Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Gqeberha
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,990
    Thanked: 9244

    Default Engen hoax email doing the rounds

    There has been a hoax email doing the rounds since 2006, it was posted here earlier this week as well. Engen sent the me response below and asked that I post it there, the other thread I have removed.

    Engenís response to malicious email regarding white-owned dealerships.

    Engen Petroleum Limited has warned its customers and the general public to dismiss an e-mail smear campaign that has resurfaced, which claims that it will no longer sell dealerships to whites. It is an allegation that first surfaced as far back as November 2006.

    "It is troubling in the extreme to hear suggestions that a company that prides itself on being ethical, fair and transparent would see fit to engage in unfair business practices. Not only would that be harmful to shareholder value, but it would run counter to our principled contribution to sustained economic growth and prosperity for all in the country." says Gavin Smith, Engen Group Spokesperson.

    Smith sought to give context to the erroneous impression being caused by the e-mail. "The subtler truth is the influence of the Petroleum Products Amendment Act (PPAA), which came into effect in March 2006," he clarifies. "In seeking to bring about much-needed transformation in the industry, it stipulates that dealership applicants must also apply to the Department of Energy for a retail licence."

    He adds that Engen enforces its own strict criteria in awarding dealership control, including the merit of the applicant's business plan, general skills, skills transfer, business competence, financial resources and a Broad-Based BEE element. "Where 100% BEE candidates are not forthcoming, partnerships are encouraged."

    Meanwhile, numerous applications are being received from all population groups. "No one is excluded and all population groups are sold dealerships. In our BEE strategy we stated that we want to achieve a retail network that mirrors the demographics of the country. We are currently sitting with 47.5% BEE representation in our retail network and we are working towards ncreasing this figure to 50% by 2016."

    Smith says Engen has received many queries since the e-mail emerged eight years ago, but has not experienced a fall-off in business, which is indicative of the support the company continues to enjoy thanks to its loyal, level-headed and proudly South African customer base; customers who voted Engen the "Coolest Petroleum Brand" in the Sunday Times Generation Next in 2011, 2012 and 2013, the "Petroleum category" winner in the Sunday Times Brand Survey also in 2011, 2012 and 2013, as well as SAís Leading Oil Company in the 2013 Top Company Reputation Index, run by the Mail & Guardian newspaper.

    "We value the support of all our customers and partners. We would like to reassure all our customers and business partners that there is absolutely no truth to the rumour," reiterates Smith.

    For further information please contact Gavin Smith, Communications Executive, Engen Petroleum Limited, on 021 403-4312.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    43
    Posts
    6,471
    Thanked: 1026

    Default

    I for one cant understand how people can be intellegent enough to send these mails to everyone in the world, but they cant use google to find out if its a hoax or not....

    I love it when I get these mails, with all the contacts attached. I just reply to all, with the link to snopes, or hoax slayer, and drag your name through the mud.

    I do this a lot to my mother....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    65
    Posts
    776
    Thanked: 201

    Default

    +1

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pretoria Montana
    Posts
    2,363
    Thanked: 615

    Default

    It sound like "Stock Bashing" to buy shares for cheaper

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,898
    Thanked: 1819

    Default

    not sure if I am reading this wrong ....

    they claim that they will sell to "whites".

    Yet then they post this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    He adds that Engen enforces its own strict criteria in awarding dealership control, including the merit of the applicant's business plan, general skills, skills transfer, business competence, financial resources and a Broad-Based BEE element. "Where 100% BEE candidates are not forthcoming, partnerships are encouraged.".
    So CAN a "white family" (for that matter any non BEE family) buy a station ? I now refer the age old tradition of a FAMILY business where the only partners are direct family ?

    so the question remains: "CAN a "white" family buy an Engen franchise?" - WITHOUT "partnerships" ....


    PS - I AM an Engen user, actually spent money at Engen 20 minutes ago. And I will continue to support Engen - based on the positive experiences in their courtyards. Still would be nice (albeit NAIVE) to have a STRAIGHT yes or no answer ....

    PPS - despite any possible answer from Engen on my post, I AM aware that MOST franchisors now employ some sort of quota system when selling franchises. And it is not a matter of "right or wrong" - it is dictated by our Laws ..... Thus I find it slightly humourous when Engen tap dances around the issue ...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    61
    Posts
    661
    Thanked: 55

    Default

    Actually know a person who has two Engen garages - one in the town and one in an industrial area - he was trying to sell the one in town so he could dedicate all his time to the one in the industrial area as it did huge volumes of diesel and he wanted to grow it even more ! He complained and told me that he was only allowed to sell his other one to a black person and every black he got interested could not get the finance etc - he had piles of white buyers in waiting but was not allowed to pursue this avenue !!! Took him more than a year to get a deal through so he could eventually move on and concentrate on his other garage !!

    Even though it does not hurt them - I do not put in fuel at an Engen because of their policies - makes me feel good !!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    brackenfell western cape
    Age
    58
    Posts
    615
    Thanked: 35

    Default

    As I posted before.. No Engen for me.....

    OOOPS

    Toyota Fortuner 4.0 V6 Epic 4X4 ( Yes it is WHITE)
    Stofpad Bashplate

    Shane Strauch

    2004 Clubcab 31" Duelers and Turbologix EGT; SOLD

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    krugersdorp
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,689
    Thanked: 753

    Default

    as i read reply, i realize first one was not a hoax.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Dinokeng Game Reserve
    Posts
    5,297
    Thanked: 5974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
    Actually know a person who has two Engen garages - one in the town and one in an industrial area - he was trying to sell the one in town so he could dedicate all his time to the one in the industrial area as it did huge volumes of diesel and he wanted to grow it even more ! He complained and told me that he was only allowed to sell his other one to a black person and every black he got interested could not get the finance etc - he had piles of white buyers in waiting but was not allowed to pursue this avenue !!! Took him more than a year to get a deal through so he could eventually move on and concentrate on his other garage !!

    Even though it does not hurt them - I do not put in fuel at an Engen because of their policies - makes me feel good !!!!

    Go read up on the policy of the station brand where you do put in fuel and please report back here, I bet that it's almost exactly the same. In fact go read up on them all, then based on your logic for not using Engen, you'll have to stop using all of them. Happy walking.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,898
    Thanked: 1819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Go read up on the policy of the station brand where you do put in fuel and please report back here, I bet that it's almost exactly the same. In fact go read up on them all, then based on your logic for not using Engen, you'll have to stop using all of them. Happy walking.
    true !

    For fuel, food, and any other franchise type business ....


    BUT, be HONEST about it !!



    We KNOW you are under strict rules/laws but then DONT try to sell us some "spin story" .....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    61
    Posts
    16,440
    Thanked: 2348

    Default Engen hoax email doing the rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by colttdi View Post
    As I posted before.. No Engen for me.....
    ...or McDonalds, or Coke, or ABSA Banking, or Woolies food, or driving on SANRAL roads, or using black state owned schools...
    I think the guys who own Karan beef are non-white.
    Vodacom is the ANC pension fund, MTN is Cosato pension fund (I'm told) so stop using those...

    You can't just exclude Engen, investigate ALL the places you support & apply the same criteria...
    Then immigrate...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    43
    Posts
    210
    Thanked: 298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    ...or McDonalds, or Coke, or ABSA Banking, or Woolies food, or driving on SANRAL roads, or using black state owned schools...
    I think the guys who own Karan beef are non-white.
    Vodacom is the ANC pension fund, MTN is Cosato pension fund (I'm told) so stop using those...

    You can't just exclude Engen, investigate ALL the places you support & apply the same criteria...
    Then immigrate...
    some times you can be a little obtuse if you want to be.
    SPOON!

Similar Threads

  1. Seels, iets werd?
    By witklipbank in forum The 4x4 Pub
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2013/05/30, 03:51 PM
  2. The WORST slap in the face by ENGEN Petroleum
    By Kagiso in forum General 4x4 Discussion
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 2011/03/17, 07:59 PM
  3. How do you combat a hijacked email address?
    By Tricky Dicky in forum The 4x4 Pub
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2009/07/14, 11:17 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2008/02/08, 09:32 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •