Sa family,s moz border bribery hell - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfus View Post
    WOW!!!! And you know this how
    Here : "The officials who stamp passports on that side are in a dimly lit container-type office with a barred window which is raised so you can't see inside," said Kevin."

So how come I could see exactly what they were doing inside when I had my passport stamped there the other day !!??

Please name a first world country where you can just rock up with a bunch of passports in your hand and just have them stamped without presenting yourselves.

This guy took a chance..got nailed ... and is passing the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandjan View Post
    Yes for example the EN1 hey !!??

You never had any potholes, and now its full of potholes ? or what.

Sheez what a load of BS.

If the family above tried to pull off their arrogant behaviour in any other country they would have been locked up and deported.. with a hefty fine.

For example overstaying your welcome in South Africa costs you R 1000 per day !

I once overstayed by 2 days in Czech republic and at the airport they nailed me with more than R 2000 plus a nasty stamp in my passport that.

Imagine you taking a smaller ferry from say Santander to Plymouth and you somehow slipping through into the UK without a stamp... what will the government do when they find you are an illegal alien.

They should have nailed this arrogrant LYING idiot harder !!!!!
    Wow dude, chill!! How do YOU know the family were "Lying Arrogant Idiots"? I highly doubt that want to "Sneak into the country illegally" by moving in a group of 15 people through the border post in a packed 4x4 Drive 5km up the road and drive into Moz with no person in sight.
    How do I know they aren't "Lying Arrogant Idiots" well, I don't, but having had FIRST HAND experience at this border, and having heard of too many experiences to tell, I am quite confident that this is just the result of another corrupt border official, and I stand by my previous comment about the population starving as a result.

My take on African travel:
    1. Stay within the law
    2. Double check paperwork
    3. Dont loose your temper
    4. Dont pay any bribes
    5. Enjoy it!

Peaceful resistance seems to work without fail. I guess the hardest part is not being intimidated. It can be difficult with assault rifles being pointed everywhere, but a smile and a polite refusal will eventually get you out of there.
    Toyota Land Cruiser 79 4.2D
    Ex Ford Ranger 2500TD
    ZS5RJ, B270 (Orra)
    Member: LCCSA

Here : "The officials who stamp passports on that side are in a dimly lit container-type office with a barred window which is raised so you can't see inside," said Kevin."

So how come I could see exactly what they were doing inside when I had my passport stamped there the other day !!??

Please name a first world country where you can just rock up with a bunch of passports in your hand and just have them stamped without presenting yourselves.

And there is only one cubicle
    Maybe it was late or early...
    How do you know

How can you call them what you did if you were not there at the same time

What happened was very unfortunate for this family...

BUT, that being said, I am a Mozambican national who drives on the N4 regularly. I go to Nelspruit, Witbank and Johannesburg regularly.

EVERY SINGLE TIME I cross the border I check carefully that my passport, my wife's and my daughter's are correctly stamped and signed. At SA borders we have always met rude people who take too long to do the most basic things. At Komatipoort-Ressano Garcia it is always the MOZ side that is more efficient (and this is clearly a way of discouraging Mozambicans to visit).

On the road I am always stopped by rude, corrupt police people. Even though all my cars abide to all SADC regulations I still get to stay at the roadblock for 30 minutes being searched and harassed. I never had to pay a fine or bribe but harassment equals fine for me.

The ONLY place I found nice and educated policemen was in JHB of all places.

So even though I think this SA family must have done something to warrant this treatment I still condemn it. But it is no different of what I get in SA. At Ponta do Ouro we see SA Citizens insulting people in Afrikaans (unfortunately I understand a few words), bribing border police and regular police, violating rules, etc. You have to expect the System to react somehow. And the reaction usually doesn't hit the right people so ALWAYS be on the lookout and on the right side of the law. Check your documents carefully and abide to regulations (if you don't know them you can find them online). ALL OF THEM, Moz laws are SADC laws.

I am always on the lookout because I know there are a lot of MOZ illegals in SA and I WILL be treated as a criminal by police and SA Citizens. I accept this and try not to break any law or rule so I don't call attention to myself or my family.

Exactly!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rigardt View Post
    My take on African travel:
    1. Stay within the law
    2. Double check paperwork
    3. Dont loose your temper
    4. Dont pay any bribes
    5. Enjoy it!

Peaceful resistance seems to work without fail. I guess the hardest part is not being intimidated. It can be difficult with assault rifles being pointed everywhere, but a smile and a polite refusal will eventually get you out of there.

Ponta d Ouro is the "easiest" border post going from South Africa into Mozambique.

It is small, lightly staffed and primarily serves the coastal resorts around Ponta.

Generally the procedures are quick and pleasant, and I have been crossing there regularly for more than 15 years. From early to late and btw the border closes at 5 pm , so low light is not an issue.

Never had the smallest problem whatsoever.

So in this case we have : a convoy of many vehicles... it seems that once a group forms a convoy they think different rules should apply to them because they are more important.

At any border post the rule is :

Present yourself with your passport at immigration, and have it stamped. Its a face to face thing.

Its not good to speak to your mates or on your cellphone and generally ignore the immigration official that is trying to help you.

It is not cool to ignore him completely and drive off when he tells you that everybody should present themselves and have their passport stamped.

You cannot for example get off the plane at ORTIA and go to the immigration officials with a handful of passports and tell them stamp it... and continue to ignore the official when he talks to you.

Anyway, so hubby or swambo "busy themselves with the car papers"... actually there are only 2 papers.

1. a Simple temp import permit and 2. the 3rd party insurance.

Thats it. Simple and easy.

Why is it too much to ask from the convoy that they should behave like everybody else at the border.

Good manners cost nothing. Yes, it means greeting the officials, and facing them. ..without your sunglasses.

It means making sure your paperwork is in order.

Blaming the last cop that hangs around the edge of the parking lot for not really inspecting your passport in minute details is passing the buck.

Its YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to check your own passport.

It is quite clear that on this convoy the group were so casual about things that the simply could not be bothered.

Although one can clearly see the immigration official, his desk , his stamps ..etc when you stand at the little window .. the people in question did not even seem to notice the official and claimed that they could not see what he was doing.

Which is nonsense of course.

If the people in question were not treating the whole border procedure as a casual afterthought , then the "mistakes" would have picked up and rectified at the outset.

They would probably have heard the official tell them that everybody should present themselves in person. ... but no... they were so casual and in such a "holiday mood" that they did not even bother the check their passports.

The responses so far is just further proof of the completely disrespectful attitude that too many of us adopt in our neighbouring countries.

and btw, I am just back from a wonderful month long holiday in Moz... not one fine, not one bribe, not one issue whatsoever. Had a fantastic time.

and btw, I am just back from a wonderful month long holiday in Moz... not one fine, not one bribe, not one issue whatsoever. Had a fantastic time.
    Try venturing anywhere north of Maputo...

Regardless of what this family did or didn't do, to have your daughter taken into a back room somewhere and being asked to pay to get her back is completely unacceptable which will prevent me from visiting Moz in the near future.

Feel I have to add my 2 cents worth on corrupt officials and bribery.

As South Africans I think we must be the most hypocritical bunch of people on the planet. We will all sit around the braai and complain about how corrupt officials/the government/ metro is…. But if you ask pretty much anyone if they have paid a bride the answer is almost always yes. One often forgets that corruption is a two way street. If you weren’t speeding, overloading, carrying fruit and veg ect that you weren’t supposed to you wouldn’t really have a problem. But we like the freedom Africa gives us wrt not really following the rules then complain when we are caught breaking them.

It is the same story with borders…. None of us would land at Heathrow and try and break the rules but wont hesitate when crossing an African border.

Guess the long and the short of it is if you do things correctly you don’t have these problems. I think the majority of South African who complain about these sort of things need to take a look at themselves and realize that if you are breaking the rules and paying brides you are not part of the problem but are truly the root of the problem. When you get caught due to the short cuts you take at least act maturely rather than acting like a spoilt child who didn’t study for a test and failed

I dont think i will ever go to Moz and not only because of all the crap there but i definately dont want to run into Sandjan.

As I said in previous posts about Moz, visited ones and will never go back

Since when is Moz a First world country ?? We have been through the Kosi bay border posts plenty of times and EACH and EVERY time one member of our family did the queieing. Or am I now also a lying arrogant Idiot. As for being disrespectful, I respectfully disagree with your disrespectful response to other members posts, and would like to point out to you that this particular modus operandi at Kosi Bay border is not a respect thing, but to aid in the flow of proceedings and vehicles at rush hour times. I sincerely hope that a moderator will make you apologise for your harsh words towards others.
    Last edited by JP; 2014/03/03 at 03:16 PM.
    [B]Johan Prinsloo

Ai jai jai jai.....
    One can argue so many situations , and point out right from wrong. But what really BEATS me is how dishonest behaviour can be argued in favour of

If you leave a laptop in your car and it gets stolen , you get accused of being negligent , and the case against who stole gets dismissed as the norm...
    I mean REALLY

Here the family was negligent yes....but the way they did it is how it gets done as the norm when families get their stamps at the Moz border. Quite sure if they all "presented" themselves at the counter and they had a break in at the vehicle Sandjan would argue that one should've stayed at the car??

Point is the family acted with honest intent and the Moz officials acted with dishonest intent.

Honest intent= very good
    Dishonest intent= very bad

Here's a letter we got re hassles with South African immigration:

Our friends from Miami who had holidayed with us last year in Cape Town were denied entry to SA owing to one passport not having a spare blank page. This archaic and ridiculous regulation was not main the problem. It was the disgraceful and unconcerned attitude of the passport officials shown to my friends at the airport. To call them unhelpful and dismissive as well as unwilling to show any compassion to a couple who had travelled from Miami via São Paolo for some 16 hours would be to praise them. These ignorant state appointed officials seemingly have not had the training to deal humanely with unfortunate tourists who unwittingly have flouted a regulation, unique to this country, and who should have been stopped by the airline transporting them to South Africa - SAA in this instance - and their mentors ought to be reprimanded.
    As a strong pro-South African I am embarrassed at yet another demonstration of Third World behaviour in this country still struggling to emerge from the shackles of a desperate past.
    Adding insult to injury, they are at present in São Paolo without their luggage which failed to be loaded onto their returning flight.
    They will never return to South Africa and the damage this will cause to the holiday industry is incalculable.
    Kindness is seen by the blind, heard by the deaf and appreciated by all.
    Misuse of power in the hands of ignorant officials seems to be on the rise. Power is a privilege which should be cherished, not obtusely and heavy handedly used.
    Another nail !
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Eish...that is a blind one

Seems like we should do like majority of "visotors/legal immigrants/legal citizens" do...and just avoid the border posts. There are just TOO many hassles there!!!
    Rather go as the above mentioned groups and cross the borders where there are no fences or corrupt officials!! which is almost the rest of the border lines between the border posts...just pick your spot
    Seems like it is working for the majority

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfus View Post
    Try venturing anywhere north of Maputo...
    Andrew, we drove in at Kosi Bay. Spent a night at Malongane, then drove to Catembe. On the ferry to Maputo. Drove through the city. Then the EN1 to Inhambane.

Spent 3 weeks in Tofo.

Great holiday.

Friend of mine from Bots went there just after Christmas 2013 and was part of a 5 car convoy . Every time they went thru a road block the last car got stopped . He was stopped and has three children between 14 and 10 and the usual was asked of him . Permits ,Licence etc at the point of an AK looking straight at him . He was then fined for ... "driving in short pants " The second time the last vehicle was searched and Two Fire extinguishes were found . The question was asked "Why do youuu need two axtinguisesh " Answer ... one was expired so bought another one just before leaving on holiday " aaah Haaa so you hev en expired axtinquisha . sorry for you R 3000.00 fine . Moz not doing itself any favours guys .

Everything has been said but not everybody has said it!!!!

Us white folk live in Africa and by now all should realize that we have the short end of the stick. You have to try and be one ahead, I definitely don't like what I see here and in other African countries re the corruption etc etc. It's not going to change so I use there system to suite me.
    Generators are a passing fad

these sad stories about moz are a real concern to me as an overlander. although i have never been to moz by overlanding, i love the country and dream of one day travelling to moz. is their tourism department even aware of these crippling acts of crime and the obvious impact on tourism? is there a platform that can be used to blow the whistle at the right level?

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

2015 3.2TDCi Ford Ranger WildTrak 4x4 Auto
    2011 3.0TDCi Ford Ranger WildTrak 4x4 Manual
    2006 4.0L V6 Ford Ranger 4x4
    2005 2.5L Turbo Mazda S/C 4X2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast