Garmin 3597- help needed

Default Garmin 3597- help needed

I have just bought a new Garmin 3597. First impressions are that there is a woeful lack of information in the box to get started. After visiting the Garmin website I downloaded the Garmin Express and installed the software. After attaching the unit to my PC I have a screen message that says this device is not supported by Garmin Express, despite all the supporting documentation suggesting that it is. If I am not able to connect to a PC then I cannot register the device or receive map updates! WHAT am I doing wrong? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. John

Take PC and unit to where you bought it from and get them to set it up for you.If u have a desk PC then take Garmin back to shop and get them to register it there for you.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

When plugged into your Pc, does it show up in Explorer as a drive with all the files in it?

I have a 3597 and do not experience the same fault, so I'm sure we can resolve it.

Start Garmin Express on your PC. After it starts up, then connect your GPS unit. Does your PC install any Garmin USB drivers? (message box bottom left of your screen) Does it immediately say your device is not supported? Does Garmin Express not ask to register the device?

Also see a previous post of mine on Garmin Express here: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...Garmin+Express

Try Garmin Map Updater software and see if that gives you the same error message.
    -

Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto
    (Tough Dog Suspension / Frontrunner Roofrack and some more goodies...)

@Hunter, thanks for the good suggestion that might be the final solution. But I bought the unit in Jhb and I live in Port Elizabeth. If need be I will contact a local agent.
    @F. Viljoen, the Garmin Express would eventually locate the unit but said it did not support this model. I did not look to see if it showed in Explorer but I will check this when I get home tonight.
    @Sniper, I may have partially resolved my problem as I could not locate a satellite whilst at my PC (hardly surprising) so have placed the unit in the car and now I have navigation. I am hoping that when I reconnect to my PC that it will then recognize the unit. My PC did launch Express but after plugging in the unit it took more than 10 minutes to discover the unit and then declare that Express does support 3597. At no time could I access a link to register the unit but after reading your previous post, I am sure I will make progress tonight. Many thanks.

Problem solved after plugging unit into USB port at the back of my PC, not the front ones. Not sure why this worked as front USB work fine with card readers etc but not with Garmin. Many thanks for your helpful comments.

Glad you got it sorted. Yeah, some times front USB messes me around with some of my external HD's as well...
    -

Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto
    (Tough Dog Suspension / Frontrunner Roofrack and some more goodies...)

Thanks Sniper. I have now downloaded Basecamp and plotted my route on PC from PE to Deception valley. This was not easy and took an hour. I then went to the 3597 and did the same route to Rakops and it took 1 minute. So I am not sure why i should be planning routes with Basecamp unless T4A needs Basecamp to function. So i wonder why i need Basecamp with this Garmin?

Hi Tregonomy,

You don't need Basecamp for T4A to function, only if you want to view your maps on your PC then you need Basecamp/Mapsource. If you want to plan routes or make waypoints on your PC, you need those programmes, otherwise you can do everything on your unit itself.

Mandy
    T4A

Thanks Mandy, I thought that would be the case. I am sure I will find the benefits of T4A when I understand and become more proficient in route planning. Until then the daily school run seems to be going smoothly!

You will most likely find that the front USB ports are not supplying enough power to the external device due to being a lower level of USB than the back ones e.g. USB 1 instead of USB 2.

Bit of a ridiculous way of lowering cost, in my opinion.
    2014 Honda Accord 3.5 V6

Agreed, thanks tdejongh for confirming my suspicions!