Which fridge would you go for? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I am an Engel supporter: my first one was a 32liter second hand one...still running strong in my son's vehicle after ± 10 years.

I have 2x 40liters: one I use as a fridge and the other as a freezer. No hassles for 7 years.

If you can get a 2nd hand one for around R5k, what are you waiting for?
    Francois Johnson

(swambo: Christel)

Our rides
    • 2010 Isuzu KB300LX DTeq 4x4 D/C
    • Metalian Maxi Trailer, Maxine

Local 4x4 hire companies use only engels, they say the other are not reliable enough. They can't afford that a fridge stop working 1000km away from town and then had to fix the problem.

Yes the engel is bit noisy. If you never travel outside SA you can use snomaster or for that matter any other make.

I suppose NL also has a good track record. I using both 90 NL and 80l engel , if engel had decent separating baskets I would not considered the NL.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Quote Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
    Eggie

Can I use them INDEPENDENTLY as per my spec
    Yes, you can. NL recommends to use the freezer section at temperatures below that of the fridge (but it also works the other way round).

The phrase "it does what it promises to do " is not sufficient
    We are far apart and I cannot prove to you what it does. Don't take my word for it, I suggest you get hold of a NL90 (from someone in your area), and see for yourself what it can do.

Believe me I am happy to pay the 1k but I dought any fridge/freezer can do the independent thing
    Not what this is about, I merely corrected your statement.

Why would I want to do that

Well maybe I have so much meat that the big portion must run below freezing and the small portion must be my fridge for lettuce
    The NL90 has more or less the same size for fridge as it has for freezer. It think it is designed to suit a wide range of users' requirements.

I will contact NL and get there e-mail confirming this or maybe you already have proof
    Best would be to test it yourself.

Ross
    The 2 pics below is from a simple test I did yesterday. First I set the fridge to -10C and freezer to +20. After that I allowed some recovery time and then I did the same with the freezer set to -10C and fridge to +20C.

During the 2nd test the outside temp had already gone up to 38C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NL90_1.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	268320   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NL90_2.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	268321  
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

I've had the NL 74l double door for some time now. Great fridge/freezer combo however in hindsight I probably should have bought 2 x 40l or something like Vlakvarkie. The big double door fridges are BIG and when packed are difficult to lift, If you don't have help you wont be able to load/move that packed fridge if you need to. Also they are too big if you just want to go for a weekend or something. Having 2 smaller ones will give you best of both worlds. You can use both or just take one if that's all you need for shorter trips. Plus easier to move/load on your own.

Eggie

From the manual that I downloaded

74Lt / 90Lt / 95Lt Refrigerators have dual thermostats allowing
    individual temperatures to be selected for each of the cooling bins.
    The “FREEZER” bin has a temperature range between +20°C and -24°C.
    The “FRIDGE” bin has a temperature range between +20°C and -12°C.

It is important that the freezer thermostat should be set at the same or colder temperature than the
    fridge thermostat. This will ensure temperatures are accurately maintained and the refrigerator
    operates efficiently

The setting of the L/H bin as a fridge, and the R/H bin as a freezer is not an option. The reason for this
    is that in order to achieve maximum efficiency (i.e. the lowest average battery power consumption), the
    gas-flows within the unit are intentionally biased to flow from the R/H bin to the L/H bin. Thus the freezing
    gas could flow from the R/H bin and freeze the contents of the L/H bin.

Ross

I also spoke to NL on this subject. The only reason that the prefer not to be swopped around is the energy usage. It uses double what it does on normal mode.
    As for temp. Ive got 2 wirelss temp probes in my 90. One for fridge and one for freezer and they are 99% the same as the setpoint no matter what i set which one too.
    The manual also further explains that ideal energy usage is if the fridge is set 6degrees warmer than the freezer.
    But what difference does 2degrees up or down really matter on a freezer.
    Gerhard
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
    Mercedes GLA 2.0 diesel (SWAMBO)
    And a Summit Everest trailer that SWAMBO loves.

I dont like the fridge freezer combinations as they are not able to be set independently at all regardless of manufacturers claims. The unit then just chews battery power if you dont use it as per manufacturers thinking which is everyone wants the freezer to freeze solid....
    Ross
    To this I said that you are seriously mistaken, and I think you should be able to recognize this by now.

Show me one that I can run the small compartment at 10 degrees celcius and one where I can run the big compartment at - 10 degrees celcius and I will donate R 1000.00 to a charity of Dirks choice
    Ross
    The NL's compartments are similarly sized. This is a later requirement from you and you can use it as your "escape clause" if you so wish. I really never cared what you intend doing with your money.

Eggie
    Can I use them INDEPENDENTLY as per my spec
    The phrase "it does what it promises to do " is not sufficient....
    Ross
    The answer is YES. See my examples of extreme (silly) settings simply to prove the point. As I also said, don't take my word for it, try it out for yourself.

From NL themselves). It is important that the freezer thermostat should be set at the same or colder temperature than the fridge thermostat. This will ensure temperatures are accurately maintained and the refrigerator operates efficiently

This is in line with your own specification - the answer is yes, they can be set independently. What part of this is still unclear? NL strongly discourages one to reverse the roles of the fridge and freezer sections, as they should.

The setting of the L/H bin as a fridge, and the R/H bin as a freezer is not an option. The reason for this is that in order to achieve maximum efficiency (i.e. the lowest average battery power consumption), the gas-flows within the unit are intentionally biased to flow from the R/H bin to the L/H bin. Thus the freezing gas could flow from the R/H bin and freeze the contents of the L/H bin.
    It is actually a (silly) option, but definately not recommended. So what?

This argument has gone far enough - believe whatever you wish. Better still, go and try it for yourself, and
    then report back.
    Eggie.

Eggie
    Read post 8 for the specs

But clearly we are not talking the same thing so I withdraw from this conversation

Ross

geen klagte van die campmaster 45 lt nie. Het 2 in die familie. ouer een wat stainless outer het en die nuuter een wat plastiek is met beter latches.

check pryse makro/game gereeld afgemerk vir R4999.00

Ross,

I notice you activated the escape plan.

And quietly ignore the bit about: "I dont like the fridge freezer combinations as they are not able to be set independently at all regardless of manufacturers claims."
    Eggie.

Ross, I'm totally with Eggie on this one, have a NL 90 and you are welcome to come and see it work. Just this past weekend friend had a power outage and eventually braught meat and stuff to our house, I cleared out the freezer side of the NL for him. Because most stuff was already quite defrosted I set it to -18 and left the fridge side on 3 where it runs most of the time when at home to keep the beer cold. As the evening whent the meet and stuff got cooler and cooler but the beer side stayed on 3. Next morning all meet was frozen again temp sitting on -17 and fridge side was on 1.
    Yes it's not at all efficient to run it like this and it will surely be a battery eater of note, but point is you can, it's totally possible. Second point is that it's possible to swop the 2 bins and use left as fridge and right as freezer, once again it won't be energy efficient at all, but once again totally possible. Third point is that you can run both sides on the same tempriture and use it as one big fridge or freezer, when at home I use mine in the bar as one big fridge both sides set around 2 or 3.

Let Dirk be the judge here and decide if and where you must put down your R1000.

I use two 50l NL weekenders, one as a freezer the other as a fridge/ice compartment.
    Open the freezer once a day to take out meat.
    100l of fridge/ freezer and redundancy should one fail.
    Went for the SS ones as the casing is very strong, added extra insulation between the cover and fridge/freezer. No complaints with my setup.
    T
    トヨタ ランドクルーザー
    If it doesn't say "TOYOTA" on the grill then it probably isn't one.
    If you don't own a Cruiser you won't understand....
    2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4X4 AT
    ORRA call sign X224
    4x4 Action Group GP328-KZ

Quote Originally Posted by Tony datoy View Post
    I use two 50l NL weekenders, one as a freezer the other as a fridge/ice compartment.
    Open the freezer once a day to take out meat.
    100l of fridge/ freezer and redundancy should one fail.
    Went for the SS ones as the casing is very strong, added extra insulation between the cover and fridge/freezer. No complaints with my setup.
    T

At first we also considered 2 smaller NL fridges because of easyer handling but, 2 fridges take up more space in the vehicle, 2 compressors means double the battery drain and 2 would have been more expensive than the one.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    At first we also considered 2 smaller NL fridges because of easyer handling but, 2 fridges take up more space in the vehicle, 2 compressors means double the battery drain and 2 would have been more expensive than the one.
    Agreeably so, I have one unit, the freezer in the Xcape with a 200AH battery, solar, etc. and the other in the FJ on a 100AH battery. We drive around with the FJ so the battery remains charged, ditto with the caravan/solar, DC to DC.

I bought the first unit and the other one came with the caravan otherwise I would also have gone the single bigger unit. It's always nice to have the fridge in the FJ so always cold beer available...
    T
    トヨタ ランドクルーザー
    If it doesn't say "TOYOTA" on the grill then it probably isn't one.
    If you don't own a Cruiser you won't understand....
    2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4X4 AT
    ORRA call sign X224
    4x4 Action Group GP328-KZ

I dont like the fridge freezer combinations as they are not able to be set independently at all regardless of manufacturers claims. The unit then just chews battery power if you dont use it as per manufacturers thinking which is everyone wants the freezer to freeze solid
    The 45 lt campmaster and 40 litre snowmaster have that little shelf - probably only 5 litres or so - but that is so usefull for cooling beers fast or separating cheeses and sauces from the big fridge basket.
    Then run a separate 20 l freezer unit which I can use as a fridge if I want to or not at all if I dont need the space
    Snowmasters backup service is excellent so I would lean that way

Ross
    as Eggie said - - - -

We have the NL Weekender, fridge/freezer unit

BEST buy ever !!

I have medicine in the fridge that MUST remain in a narrow temperature band (UN-frozen). The NL does this perfectly, while keeping the meat frozen.

PS - at 8500 the NL Weekender is even cheaper than some of the units on the OP's list ..

December in the CKGR we used the 90NL freezer side on -10 full of meat and the fridge on 6 deg fand it stayed liked that +-3 deg. The only reason using -10 was to make ice. (Frozen stuff will stay frozen on -5.)

The overcast days when the solars was of no use the 90Ah raylite battery still managed with the NL and a 25l waeco (drinks only) on 6deg, with on a 3 - 4 hour trip. We stock the weaco in the morning just before driving.

The NL did what we expected to do. I cant see why one would not like it.

Ok if you don't like the 90NL twin you can use single bin set on -5, frozen stuff below and the rest above. The frozen stuff stay frozen easily 2 weeks.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2