650gs vs cbr600

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 650gs vs cbr600

Default 650gs vs cbr600

im at it again. not a double cab this time, but a motorcycle (im beginning to not take myself seriously anymore)

so im happy with the 320kb. will look at the 300tdi again in 4 months time. ive now got the opportunity to buy a 2004 gs650 thumper (single cylinder).

it ticks the economy and comfort boxes, but do i trade my paid off 600rr for it (they will give me R34000 for my 2005 cbr600 with 36000k, gs costs R45000) and finance the rest?

to come to the point. will the comfort and economy of the old single cylinder justify giving away a reliable and well kept 600 that gets the same job done and stops twice as quick.

benefits of switch: cbr gets 14km/l while gs gets 20 - 25. cbr has 4 cylinders vs gs 1. cbr service every 6k , gs i believe is every 10k. gs can climb pavements.

EDIT: Since the gs is off-road capable, its a valid discussion on this website , lol :-)
    Last edited by LeonP; 2014/03/04 at 05:55 PM.
    2011 Amarok TDI D/Cab 4x2
    2001 Isuzu KB 320 V6 D/Cab 4x2

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an expert in the subject posted about above, i'm a member of an internet forum only and my comments, advise, suggestions and ideas should be taken from that point of view

The GS, no debate. Way more comfortable, better consumption, lower running costs and it unlocks the outdoors and gravel roads!

Why are we even having this discussion? Plus you look cooler standing up whilst riding.

This is like asking: "Should I sell my Ferrari to buy a Prado?" Chalk and cheese mate, depends on what you want to do with it?

I will not sell a well looked after 2005 CBR600 for a 2004 650GS, never mind paying in on the deal, but that's just me.

DIRK

WE NEED A BIKE SECTION!!!!

I will say you will miss your CBR's speed! But if you want to take it offroad and play the GS is super!

I must say that the 650 is lighter on petrol than my GS800!! But then I use the extra speed and power on the 800!
    Adriaan

Ferrari to buy a Prado! I think not! More 3 series.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyknocker View Post
    Ferrari to buy a Prado! I think not! More 3 series.
    Nope! It is more 3 Series to buy tractor!

Just joking! The GS650 is a super bike!

Is the one you are looking at a Dakar version?
    Adriaan

No not a dakar. I was looking for one but this is not a dakar one I found.

I'm concerned about the poor brakes on the gs. it was really disappointing and this is a critical requirement for my commute.

But I'm looking for another one to compare, hoping this is just a faulty brake system.

Another point in favor of the switch is that I never exceed 160km/h anyway.

But I like the cbr. Difficult decision. :-(

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an expert in the subject posted about above, i'm a member of an internet forum only and my comments, advise, suggestions and ideas should be taken from that point of view

The way to get used to the dark side. And a more comfortable ride.
    Yes! After a year you will want to upgrade to
    800GS or
    1200GS.

Enjoy the ride
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

their trade in offer seems too low.
    Cant you sell privately and get more?

I'm in the same predicament- whether to sell my Daytona 675 for a gs800, though everytime I go out for a 'ride', I rethink my decision of selling it for a gs.
    It's not leaking oil, it's sweating power!

My 2 cents worth of GS650 experience. I found it a bit cramped for my 1,83m and it gets to you on longer trips. But then again, coming from a CBR, you are most probably used to it already.
    Super smooth, super economical bike but lacked character big time.
    I smelled antifreeze while driving in the rain. Could not see any leaks,water reservoir still full and after a few km's the overheat light came on. I switched off immediately but engine was a goner. Electric fan bracket clipped onto radiator and this chafed the cooling tubes through.
    Driving at 160km/h on a long trip. I lost the master link clip and chain came off. Replace, no problem until you speed up to the 160's, off goes the clip again. Fit circlips in place of clip and problem solved. Months later I met a Dakar 650 rider who never had any problems for countless km's. He mentioned he really pushed his bike hard today to get there in time - doing 160 at times. I jokingly asked him if his masterlink is still ok. Low and behold, his masterlink clip was gone.

I am not a GS 650 fan but I have not heard of other people complaining about their GS's. Maybe I am just biased towards Honda. Fact is that very few bikes can come close to an Africa Twin in terms of reliability and character.

Triton DC, Jimny and K1200GT scooter.

I have a 2004 Dakar and I myself put 70 000km on it without any issues what so ever.

I really like it and it ticks all my boxes. It is comfortable and economical and spares are available from places other than BMW.

Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

Quote Originally Posted by LeonP View Post
    No not a dakar. I was looking for one but this is not a dakar one I found.

I'm concerned about the poor brakes on the gs. it was really disappointing and this is a critical requirement for my commute.

But I'm looking for another one to compare, hoping this is just a faulty brake system.

Another point in favor of the switch is that I never exceed 160km/h anyway.

But I like the cbr. Difficult decision. :-(
    My GS 650 does not have poor brakes at all. In fact its very sharp.

Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

R45k is too high for a non Dakar 650GS. If I were you I would look for another one.

You can buy a 2004 Dakar now on Gumtree for R38 000

LINK

Touareg V10
    KTM 1290 Super Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post
    My GS 650 does not have poor brakes at all. In fact its very sharp.
    unless he's comparing them to the brakes on the rr?
    It's not leaking oil, it's sweating power!

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderGear View Post
    R45k is too high for a non Dakar 650GS. If I were you I would look for another one.

LINK
    +1

Also think you can get a better deal. Bought my 2003 GS with 33400 km for R33K last month.

WRT brakes - also depends on whether it has ABS or not. Mine has the optional ABS and stopping is not a problem...
    Dawie Nel

2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto / 2011 VW Tiguan 2.0 TDi 4Motion DSG
    2000 Ford Courier 4x4 D/C (390,000 km) Sold

I had a 2008 CBR600RR, lovely bikes, but go aweful as a commute. You'll much prefer the seating position on a DS bike. Have you considered that new Honda NC700 thing? Its not completely DS, but its close enough, and very well priced?

its the abs model. using max force on the front brake lever i was unable to LOCK the wheel or get the abs vibration. when braking on uneven surface at maximum brake force again, when the front lost traction, id did feel the abs vibration on the lever, so im thinking there is a problem with the brakes on the one i rode?

Quote Originally Posted by Photokid View Post
    their trade in offer seems too low.
    Cant you sell privately and get more?

I'm in the same predicament- whether to sell my Daytona 675 for a gs800, though everytime I go out for a 'ride', I rethink my decision of selling it for a gs.
    yes the trade is very low ill get lot more out of hand. i can get R45K/R40K if i stall for a bit

Leon, that ABS model has non integrated braking system. I am assuming that your CBR is non ABS, therefore you will be using both brakes. On the GS, you have to use the front brake first, this will activate the ABS. If I remember correctly they left the abs off the rear on this model to accommodate dirt road braking. If you use the rear first, abs does not come on.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderGear View Post

LINK
    :-) this look good. ill give him a ring, thanks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast