Fridge/freezers - storage?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KevinM Guest

Default Fridge/freezers - storage?

I've recently bought a fridge/freezer for my vehicle. I've heard said that when it is not in the vehicle one should keep it working via 220v mains. Is this necessary or can I just store it until I need it again in the vehicle?

Eskom won't like that . I just store mine until needed. Not sure if that helps but I too will follow this thread with interest.

If one thinks logically, you don't see all the Engels plugged in at Megabucks that are for sale? Just thought about that now.

Lets hear from the refrigeration boffins
    2010 3l D4D Hilux Raider DC, Burnco front bumper, Cooper STT's, Ironman Shocks and Coils, Stofpad Rocksliders and LCSP's
    <O></O>
    ORRA D04

ZS1ASH

Greetings Kevin and welcome to this forum!

I just store mine with the door slightly open so the interior doesn't smell musty.

I was given advice by more than 1 person to keep mine running on 220v when not in my clubbie.

Now I have extra space for beer.
    Chris Meistre

Quote Originally Posted by cmcs View Post
    I was given advice by more than 1 person to keep mine running on 220v when not in my clubbie.

Now I have extra space for beer.
    I just use my Engel as a wine cooler....
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

I keep mine in the Defender. Very useful for shopping as it allows me to buy refridgerated or frozen food at any point in my journey, rather than only on the way home (or make a special trip)

That keeps it and the battery excercised reasonably frequently.
    Regards,<br><br>Brian<br><br>

Defender 110 V8 CSW
    Range Rover Classic 3.9

I hope someone that know more can help us out here, but as far as I know the Engel works with a swing motor that is different than, f ex, the National Luna.

Apparantly you must run the Luna all the time but not the Engels.
    Willem Grobler
    LC 105 GX

Fridges are better left running than in storage. My old faithful had a slow punture a few years back, if stored switched off a recharge was needed within 4 months, all to do with pressure build up in the pipes. Same reason that if you switch off the power, leave it disconnected for at least 5min for the pressure to release, before switching on again, this also plays havoc with the motor.
    Anyway old faithfull is left to run at 7°C just ticking over, then switched down to -6 on weekends away, Gas has not needed a refill in 24 months.

I was told many years ago that one should run your cars air-con every now and again in the winter, the same should apply to a fridge I guess. But, as I say, years ago, I don't know how much technology has been implemented since then. I'd certainly feel more comfortable running mine every so often.

Simon, I like the wine cooler idea....I'm so gatvol of spoilt bottles.

We've only used ours in a non-camping application for family get-togethers etc.
    Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX Iron Man susp.<br>Ford Fiesta 1.6 Ambient "Noddy"<br>Scott CR1 Carbon road bike<br>Intense 5.5FRO mountain bike; HANDCRAFTED IN CALIFORNIA -Fox susp. - 5.5" travel rear - 5" travel front<br>Soon to become a Natalian.<br> KTM640 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Brehany View Post
    I was told many years ago that one should run your cars air-con every now and again in the winter, the same should apply to a fridge I guess. But, as I say, years ago, I don't know how much technology has been implemented since then. I'd certainly feel more comfortable running mine every so often.
    The seals on a rotary compressor certainly dry out after prolonged inactivity. They need excercising reasonably frequently to keep them lubricated and the tiny amount of lubricant inside the compressor distributed evenly around the vanes.

It certainly is a good idea to switch aircon or fridge on at least once every couple of months. More frequently is better than less frequently.

I'm sure the reciprocating compressor used by Engel need similar.

Defender 110 V8 CSW
    Range Rover Classic 3.9

KevinM Guest

Hmmmm . Ok showing a bit of ignorance here as there is now talk of different motors. My fridge has a Danfoss compressor. Where does that fit in, in the big scheme of things?

The manual accompanying the fridge does not make any mention of keeping it running, but it is interesting to note that many people do so.

At the moment the fridge is not installed in the vehicle as I'm searching all previous posts on fitting d.i.y. dual charging systems. The National Lunar available from Outdoor Warehouse is out of my price range.

(Hi Eben and thanks for the welcome )

Nat. Lunas are hellishingly expensive. My 80l Kellerman was only R5.8k...but too freakin big to keep in the car permanently.

Ja, its exactly that, the seals, that I was told need to be rotated every so often.

Do most have rotating compressors and Engels reciprocating compressors? What is the big fuss over Danfoss units, why are they supposedly superior?
    Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX Iron Man susp.<br>Ford Fiesta 1.6 Ambient "Noddy"<br>Scott CR1 Carbon road bike<br>Intense 5.5FRO mountain bike; HANDCRAFTED IN CALIFORNIA -Fox susp. - 5.5" travel rear - 5" travel front<br>Soon to become a Natalian.<br> KTM640 Adventure R

I have a waeco fridge which is about 5 years old the I leave it off when not used. The longest period it was switched off for was one and a half years (we had a baby), I plugged it in again last december to go to Nam and it worked just fine. I however think it's probably a good idea to switch it on from time to time even if it's just to see if it still works. By the way it has a Danfoss compressor whatever thats worth.
    Last edited by navman; 2008/03/12 at 08:35 AM.

The Danfoss compressor is a rotary type, similar in design to your mains fridge at home, or your car's aircon compressor for that matter

I think Engel is the only 12V compressor type that uses the Sawafuji reciprocating type. All the other brands use Danfoss.

They are all designed to withstand off road vibrations and fairly extreme operating angles.

Defender 110 V8 CSW
    Range Rover Classic 3.9

[quote= At the moment the fridge is not installed in the vehicle as I'm searching all previous posts on fitting d.i.y. dual charging systems. The National Lunar available from Outdoor Warehouse is out of my price range.quote]

Perhaps a bit off topic, but, it is very easy to install a DIY dual battery system. I bought the National Lunar Intelligent solenoid from Outdoor Warehouse (apparently you also sell it in a kit which include the cables, lugs etc) for R550, had 3 x 16 mm battery cables made up at a local auto-electrician (2 positive (blue) and 1 negative (black)), built my own battery stand and mounted a plastic battery box on top of that, made a bracket from alu and then connected the lot - there is a comprehensive drawing & instructions included with the solenoid.

I also fitted a single battery monitor (National Lunar one) to the 2nd battery seeing I have an onboard volt meter in the Colt for the crank battery.
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer aka Bos Parra

Just my 2c.
    Not all fridges make use of the danfoss, although it might look like it.The chinese compressors looks almost identical to the Danfoss, but it is not the same qaulity.
    I don't know much about the Engel compressor, but it is reliable.

If you keep your fridge running, the compressor stays lubricated, and the pressure is not that high as when switched off.
    In fact, when running the fridge at -20 the pressure might even go into a negative.

I keep mine running almost all the time, because there's almost always something to keep cold in the fridge!

We have found two compressors that packed up after standing for 1 year plus, but this is not to say that it is because of the standing period.They were rather old as well.

The most common problem on these type of fridges is the power supply, leaks and also the controlers.Sometimes compressors, but not very often.

Greetings,
    Okkie

O K , hier is my oppinie. As jou yskas loop, word gas saam met die olie wat in jou kompressor is gesirkuleer deur die stelsel, sodoende sal die pype in die wande nie sommer deur roes nie. Die druking in die "suction" gedeelte sal laag wees hoe kouer jou kas gestel is, soos Ockie gesse het , maar jou "discharge" kant gaan die druk baie hoeer wees. As jy die kas sou af los, sal die drukking balanseer en jou druk sal konstant wees deur die sisteem.

Ek het 'n "Zero" kassie met 'n Danfoss kompressor in, het hom gekoop in 1999. As ek nie op 'n trippie is nie dan staan hy oop bek en af, en in die 9 jaar het hy nog nie 'n stroke gemis nie.
    No one ever ruined their eyesight by looking at the BRIGHT side!!
    Ford Ranger 4l 4x4
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan King Cab (aka Navara )
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
    Albert Einstein

Whoooopa 3 The Goat strike back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqw5...ature=youtu.be

Another teazer.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51KljMSXOnI

I am just wondering here, but isnt your fridge switching off and on all day... ( it gets to the desired temp then turns off... after that it waits untill the temparature rises to a ceratin tolerance then goes on again... isnt that the same as switching the fride off and on at the mains?

Quote Originally Posted by Wagoneer69 View Post
    I am just wondering here, but isnt your fridge switching off and on all day... ( it gets to the desired temp then turns off... after that it waits untill the temparature rises to a ceratin tolerance then goes on again... isnt that the same as switching the fride off and on at the mains?
    It is indeed but the question is whether a fridge should be stored for long periods by running it or leaving it off...
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Which refers back to my original response how long do they stand in the Warehouse before been sold.
    2010 3l D4D Hilux Raider DC, Burnco front bumper, Cooper STT's, Ironman Shocks and Coils, Stofpad Rocksliders and LCSP's
    <O></O>
    ORRA D04

ZS1ASH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast