, so also no need to replace them yet.

    Thanks guys, picking up pads to day for a DIY install (Thanks Bodsy).
    -------------------------------------------------
    2006 Discovery 3 V8 SE (Lumpy)
    1973 Series III Station Wagon 2.25 Petrol (Mafuta)

  7. #7
    2beFree Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie64 View Post
    It's a bit complicated.

    My Trade-In was not the year I thought it was - so had to 'pay in', he replaced tyres on Disco, I had to replace tyre on Jetta, he had to replace turbo pipe on Jetta... Basically a lot of haggling and deal making. But I *think* I came out on top... Eventually.

    Happy to do pads; and now understand that I don't need to upgrade them.

    Discs are within tolerance (despite lip) so will get them skimmed, and likely to last until next pad replacement, so also no need to replace them yet.

    Thanks guys, picking up pads to day for a DIY install (Thanks Bodsy).
    Good to hear Lumpy has new takkies and that the brakes will get sorted.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    36
    Posts
    67
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie64 View Post
    Hopefully I don't break the sensor during the replacement.
    If the warning light has come on already it is too late for the sensor, you will need to replace the sensor anyways. Only way to save the sensor is to replace the pads before the light comes on. Once the warning light comes on the sensor has already worn through.
    2006 Discovery 3 V8 SE
    1997 Discovery V8

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    49
    Posts
    7,025
    Thanked: 988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by louisrdev View Post
    If the warning light has come on already it is too late for the sensor, you will need to replace the sensor anyways. Only way to save the sensor is to replace the pads before the light comes on. Once the warning light comes on the sensor has already worn through.
    That's about right. If you replace the brakes before the warning light you might be able to re-use the sensor.
    A Landy Specialist recommended Messi Pads for my Disco 3, got them from Midas at a good price.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

  10. #10
    2beFree Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disco-Deon View Post
    That's about right. If you replace the brakes before the warning light you might be able to re-use the sensor.
    A Landy Specialist recommended Messi Pads for my Disco 3, got them from Midas at a good price.
    Deon and the sensors; are they available at MIDAS too or LR, Dover?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    49
    Posts
    7,025
    Thanked: 988

    Default

    I got the sensor from Landy-Online for about 40% of the price LR quoted
    Last edited by Disco-Deon; 2014/03/18 at 12:22 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

  12. #12
    2beFree Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disco-Deon View Post
    I got the sensor from Landy-Online
    ok thanks

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,707
    Thanked: 46

    Default

    I dont bother with sensors any more. I check the breakpads regularly myself.

    Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

  14. #14
    2beFree Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post
    I dont bother with sensors any more. I check the breakpads regularly myself.

    Craig do these sensors only detect the wear of the brake-pad and serve no other purpose?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dowerglen
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,161
    Thanked: 708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Craig do these sensors only detect the wear of the brake-pad and serve no other purpose?
    Yes, just there to indicate that the pads are worn to a point of replacement.

    If you choose not to use them then you need to take an old worn set, short the 2 cables feeding the sensor, that way your brake indicator turns off.

    Then you check your pads every so often, like it used to be in the old days before we all became sensor dependant..
    Every dog has its day, and those with broken tails have their weak-ends...

    1976 CJ-7, 400CI + Holley EFI, Tera-Low 3,15:1 twin stick, ARB's front & rear, oil leaks & plenty more....

    All my other petrol burners are boring....

  16. #16
    2beFree Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcochezzi View Post
    Yes, just there to indicate that the pads are worn to a point of replacement.

    If you choose not to use them then you need to take an old worn set, short the 2 cables feeding the sensor, that way your brake indicator turns off.

    Then you check your pads every so often, like it used to be in the old days before we all became overly sensortive..
    Fixed, Thanks Marco

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,707
    Thanked: 46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Craig do these sensors only detect the wear of the brake-pad and serve no other purpose?
    Yes exactly what was said by Marcochezzi. You dont even need an old set, use the current sensor and cut its "head" off and just bridge the 2 wires.

    Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

  18. #18
    2beFree Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post
    Yes exactly what was said by Marcochezzi. You dont even need an old set, use the current sensor and cut its "head" off and just bridge the 2 wires.
    cool bananas - thanks Craig

Similar Threads

  1. Hilux 3.0d4d 2010 front brake pads
    By landbruiser in forum Toyota
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2013/07/31, 07:31 PM
  2. Copper Slip on brake pads? * Please help
    By Kierie in forum General 4x4 Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 2013/07/16, 07:11 AM
  3. Wrangler 2dr TJ Sahara Front Discs and Brake Pads 2002 Model
    By Nano Fire in forum Jeep
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 2011/08/05, 12:19 AM
  4. Advise on brake pads
    By Hardieman in forum Jeep
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2008/02/25, 05:45 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •