Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

So the plot thickens

Malaysia’s Berita Harian newspaper quoted air force chief Rodzali Daud as saying the missing plane was last detected by military radar at 2:40 a.m. on Saturday, near the island of Pulau Perak at the northern end of the Strait of Malacca.

The time given by Rodzali was an hour and 10 minutes after the plane vanished from air traffic control screens over Igari waypoint, midway between Malaysia and Vietnam.

"It changed course after Kota Bharu and took a lower altitude. It made it into the Malacca Strait," the military official, who has been briefed on investigations, told Reuters.
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 Supercab 4x4

PBE Duel battery system
    Ironman front bumper
    Ironman suspension 70mm lift
    Ironman Snorkel
    Ironman Rocksliders
    Custom built hunting rack/canopy
    Escape Gear seat covers
    Black Rhino Imperial Rims
    Maxxis Bighorn 764 265/70R17
    Stofpad Bashplate & gearbox plate
    CobraX spats
    Easyawn RTT
    Gerbers 83L Long Range Tank
    More soon

Quote Originally Posted by rechardt View Post
    So NASA has this animal of a satellite in orbit that can check if u having crap...and they cant find a plane.... Yoh.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Sorry, nope. NASA does not operate spy satellites.
    Cobus
    Jimny

Quote Originally Posted by Barend D View Post
    So the plot thickens

Malaysia’s Berita Harian newspaper quoted air force chief Rodzali Daud as saying the missing plane was last detected by military radar at 2:40 a.m. on Saturday, near the island of Pulau Perak at the northern end of the Strait of Malacca.

The time given by Rodzali was an hour and 10 minutes after the plane vanished from air traffic control screens over Igari waypoint, midway between Malaysia and Vietnam.

"It changed course after Kota Bharu and took a lower altitude. It made it into the Malacca Strait," the military official, who has been briefed on investigations, told Reuters.
    So Pulau Perak is on the western side of the peninsula?

Kota Bharu is about correct for the flight path?

But then it must have turned sharply onto a Westerly or SW heading?

Doesn't make sense unless it was flying towards northern Sumatra?

Quote Originally Posted by jab2 View Post
    Sorry, nope. NASA does not operate spy satellites.
    The NSA does and they never tell.

So far 19 phones have appeared to ring.....
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Yes, thats why I wonder the same thing. It had to turn almost directly West to end up where it did on military radar.

PBE Duel battery system
    Ironman front bumper
    Ironman Snorkel
    Ironman Rocksliders
    Escape Gear seat covers
    CobraX spats
    Easyawn RTT
    More soon

so it took the military 3 days to come forth with information about a plane violating its airspace..........

while knowing a plane is missing..........

and its flying at an awkward altitude...........
    2015 Amarok BITDI D/Cab 4 Motion
    2011 Amarok TDI D/Cab 4x2 (SOLD)
    2001 Isuzu KB 320 V6 D/Cab 4x2 (SOLD)

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an expert in the subject posted about above, i'm a member of an internet forum only and my comments, advise, suggestions and ideas should be taken from that point of view

Quote Originally Posted by LeonP View Post
    the sad reality that the industry needs to explain here, is how it loses a multi million dollar , state of the art aircraft, with 227 fare paying citizens of various countries.

i can send and receive text messages via the onboard system from the other side of the world during flight.

so why cant it send gps info in case of emergency
    True. The space shuttle had megabytes of telemetry flowing to NASA on each flight. I also cannot understand that with satellite phone tech they can't get a consistent data link up and working for commercial flights.
    As you say, you only need to send the GPS point every couple of seconds, that's a 20 bit packet per data stream.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...malaysia-plane

Interesting read, private satellite's are much more capable than NASA's and are being used as search and rescue

PBE Duel battery system
    Ironman front bumper
    Ironman Snorkel
    Ironman Rocksliders
    Escape Gear seat covers
    CobraX spats
    Easyawn RTT
    More soon

Malaysia Airlines says it is investigating an Australia television report that the co-pilot on its missing flight had invited two women to stay in the cockpit for a flight two years ago

PBE Duel battery system
    Ironman front bumper
    Ironman Snorkel
    Ironman Rocksliders
    Escape Gear seat covers
    CobraX spats
    Easyawn RTT
    More soon

I'm going to eat some humble pie and acknowledge Barend could be right in light of the new "evidence".

But what astounds me is that it is possible to switch of every form of contact with an aircraft while in flight. Why would one allow this sort of override unless it's parked on the ground?
    Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

I'm going to eat some humble pie and acknowledge Barend could be right in light of the new "evidence".
    Pics, please!

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post

But what astounds me is that it is possible to switch of every form of contact with an aircraft while in flight. Why would one allow this sort of override unless it's parked on the ground?
    Power management/saving for more flight critical systems?
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Why, I cant answer you exactly but can maybe help shed some light.

All aircraft systems runs on circuit breakers and I mean all of them. There has been many accidents in the past where people have popped critical breakers on the ground because they give alarms and never pushed back before take-off with fatal results. There has been accidents(suicide) where its been proven that the pilot popped the breakers to the black boxes. This is all in the name of safety. If you have a short you dont want a fire at 35000ft so the circuit beaker helps you.

As far as radar goes older systems were on or off. Transponders (aircrafts side of radar) is a key component in TCAS. With TCAS aircraft will warn pilots of other aircraft in the vicinity and will eventually take action for you. If a aircraft is on final approach and another is waiting for take off if the transponder is not off the landing aircraft will just see a accident coming and take avoiding action. New mode S and ADS-B they will go on standby on the ground but its still only a button and you can turn them off. You can take the button away but the circuit breaker will remain.

Option left is to run a independent battery with a gps/position transmitter and have the battery charnged by the APU. This means no in flight charging but eliminates the risk of overheating batteries and minimal circuits that can give problems. The industry will greatly oppose this as we have 15000 commercial aircraft(100+ seats) in our skies. Cost of development and installation will possibly be tenths of thousands US$ if not hundreds of thousands US$ per aircraft.
    Last edited by Barend D; 2014/03/11 at 08:46 PM.

PBE Duel battery system
    Ironman front bumper
    Ironman Snorkel
    Ironman Rocksliders
    Escape Gear seat covers
    CobraX spats
    Easyawn RTT
    More soon

Transponder turned off deliberately?

But if the flight traveled west over Peninsular Malaysia, as the air force chief was quoted saying, it would have flown very close to a beacon in the city of Kota Bharu operated by Flightradar24, a global tracking system for commercial aircraft.

Mikael Robertsson, the co-founder of Flightradar24, said the transponder on the jet never sent a signal to that receiver, which means that if the plane did fly that way, its transponder had either been knocked out of service by damage or had been shut off.
    “We see every aircraft that flies over there, even if it’s very, very low, so if it flew over there, the transponder was off,” he said.

A pilot can turn off the transponder, Mr. Robertsson said, and the fact that the last contact from the Malaysia Airlines flight’s transponder came at roughly the same time that the cockpit crew stopped communicating with ground controllers by radio suggests that that is what happened, Mr. Robertsson said.

“I guess to me it sounds like they were turned off deliberately.” The plane disappeared from Flightradar24’s tracking system at 1:21 a.m. Saturday while flying at 35,000 feet over the Gulf of Thailand; Malaysia Airlines has said that the last radio communication with the pilots was at about 1:30 a.m., but has not given a precise time.

Mr. Robertsson noted that since the plane had been fully fueled for a trip to Beijing, it could have traveled a great distance beyond its last reported position.

“The aircraft could have continued another five or six hours out into the ocean,” he said. “It could have gone to India.” - New York Times

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Barend D View Post
    So the plot thickens

Now the military are denying this...

Wierd
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

I’ve heard on the radio this morning that the cell phones of passengers are ringing and goes to voicemail, what is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by toppie4x4 View Post
    I’ve heard on the radio this morning that the cell phones of passengers are ringing and goes to voicemail, what is going on?

Refer my previous post regarding cell phones
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

CNN raises an interesting point today. If it sank in the Mallaca Straits , the sounds of any beacons would be drowned by the shipping there being the busiest shipping lane in the world ?
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

First time in my life that I've wanted to be a spectator at a meal!
    Andrew Beuster

Amarok milk bottle

"So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast