Sa family,s moz border bribery hell - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    SA family's Moz border bribery hell

Thursday 27th February 2014

A couple returning from Mozambique were told by border officials to leave their daughter behind until they got cash for a "fine". ||| Durban - A fun weekend getaway in Mozambique turned into a frightening ordeal for a Kloof couple after, they said, they were told by border officials to leave their teenage daughter behind while they went into South Africa to draw funds to pay a bribe of R9 000. The family had apparently been caught in a scam where Mozambican officials do not stamp passports when South Africans enter. When leaving, crooked officials can then demand a "fine". Kevin and Sally Stone and family had driven to Ponta Malongane for a short holiday in convoy with 15 friends last weekend, and thought everything was in order when they stopped at the border near Manguzi for the routine immigration checks. "I was driving so I attended to the vehicle papers while my husband and the kids went to get the passports stamped," Sally said. Kevin walked across to the Mozambique side with their four children aged 17, 13, and 12-year-old twins. "The officials who stamp passports on that side are in a dimly lit container-type office with a barred window which is raised so you can't see inside," said Kevin. He said they heard stamping and in good faith trusted that their passports were stamped. Any doubts that their passports were not in order were further allayed when the documents were checked by another Mozambican official when they were pulled over, about 100m from the border post. "He opened every passport and checked against each person in the car. He closed them again and gave them back to us saying there was no problem, we can go," said Kevin. After a weekend of snorkelling and swimming they made their way back to the same border post. "We got there just after they opened at 8am and checked in our passports," said Kevin. He then left his eldest daughter Jenna in the line while he went to help his wife pump air into their SUV's tyres. "All of a sudden Jenna runs back saying we are needed," said Sally. Not thinking it was anything serious, Kevin stayed back while his wife and daughter returned to the container. Kevin was alarmed when he was told by a South African police officer to go to his family's aid because there was a major problem. Walking back, he said the Mozambican immigration officer showed him the unstamped passports saying they had come into Mozambique illegally. Three days earlier only Sally's had been stamped. On a torn piece of paper, the official scribbled a "fine" and demanded the Stones pay R1 800 for each of the five unstamped passports. "The official grabbed Jenna into the dark, dingy container, saying they were seizing her while we go and withdraw the R9 000 from the Spar at Manguzi," said Kevin. Seething, Kevin went to seek assistance on the South African side of the border, a few metres away. But he said he was told to go back and negotiate the price down. "I could not believe what I was hearing. They said they could not get involved because it would cause a diplomatic problem," he said. "The only price I was going to negotiate was nil." The ruckus caught the attention of other border crossers. "Some of them came up to us and told us that this had happened to them before, especially in December," said Kevin. "It seems they were targeting large groups with big cars." The Stones believe this was a scam to extort money from tourists. Kevin said that had it been a genuine breach of immigration laws, he would have been arrested, or detained and due diligence done. "They didn't bother to check the SA stamps or the vehicle papers. If we wanted to get into Mozambique illegally, why would we check in our car and one passport? How can a quick cash transaction fix a breach of immigration laws? What kind of procedure is that?" he said. The family faced down the "belligerent" officials, and took their daughter. back. Eventually, acting on the advice of one of the South African officials, the Stones left their passports behind and drove home. "God knows what would have happened to Jenna if we had left her there," said Sally, still shaken. The family, who have been holidaying in Mozambique during school holidays for the past 10 years, say they will never return. "My (Toyota) Land Cruiser, bought especially for the roads there, is up for sale," said Kevin. "I will never set foot back in that country." Said Kevin: "Technically, the kids and I are in our own country illegally because we never got stamped out of Mozambique and into SA; we had to abandon our passports. We now have to cancel them and spend R400 each to get new ones." Since returning, the Stones have written to the SA Embassy in Maputo and the Mozambican Embassy in Durban, but have not received any response from the latter. Attempts by the Daily News to get comment from Mozambican authorities were also unsuccessful. The spokesman for South Africa's Department of International Relations and Co-operation, Clayson Monyela, directed the Daily News to the Department of Home Affairs whose spokesman, Ronnie Mamoepa, declined to comment, saying it was an issue for the Mozambican officials. Sally did receive a response from an official at the South African Embassy in Maputo. He said he would do his best to obtain the passports but suggested that her family cancel them. Kevin called the Hillcrest Saps about opening a case of theft against the Mozambican government. He said he would go to the station this weekend to do this
    Happened to me in Tanzania - Serengetti couple of years ago.
    cu in the BUSH
    Gissie

South Africa is not immune to these kind of problems. I know a colleague from the UK who entered at OR Tambo in a wheelchair after a sporting accident and couldn't see over the desk. Assumed his passport had been stamped but on exiting 3 weeks later was fined R5000 for a non-stamped passport. Appealed but to no avail. The moral of the story is check your passport before you leave the passport desk. Every time.
    “Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.” -
W. C. Fields

Eisshh, and I was planning a quiet week at Ponta, just SWAMBO and me plus a box of books!

Just as a little peep; I work for a British publisher and most of the money they make is from outside Pom. I think its a barefaced cheek I have to pay R1000-plus, as well as be interrogated by some pimply youth who cannot find Europe on a map, to go to a sales conference and find out what I must sell for the cur dog descendants of Rhodes
    Do they think I'm bringing my Granny for an abortion or heart surgery (by an SA doctor) on the NHS?

anyway, useful bribe tip: a crumpled up Zim$00 looks just like a Tiger (R50) when you give a nudge and a wink and stuff 3 of them into a SA cops top pocket!
    Sephulamthetho (Cory Voigt)
    'The cut worm forgives the plough'

BTW, the pic is me and SWAMBO, stage make-up. I have bullet hole w powder burns and slight trickle of blood from temple. She has throat gashed, not slit
    Both in evening dress (she was gorgeous!)

Spietkop tried to get a bribe on Grayston onramp, didn't say a word about hole in my head

Next time I'll play dead!

(I think they'll run away in MOz. In SA they'll search the car and take cellphone, sunglasses, jumper cables, etc)
    Sephulamthetho (Cory Voigt)
    'The cut worm forgives the plough'

Just say no and keep the camera rolling!

I have this unfounded believe that people paying bribes created a lucrative market and hence every tom dick and harry wants to join. specially the middle one - won't name him then my post gets deleted!

We were in Maputo a year or so ago and I crossed some invisible white line. We were pulled over and there was an on the spot fine. I asked the officer to issue me with a ticket that I would go pay and he insisted on immediate justice.

Took out my cellphone and started taking photos of him - door was locked and window opened just enough to hear him. He panicked, and I mean seriously panicked. What a sweet guy, he let us go with a verbal warning.

Just say no!

Moz was on my bucket list 'cos I remember, when growing up in Swaziland, our trips across to Moz & in later years in Durbs diving up the coast. Guess that's off the list then....

Talking

(Moz was on my bucket list 'cos I remember, when growing up in Swaziland, our trips across to Moz & in later years in Durbs diving up the coast. Guess that's off the list then.... )

It does not have to be it is still a great place , I am still going for a month in May but just be a bit more vigilant than usual. My oldman lived in Earls Court in London for 4 years and was mugged and robbed more in those 4 years than the 55 years here in SA so one can never say .

Andrew

We are planning to visit Moz in a months time, starting to get a bit worried with all the stories.
    If have travelled a lot and been to moz on a number of occations but starting to wonder if its a good idea to go there with a group of first time travelers.
    I agree completely that the correct attitude makes a huge difference and being able to speak a bit of Portuguese helps a lot but its one thing being patient and another to remain so when they start robbing you, as mentioned earlier in the thread.
    2010 Defender puma 110

I question why I would put Moz on my list of places to visit when there is even the slightest chance that an incidence such as described could occur. Why would I want to put myself through this or worse my wife. It's OK to say, I talked my way out of it, or just be sharp, that's not the point. The point is that just by going there you are increasing your chances of something going horribly wrong.

Not for me thanks, I will take my chances elsewhere.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

(StrangerI question why I would put Moz on my list of places to visit when there is even the slightest chance that an incidence such as described could occur. Why would I want to put myself through this or worse my wife. It's OK to say, I talked my way out of it, or just be sharp, that's not the point. The point is that just by going there you are increasing your chances of something going horribly wrong.)

Not for me thanks, I will take my chances elsewhere.

And where would this elswhere be ?

Well, so far I have been across borders to Namib, Bots, Swazi and a few overseas countries where I flew in. Only had one issue of a soft bribe in Bots, nothing of the kind that I am hearing about Moz. I have hired bikes in overseas countries and never had anything but courtesy from traffic officials. I have yet to have a single bad experience with an SA cop or traffic officer.

I believe you when you say Moz is a wonderful country filled with wonderful people. Life is about balancing your risks, why invite crap when it can be avoided.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Default Kosi Bay

Stay away Easy as pie Kosi bay is much better The locals are awesome.

"Moz is a wonderful country filled with wonderful people."

Whose new goal in life is to rip everybody off.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    "Moz is a wonderful country filled with wonderful people."

Whose new goal in life is to rip everybody with a ZA sticker off.
    Phixed

Im working in Africa for the lasty 11 years and travel through border posts, as well as getting pulled over by numerous "officials". The key here is no unnecessary friendlyness, just be courteous, show a firm no nonsense approach and where necessary be "HARDE GAT" but be careful not to over do it. Make sure you have the contact details of the South African Embassy in the specific country that you visit, and if you plan to stay longer inform the embassy. Dont show that you are an in-experienced traveller and refuse to pay any bribes. Use your common sense.
    " Ek stoot eerder my Land Cruiser voor ek weer n Land Rover ry"

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfus View Post
    Phixed
    No they love Europeans and Americans just as much if not more.

I saw a German tourist pay R200/kg for yesterday's prawns without a trace of a complaint.............

It's 13 Euros a kilo, he's in seventh heaven.
    Percivamus

And I pay R27/kg

Quote Originally Posted by louisjvdw View Post
    And I pay R27/kg
    Not in Moz you don't. Unless you're buying imported prawns from India.
    Percivamus

No they love Europeans and Americans just as much if not more.

I saw a German tourist pay R200/kg for yesterday's prawns without a trace of a complaint.............

It's 13 Euros a kilo, he's in seventh heaven.
    Not in Moz you don't. Unless you're buying imported prawns from India.
    And the scale they use is always "tampered" with...

I once weighed a 1kg packet of sugar in their "scale". It turned into a 1.75kg packet of sugar.... right before my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfus View Post
    And the scale they use is always "tampered" with...

I once weighed a 1kg packet of sugar in their "scale". It turned into a 1.75kg packet of sugar.... right before my eyes.
    Yes the scale : 1L of water is also 1KG but they struggle to understand that. I used my own digital scale once and the seller said I was trying to crook him.

So we went to the resort kitchen and he was happy that they showed him he was skelm.

and also they are getting sneaky: they FREEZE the prawns and then they weigh the packet with all that frozen water.

My standard process now is to simply buy from the nearest resort that has spare prawns.
    Percivamus

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast