Sa family,s moz border bribery hell - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Johnna View Post
    I lived and worked in Mozambique from 2003 to 2005. It is shocking to see how that country has gone downhill. I absolutely loved my time there, but will actively discourage anybody who is listening from going there. Unfortunately it's the same with so many African country's (SA included), as soon as a little money starts rolling in, the corruption becomes so bad that the money stops rolling in and the population dies of hunger again...
    Come on dude, if there is a bunch of citizens in SADEC that knows how to take care of themselves, it is the Mozambicans; war, famine, floods, they have lived it. The average citizen will whip any ass when it comes to survival and being content with what they have in life. Population dying of hunger because of a corruption...? Get real, they have seen much worse....

No doubt, but things could be allot better for the locals if tourism could take off the way it should. The place I worked employed at least 80% of the local population. I have seen it with my own eyes, various businesses "liberated" by corrupt government officials, boom, whole community back to scrounging a living. I have seen areas that just started to develop... And then fall apart... Why? Guess. So yes the people are resilient, but there is HUGE corruption and it's getting worse (just read the reports) not to even mention the security situation. To those who go there, enjoy, all I am saying is that it's no longer for me, nor will I ever recommend it... Which is a great pity as it is really a beautiful place.

Things like this happen all across africa. People are naive if the think its isolated to Moz. Then again maybe its better that people go to moz, have their bad experiences and then go to Margate for the rest of their dull lives.

Please leave africa for the people that want to go there, bad goes with good, sometimes bribes have to be paid most of the times a little resistance, patience and a smile avoids any bribes paid.

Like said before, it's your own responsibility to check your passport stamp. In fact you SHOULD be there in person to make sure your personal passport is stamped. Most borders across the world, and africa they insist that if the person is not present the passport wont be stamped.

And don't come with the bulltwang of someone needs to stay with the car as a security guard. Have any of you ever heard of taking turns?? If the border is so dodgy that you cant leave your vehicle alone then make a plan..
    Instead we would rather find any reason to blame someone, anyone else as in Tony weavers post.

WTF?? blame the officials because their passport was full Go off on a rant about ignorant officials harassing unwitting tourist?? If your passport is full you have traveled enough to NOT unwittingly travel with a full passport. AND then blaming the airline because you were stupid?? you deserve to sit without your luggage..

Botswana DOES NOT allow temp passports any more... I bet you one of these very fine days there will be a huge complaint about how their vacation was destroyed by someone that didn't take note.

Ok, rant off.
    Point being, the tourists falling into traps like these, if they don't learn from them then rather stay home and leave africa and adventure to the true adventurers.
    Never heard Voetspore or kingsley having issues like these, did we? LET OP IN DIE KLAS.
    Last edited by Partyranger; 2014/03/05 at 01:12 PM.
    Land Rover Defender 90
    Almost expedition ready...

This whole incident as well as this link has been forwarded to the relevant tourism authorities in Maputo. I believe that there are people investigating the whole process at the moment.

I won't go back. I'd rather reserve the right to argue with a government official in a language that we both understand, and also to be able to escalate to the relevant government department without the risk of being shot.

Hence I will not go to Moz again.

This corruption is going to sink their tourism industry, mark my words.

Quote Originally Posted by Partyranger View Post
    ............. LET OP IN DIE KLAS.
    There in is the problem.

I have built my experience with border crossing in Southern Africa, learned over a 50yr period, is that people are just to arrogant. Yes we know you have a higher IQ than him, but don't try and convince him of it.

Another useful tip I found, was to not be rushed. That is when you WILL get bitten. They are predators/opportunists. Just be very "street wise" and don't give him that edge over you.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Wow so much agro. I have been nam bots zim Zambia Malawi and Tanzania many times no problem . Driven to moz 3 times sailed 3 times every time I have had to pay and please think of the family this article is about and what trauma they went through . Just my 2cw

Went there twice and to me it is a dump. Moz wont see me again. Also had a problem going to Lesotho - luckily I did check my passport stamp and saw that I was already illegally in Lesotho as the expiry date was for the week before. Went to Nam and they also made the dates for a week earlier than what we put on the papers but non of us checked the dates. Upon returning they (This was on a Friday afternoon) didn't even wanted to fine us, they got the cops to arrest all of us and to be locked-up for the weekend (Women, children included) until we can appear in court on the Monday but luckily one of the senior officials came to our rescue and let us off with a warning. This is where I learned to check and double check your passports and dates.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigardt View Post
    My take on African travel:
    1. Stay within the law
    2. Double check paperwork
    3. Dont loose your temper
    4. Dont pay any bribes
    5. Enjoy it!

Peaceful resistance seems to work without fail. I guess the hardest part is not being intimidated. It can be difficult with assault rifles being pointed everywhere, but a smile and a polite refusal will eventually get you out of there.
    +1000000.

The thing to remember when someone sitting under a tree wants a bribe is: it is infinitely more work for that official, (paperwork, actually having to stand up) to actually follow up on a threat. It might take a while but worth it. Mr. Official doesn't want to bring you to jail anymore than you want to go. +R9000 is what you should be paying a judge not a border official. Not that I condone bribery, I have only payed 1 bribe in 12 years around Africa.

Every time an official gets a bribe the more likely he is to try and get a bribe from the next person. The easier you pay the bribe the more the next person will have to bribe.

The fact that they are up around R2000 for a passport stamp means that too many people are paying too easily.

And while I am on the subject. South Africans have a very strong opinion that the laws and regulations of neighbouring banana republics don't apply to them. And I would say that 1/2 of border issues arise from that and the lack of respect shown to officials.
    Last edited by Biggles; 2014/03/10 at 04:07 AM.
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

I just want to add. There is a distinction between two types of "bribe".

Facilitation fee: Official requires an incentive to give you something you are by right entitled to. This is under international law not illegal. International law recognize that in reality this is how the world works. eg. So an official is dragging his feet until he gets his dash of a few bucks.
    Bribe: Obtaining something you are not entitled through paying or otherwise benefiting an official. Eg. Getting illegal stuff over a border or not having the correct paperwork.
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by james mackay View Post
    you have to be a really desperate traveler to go to mozambique.
    +1000

2013 Toyota Hilux D/C
    2013 Mercedes CLA 220 CDI

Gaan groot of gaan huis toe!

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I won't go back. I'd rather reserve the right to argue with a government official in a language that we both understand, and also to be able to escalate to the relevant government department without the risk of being shot.

Hence I will not go to Moz again.

This corruption is going to sink their tourism industry, mark my words.

+ 1000 I won't even go there for work, bitten once twice shy.
    Toyota
    2019 Toyota 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Raider DC Auto

Absolutely shocking!! This is a country that can and has benefited from tourism. Its pathetic that corrupt officials will purposely do this to a tourist.

And "technically" speaking... You never left SA.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Here's a letter we got re hassles with South African immigration:

Our friends from Miami who had holidayed with us last year in Cape Town were denied entry to SA owing to one passport not having a spare blank page. This archaic and ridiculous regulation was not main the problem. It was the disgraceful and unconcerned attitude of the passport officials shown to my friends at the airport. To call them unhelpful and dismissive as well as unwilling to show any compassion to a couple who had travelled from Miami via São Paolo for some 16 hours would be to praise them. These ignorant state appointed officials seemingly have not had the training to deal humanely with unfortunate tourists who unwittingly have flouted a regulation, unique to this country, and who should have been stopped by the airline transporting them to South Africa - SAA in this instance - and their mentors ought to be reprimanded.
    As a strong pro-South African I am embarrassed at yet another demonstration of Third World behaviour in this country still struggling to emerge from the shackles of a desperate past.
    Adding insult to injury, they are at present in São Paolo without their luggage which failed to be loaded onto their returning flight.
    They will never return to South Africa and the damage this will cause to the holiday industry is incalculable.
    Kindness is seen by the blind, heard by the deaf and appreciated by all.
    Misuse of power in the hands of ignorant officials seems to be on the rise. Power is a privilege which should be cherished, not obtusely and heavy handedly used.
    Another nail !
    Tony I hope you are going to write something on this.
    Jeep, there is only one.

"denied entry to SA owing to one passport not having a spare blank page. This archaic and ridiculous regulation"

Hi Tony - you are obviously way more travelled than me, but after the huge publicity recently when Russel Brand was denied entry to SA because he had no spare pages in his passport, someone did some research about it. Apparently it is quite common around the world that you need 2 spare pages, and it is very well highlighted when applying for a SA visa. I haven't been around that much, my passport has never managed to get full before it expires anyway, so never had to confront it - might well do so with my current passport which is filling up rapidly after I bought a capable vehicle.

Worth a story from a good investigative journalist - anyone know such a person 8)

It is the kind of story that warrants investigation. For example, I am quite sure SA is not the only country that requires at least one blank page on a passport when you enter the country, at the very least I know the UK requires the same.
    2011 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2012 Mini-Metalian Trailer

Hmm sorry but sticking to the laws does not mean that you are exempt from harassment in MOZ

was there 2 years ago
    got pulled over first day in Maputo for crossing a street
    there was no no entry signs and I followed all the road signs exactly
    and the 5 cars before me was left to cross without being stopped.

next day I was pulled over for making a Uturn that I did not make
    I told them I did not make U-turn and their answer was (you weren't down there long enough to have not made a U-turn)
    by 4 guys standing with AK47's hanging from their shoulders
    I'm not likely to argue with someone with a AK
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Quote Originally Posted by James MacKay View Post
    You have to be a really desperate traveler to go to Mozambique.
    Ditto James .............

The solution is simple, do not travel to Moz anymore. Let them starve without the SA rand.
    Stay foolish, life's too short to grow up.
    BMW X5 3.0d Sports Pack
    Jeep Commander 3.0 CRD Sport
    Land Rover Discover 4 TDV6 HSE - SWAMBO's

We were in Ponta do ouro this weekend like 20 times before, We never had any problems up to now. On this weekend however the soldiers just past the border post stopped us for a search of the 2 vehicles . Everything was in order with my vehicle and paperwork,they just let me through. For the other vehicle in the group they demanded the papers where the license disk was cut out, which was BS because we had everything in place according to Moz government website. As a regular they recognized me and told me not to get involved in my friends problems. They demanded R300 from him and i told him via to 2 way radio not to give them money. Eventualy R100 did the trick and we had an awesome weekend with no more trouble. I spoke about our experience with a lot of the local bar owners and they told me that even they get harassed by their own people and they are fed up with it. They advised me to demand to go to the police station, they said that the soldiers will back off 95% of the time. It is sad thou. Security is visibly more prominent at most resorts, maybe due to recent political problems up in the north. We had no further encounters and crossing back to SA went without any problems.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast