Echo 3 & 4 setup and mods thread - Page 14

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Post Re: Echo 3 & 4 setup and mods thread

PACKING AWAY THE TENT! help needed.......

Greetings All

Despite having had the pleasure of owning our Echo 4 for 9 years, the sequence / skills / patience required to pack away the tent (neatly and properly) evades me.

I was reminded of these frustrations yesterday when packing away the tent - having utilised a beautifully warm and dry Easter Sunday morning here in PMB - to air the tent.

The packing away process seems to end up in a mishmash of throwing alien bits of tent "up top", repacking, sweating and a teeny tiny bit of frustration. It is also certainly a job for 2!!

NOTE:

1. I am not sure what model/type of Echo tent it is.
    2. We have a complete awning - all round the tent (living portion of the tent).
    3. It has a "full" tent which opens up to the floor next to the trailer.
    (Please excuse the lack of technical speak - there is a lot of "stuff" to pack away).

SPECIAL NOTE:We are very happy with the tent. It works well, is waterproof, robust and clearly well made. The quality of the product cannot be faulted.

I just need to learn a new skill or some patience....

With kind regards and best wishes

gus
    Last edited by Gus3; 2020/04/13 at 09:27 AM.

Default Re: Echo 3 & 4 setup and mods thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gus3 View Post

Greetings All

Despite having had the pleasure of owning our Echo 4 for 9 years, the sequence / skills / patience required to pack away the tent (neatly and properly) evades me.

I was reminded of these frustrations yesterday when packing away the tent - having utilised a beautifully warm and dry Easter Sunday morning here in PMB - to air the tent.

The packing away process seems to end up in a mishmash of throwing alien bits of tent "up top", repacking, sweating and a teeny tiny bit of frustration. It is also certainly a job for 2!!

NOTE:

(Please excuse the lack of technical speak - there is a lot of "stuff" to pack away).

SPECIAL NOTE:We are very happy with the tent. It works well, is waterproof, robust and clearly well made. The quality of the product cannot be faulted.

gus
    maybe have a look at this video: https://youtu.be/l_sUBtYObb8
    When nature calls
    Jacques Steyn

2009 Toyota Prado 150 VX (202kw)
    OL Front bumper | Snorkel | OME Suspension

Swambo : 2012 VW Polo 1.4 Comfort line

Ex 2008 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T (199kw) | TD Suspension | Outback Extreme Rear Bumper | Ironman Front Bumper | Air Helpers | Snorkel | FR Roofrack
    Ex 1996 Ssangyong Musso 602EL TD A/T Exec (82kw) |Snorkel | Bilstein B6 | Disco 2 springs | FR Roofrack | ARB Front bumper | Rear Bumper
    Ex 1982 Citroen CX Prestige automatic
    Ex 1976 Citroen GS Club
    Ex 2013 Honda CRV Exec Auto AWD
    Ex 2007 Toyota Auris 2.0 D4D
    Ex 2010 Honda Accord 2.4i Exec Manual (148kw)
    Ex 1997 Isuzu KB280LE TD D/C 2x4
    Ex 1997 Toyota Corolla RSI (121kw)
    Ex 1989 Toyota Corolla GLI TwinCam Exec (98kw)

Thank you very much

very useful indeed

PACKING AWAY THE TENT! :

If you have the original MK1 tent (like mine - 2007 model) you will have to use some elbow grease...

It is heavy - but robust
    We camp at least 3 times a year and the after all these years tent is still in tip top shape - also survived a few serious hurricane like storms
    I only have the L-shape awning fitted on the kitchen side and the back
    I saw many tents (and caravans) being ripped apart by baboons - especially at Mazhou and Punda
    That Big Baboon at Punda could not do any harm to our tent

Some tips
    - Permanently fix all the Guy ropes to the tent eye rings (Fit pole pins through the small spliced rope ends, not the eyelets)
    - Remove only the poles when packing up and extend the fitted ropes fully - they are very usefull to throw over and pull the tent over the top etc.
    - The tent floor has steel rings at the four corners - tie the ends of a storm-strap to the front 2 and another strap to the back 2- usefull to pul over the last bit of the tent onto to trailer.

Packing up sequence:
    1- remove all external poles, but not the inside 2, fully extend all the guy ropes
    2 - take your longest pole and guide the back awnig on to the top of the tent - pull it neatly across the whole tent with the guy ropes
    (you now have a "double roof" on the tent only, leave the portion over the kitchen, which is now folded in two, hanging down)
    3 - remove the inside poles and fold the whole tent frame by frame, tucking in as much you can along the way
    4- when folded, the room and floor will be hanging down on the right side - now take the storm starps, throw them over the trailer and go pull up the room and floor over from the kitchen side
    5 - Pull over the Kitchen awning last
    6 - fit the cover (with poles in)

Practice this a few times - I have perfected it over the years - plus saw some amazed faces how quickly I get it done
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2020/04/15 at 07:43 AM. Reason: typo's
    Rudolf Ras
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 851 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 111 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 124 000 km

Thank you dungbeetle

The time you have taken and the detail of your reply is sincerely appreciated.

I will certainly give this a try over the weekend - sensible suggestions👍👍👍

kind regards

gus

1. What do you guys do with water in the water tank after packing up? I just open the tap so it empties while a drive. When at home I drop the front wheel to lowest setting so any left over water gets out then close it to store it dry.
    2. When driving on gravel roads do you close the vents in the nosecone?
    2014 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT 4x4 D/C Auto
    2018 Ford Everest 2.2 XLS 2x4 auto (SWAMBO)
    Echo 4 trailer

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    1. What do you guys do with water in the water tank after packing up? I just open the tap so it empties while a drive. When at home I drop the front wheel to lowest setting so any left over water gets out then close it to store it dry.
    2. When driving on gravel roads do you close the vents in the nosecone?

Yes to both 1 & 2.

I also close the bottom air vent on hot tar to prevent hot air entering the box and interfere with the fridge.

However, I got concerned about the fridge over heating in a closed box, especially on very hot summer days in the Kalahari. So I fitted a second air vent ( Teardrop Muller air vent ) on top of the box. The theory is that hot air rises and hopefully it will vent there, keeping the box cooler. Especially when the bottom one is closed as well. With some luck it will also help with circulation of cool air when both are open. All this should help the fridge to keep the beers cold.

I tested it on our last Kgalagadi trip and it seems to be working well with very little dust entering the box.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheoP For This Useful Post:

We had a custom awning made because the various bits and pieces was too much of a pain. We then had a custom cover made from one of the awnings. The corners in the rear were made like the tops of army boots - a cover on the inside and eyelets with rope through that you tightened like laces.

Before that we had way too many fights and bad vibes on the way home or to the next camp site.

The covers on too many RTTs and TTTs are somewhat like babies - once out they're impossible to get back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus3 View Post

Greetings All

NOTE:

gus

Quote Originally Posted by Antonf View Post
    The covers on too many RTTs and TTTs are somewhat like babies - once out they're impossible to get back in.
    Do you have the regular size cover?
    I bought the cover with the extended height and never had an issue closing up after a camp. (2006 - 4 model, also with the Mk1 tent)

We even stow the extra mattresses (used in separate tents) on the tent's bed before closing it. (I think it is 50 mm mattresses)

No idea - bought it second-hand.
    Sold the trailer and the Disco and bought a motorhome. Best decision ever.

Quote Originally Posted by PieterOos View Post
    Do you have the regular size cover?
    I bought the cover with the extended height and never had an issue closing up after a camp. (2006 - 4 model, also with the Mk1 tent)

We even stow the extra mattresses (used in separate tents) on the tent's bed before closing it. (I think it is 50 mm mattresses)

Anyone know the weight of the MK4 tent?

Recently came across this thread. Good ideas. Thanks for sharing guys.

Thought I'd share a few photos of mods done to our Echo 3 a few years back.

Initial problem was fitting the 90L NL fridge. Couldn't find anything on the market so decided to DIY. Added a large full length drawer at the bottom for food & items that always stay in the trailer and then add slider on top for the fridge. Added bonus was that, as the bottom drawer had to be slightly raised to clear the lip of the door, there is now space for 100aH batteries in the well. Batteries can still be accessed by sliding both drawers out.

Challenge was securely mounting the slide system into the trailer (NL90 isn't light when fully packed). Ended up having to drill through the floor and bolt onto angle iron I added as "cross members" between the three main "ladders" of the trailer chassis.

Also did a few smaller other things like added small nosecone/box to the front, added small inverter, moved solar connection to front (can leave panel permanently connected when camping & less of a trip hazard) etc. but the drawer system has made the biggest difference to us.

We've been using this for about 4 years. So far it's worked very well.

Next challenge is finding sleeping space for our growing family. Kid-o-bunk beds have worked well for kids until now, but now need to find space for the 3rd kid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-09-01 05.00.35.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	384.2 KB 
ID:	585606Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-09-01 05.00.45.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	381.7 KB 
ID:	585607Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-09-02 06.23.29.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	295.1 KB 
ID:	585608Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-09-02 06.23.43.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	279.5 KB 
ID:	585609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-09-02 06.25.06.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	263.4 KB 
ID:	585610Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-10-23 12.46.01.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	414.2 KB 
ID:	585611

Can anybody help identify the "mark" of this tent
    Wolverine : 93' Range Rover Classic 3.9L EFI

Looks like a MK3 (could be wrong).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Spikkels007 For This Useful Post:

Mk3

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TheoP For This Useful Post:

On an echo 3 does the tare of the trailer include the rooftop tent and watertank/batteries
    Wolverine : 93' Range Rover Classic 3.9L EFI

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Quote Originally Posted by whosthejman View Post
    On an echo 3 does the tare of the trailer include the rooftop tent and watertank/batteries
    Nope. Not even the spare wheel.

Especially the elder models come with a lot of weight in steel. Plus, the MK 1 tent is also heavy.

An Echo 3 with MK 1 tent, sparewheel, mattress, poles, ladder, table chairs, and water tank might easily weigh over 600 kg.

With the weight of only 750 kg allowed at the unbraked Echo 3 it's best to go and get it weighed it before you pack.
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2020/09/02 at 07:27 AM.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14