Skid plate for Pathfinder

Question Skid plate for Pathfinder

I need some help with a skid plate for my Pathfinder. I get conflicting reports as far as the requirement to fit a skidplate if I want to do serious sand driving. Do I need to replace the current protective plate with something else? If so, does anybody know whether a standard plate is available.

Quote Originally Posted by oulouis View Post
    I need some help with a skid plate for my Pathfinder. I get conflicting reports as far as the requirement to fit a skidplate if I want to do serious sand driving. Do I need to replace the current protective plate with something else? If so, does anybody know whether a standard plate is available.
    Shoe, Louis - jy moes lank wag vir 'n antwoord.

The Pathfinder's bigest draw back is ground claerance and the low riding radiator in front. This makes it prone to damage (with the air con compressor). I heard that Nissan in Cape Gate can help or advise you on a conversion to move this higher up.

In terms of skid plates, the ones made for off-road work is substantially thicker than the factory fitted ones. I would speak to Chris at R&D in Brackenfell, Cape Town @ 021 982 8921. I have seen their skid plates and tested them first hand.
    Ettienne Myburgh

Nissan Patrol 4.8GL OME, ARB, Drawers, 2nd Battery
    Challenger Off-road trailer with Howlin Moon tent

Dankie Ettienne, ek het begin dink dat ek die enigste Pathfinder eienaar is wat bekommerd is oor potensiele skade aan my motor. Miskien bly die ander eienaars weg van sand af

Hoe dit okal sy, ek sal met die persone soos deur jou genoem kontak maak en terugvoer verskaf.

When I was at LA Sport a while back to have skidplates fitted to the Colt, there were 2 Pathfinders waiting to have plates fitted after being smashed up at Atlantis Dunes.

Mark said at the time it was his 4th Pathfinder to which he was fitting plates AFTER serious damage had been caused to the vehicles.

So yes, these things seem pretty vulnerable underneath, but I wonder if it's not the slightly softer suspension which makes things more prone to bottoming out when impacting sand like that.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

==
    Last edited by Bill Carey; 2012/03/01 at 02:41 AM.
    [

Correct, it was towed for the greater part of the trip by a Cruiser.

Thumbs up

Had my skidplate fitted at LA Sport yesterday. Received good service from the guys. Took a bit longer than originally estimated as some of the holes in the 'of the shelve' plate did not line up with the holes on my car.

Louis,
    ONCA makes a belly plate as part of the replacement bumper. I had both fitted to my NAVARA and I am sure the front set-up is the same as the Pathfinder.

Seems to be a slight difference between the Pathfinder and the Navara - that is why new holes had to be drilled when I had the plate fitted. I think Marc's plates are meant for the Navara.
    Be it as it may, I feel safer now that my plate is fitted.

I think its a good idea for all IFS 4x4 vehicles to have underbody protection. Its a small price to pay. Just imagine if you damage engine and gearbox components at what cost. We all will be a bit careless now and then and bump a rock. This form of protection is inexpensive compared to other stuff.From R1000-00 to about R2000-00 you can manage with something nice.

This is mine on my Hardbody .
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    I would not take any chances when doing any serious dune driving. I read a report some months back of a Pathfinder on a Namib trip that had to be towed out. It had hit a dune too hard and the radiator was dislodged and pushed back into the engine. No way to jury rig a fix.
    None of the approach angles we tackled in the Namib is close to the ones at Atlantis and yet if you ask the guides anything about the Pathfinder, they are anything but impressed due to the recurrent damage these vehicles sustain. Atlantis can be very dangerous and you should watch out. The sand is also more compact (fines) than the Namib sand and the slip faces is slightly steeper.

A suspension upgrade does make a major difference to the risk of damage and I would be very careful with the standard suspension on the Pathfinder.
    Ettienne Myburgh

Nissan Patrol 4.8GL OME, ARB, Drawers, 2nd Battery
    Challenger Off-road trailer with Howlin Moon tent

IMHO skid plates are the most important upgrade on any IFS vehicle!
    * "Wat Spike probeer s in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Hi Bill, guys fitting for me in Cape Town are Alu-Cab. Also got some plates to Nissan S.A. for approval and all aspects of any problems to do with radiators have been adressed.

Charlie Brown

Foundit Guest

Hi, mine comes from La Sport. Also had an ARB front bumper fitted to help with aproach angle, OME suspension lifted the front with 45mm and the BFG tyres, 265/70/17 lifted the underside by another 22mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Foundit View Post
    Hi, mine comes from La Sport. Also had an ARB front bumper fitted to help with aproach angle, OME suspension lifted the front with 45mm and the BFG tyres, 265/70/17 lifted the underside by another 22mm.

When you get a chance post a picture of the mods.. Thanks Ian
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian