Goodall says China pillages Africa like old colonialists





Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Walker Bay
    Age
    75
    Posts
    8,973
    Thanked: 957

    Default Goodall says China pillages Africa like old colonialists

    China is exploiting Africa's resources just like European colonisers did, with disastrous effects for the environment, said acclaimed primatologist Jane Goodall.

    On the eve of her 80th birthday, the fiery British wildlife crusader is whizzing across the world giving a series of lectures on the threats to our planet.

    And the rising world power's involvement on the continent especially raises alarms when it comes to her beloved chimpanzees and wildlife habitats.

    During the last decade China has been investing heavily in African natural resources, developing mines, oil wells and running related construction companies.

    Activists accuse Chinese firms of paying little attention to the environmental impact of their race for resources.

    Poaching

    "In Africa, China is merely doing what the colonialist did. They want raw materials for their economic growth, just as the colonialists were going into Africa and taking the natural resources, leaving people poorer," she said in an interview in Johannesburg.

    The stakes for the environment may even be larger this time round, she warned.

    "China is bigger, and the technology has improved... It is a disaster."

    Other than massive investment in Africa's mines, China is also a big market for elephant tusks and rhino horn, which has driven poaching of these animals to alarming heights.

    But Goodall, who rose to fame through her ground-breaking research on chimpanzees in Tanzania, is optimistic.

    "I do believe China is changing," she said, citing as one example Beijing's recent destruction of illegal ivory stockpiles.

    "I think 10 years ago, even with international pressure, we would never have had an ivory crush. But they have," she added.

    "I think 10 years ago the government would never have banned shark fin soup on official occasions. But they have."

    Hope

    Her organisation Roots and Shoots, founded over two decades ago to instil conservation values in children, has also become involved in China.

    "We work with hundreds of Chinese children, and they are not different from children we work with here. They all love nature, they love animals, they want to help, there's no difference because they're Chinese," she said.

    Young people's enthusiasm to change the world is a major reason to hope, for this lady with seemingly inexhaustible energy who can still keep an auditorium hanging on her words for more than an hour.

    "These young people will become the next parents, the next teachers, the next lawyers, the next business people and the next politicians, some of them."

    "The biggest problem is that people understand but don't know what to do," she said.

    "If you have one thousand, one million or eventually several million people all making the right choice, all thinking about the consequence of their behaviour, then we're going to see big change."

    Another glimmer of hope is "this amazing resilience of nature", she continued, citing as an example the China's Loess Plateau on the Yellow River bouncing back after massive soil erosion.

    Farming methods

    "It was set to be the biggest totally destroyed ecosystem in the world," she said.

    A $400m project funded by the Chinese government and international donors introduced better farming methods in the area, which greatly reduced erosion and lifted 2.5 million people out of poverty, according to the World Bank.

    "That took a lot of money, but if you look at it now, it's all green, lush and farmland, and children have come back from the cities. It's even got a whole area for wildlife," said Goodall.

    "We still have a small window of time to change things." - AFP

    “Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    59
    Posts
    712
    Thanked: 6

    Default

    Although I basically agree with the gizz of what she says, China can only get away with it because we let them.

    They look around for poachers and there are hundreds if not thousands quite willing to fill the demand, they apply for harvesting licences and it's given.

    The time has come for us to stop passing the blame and try to change things in China and see why we make it so ridiculously easy for them to rape our resources and drive our wildlife to extinction.

    Customization and custom canvas work for any trailer, no matter the model or make.


    Catch us on FaceBook!

    Ultimate Overland - 4x4 Trailer Sales, Rental and Customization

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gordon's Bay
    Age
    49
    Posts
    28,874
    Thanked: 4378

    Default

    I saw this one this morning as well, and it's nothing that hasn't been said before - I can think of several Tony Weaver columns saying exactly the same thing!!!

    Like Jenny, I do agree with what is said, but while the Chinese are the direct purchasers, Global demand for their products is what feeds that fire - anyone buying off the Chinese is as guilty as they are.

    The worst part of all though , is how 'cheap' the resources are prostituted off to the Chinese.

    simple law requiring value adding of resources be done in the African country being raped would at least mean jobs and skills would be given to the people of the country.

    Instead the 'bosses' get big luxury cars while most of the populace starves.

    In terms of resources SA is actually wealthier than Arab states - yet they are given away cheaply.

    There is no reason to not insist that these resources at least be harvested in an environmentally friendly fashion.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,770
    Thanked: 222

    Default

    Apoc that sounds good in theory, our problem is that we are unable to compete with the value add.

    Take Iron. The Chinese / Japanese buy the Sishen ore, pay for its transport to Saldanha and then halfway around the world by ship. Unload it, process it, produce the steel and transport it all the way back to South Africa and supply us for A LOT LESS THAN we can produce it (even though our plant in Vereniging receives the same ore almost for free and at subsidised transport rates).

    C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    58
    Posts
    485
    Thanked: 79

    Default

    all I can say is that the Chinese in Africa had better watch it. If history in Africa over the centuries has shown anything it is that Africa has turned on its foreign plunderers with a unanticipated and unpredictable speed and ruthlessness that has no parallel. If the Chinese think that Africa is there for the taking without showing any loyalty and giving anything back and the plunderers carry on like they are doing they are literally going to loose everything - fact.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wuxi, China
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,321
    Thanked: 2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
    all I can say is that the Chinese in Africa had better watch it. If history in Africa over the centuries has shown anything it is that Africa has turned on its foreign plunderers with a unanticipated and unpredictable speed and ruthlessness that has no parallel. If the Chinese think that Africa is there for the taking without showing any loyalty and giving anything back and the plunderers carry on like they are doing they are literally going to loose everything - fact.
    You are wrong. China is investing millions in infrastructure all over Africa and in places like Tanzania Chinese doctors are sent to do almost akin to national service. Did you know that Chinese soapies are dubbed into Swahili and shown on the telly over there. In Sudan a Chinese batallion of "UN engineers" have just completed the building of hospitals. They did the work themselves, working like slaves in the heat, showing the Africans how it is done.

    The Africans love the Chinese because they do not feel threatened by them and the Chinese do not treat them like colonials did. I agree that China, like Brazil, India, America and a few other, is raping the African continent for resources, but at least they are putting something back.

    In South Africa we often complain about the Chinese and see them as a threat, but it would be wise to take a leaf out of their book, see how they do it and learn. We can start with the government, the eradication of poverty and education, in which China has achieved what no other nation has done before. In the 1970's, before opening up, there were 250 million Chinese living under the poverty line, today there is only 29 million. I wish our government will ask how they did it - through opening up the economy and making it possible for businesses to thrive, and by encouraging good education (does this ring a bell in SA?).

    I will be glad to see the day that China starts to really take over Africa, but it will never happen, it is not the way the Chinese do it. You see, I love China and consider it my second home, Mandarin is my third language, I have no fear of the Chinese
    camelman
    '04 Discovery II Td5 GS (using 2SO)
    '95 Discovery I V8i Auto (Now sadly sold, with fond memories)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called "present".

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    benoni
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,664
    Thanked: 50

    Default

    Do you drive a steed?
    4x4 action group
    www.gwm4x4club.co.za

    Nissan navara (camping and family truck)
    Jeep XJ (to make sure fortunes can't follow)
    Triumph tiger 800 (everyday drive)
    Conqueror safari trailer

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wuxi, China
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,321
    Thanked: 2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gualter View Post
    Do you drive a steed?
    Hell no, but then again, I equally dislike Japanese vehicles I said I love China, not its vehicles, but then again, I will probably be buying a Chinese built VW soon for use over there

    Actually, vehicles aside, I found some pretty decent outdoors stuff in China, especially clothing, and will be testing them during my upcoming trip to Namibia in a couple of months.
    Last edited by camelman; 2014/03/14 at 06:06 AM.
    camelman
    '04 Discovery II Td5 GS (using 2SO)
    '95 Discovery I V8i Auto (Now sadly sold, with fond memories)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called "present".

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pretoria...(closest)
    Age
    63
    Posts
    287
    Thanked: 0

    Angry

    Quote Originally Posted by JennyB View Post
    Although I basically agree with the gizz of what she says, China can only get away with it because we let them.

    They look around for poachers and there are hundreds if not thousands quite willing to fill the demand, they apply for harvesting licences and it's given.

    The time has come for us to stop passing the blame and try to change things in China and see why we make it so ridiculously easy for them to rape our resources and drive our wildlife to extinction.
    So true Jenny...So true!!

    I get around quite often..esp. in Southern Africa...what they have done and doing right now is appalling !

    I will tell you why... goverment agents are pocketing big-time...cheap labour..
    easy handouts..
    " IF THE GIANT BEASTS ARE GONE, MAN WILL SURELY DIE FROM A GREAT LONLINESS OF SPIRIT "

    1996 3.0L SANI "EXECUTIVE" S/W
    CAMIL SUSPENSION
    3O/9.5/15 BF GOODRICH A/T
    WILCAT BRANCHES
    REAR SUPER LEAF-SPRINGS
    PORTABLE NL DUAL-BATTERY POWER PACK

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Wilmington
    Age
    61
    Posts
    27
    Thanked: 16

    Default Ye right….

    Quote Originally Posted by camelman View Post
    You are wrong. China is investing millions in infrastructure all over Africa and in places like Tanzania Chinese doctors are sent to do almost akin to national service. Did you know that Chinese soapies are dubbed into Swahili and shown on the telly over there. In Sudan a Chinese batallion of "UN engineers" have just completed the building of hospitals. They did the work themselves, working like slaves in the heat, showing the Africans how it is done.

    The Africans love the Chinese because they do not feel threatened by them and the Chinese do not treat them like colonials did. I agree that China, like Brazil, India, America and a few other, is raping the African continent for resources, but at least they are putting something back.

    In South Africa we often complain about the Chinese and see them as a threat, but it would be wise to take a leaf out of their book, see how they do it and learn. We can start with the government, the eradication of poverty and education, in which China has achieved what no other nation has done before. In the 1970's, before opening up, there were 250 million Chinese living under the poverty line, today there is only 29 million. I wish our government will ask how they did it - through opening up the economy and making it possible for businesses to thrive, and by encouraging good education (does this ring a bell in SA?).

    I will be glad to see the day that China starts to really take over Africa, but it will never happen, it is not the way the Chinese do it. You see, I love China and consider it my second home, Mandarin is my third language, I have no fear of the Chinese
    Couldn't agree LESS…HOGWASH

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East London
    Age
    35
    Posts
    16,927
    Thanked: 2252

    Default

    They may be selfish in their motives but if all South Africans worked as hard the chinese we would be a different country.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    54
    Posts
    526
    Thanked: 219

    Default

    Camelman

    You are so wrong!
    The African people hate the Chinese....they all complain about poor workmanship, quality of products and the Chinese and Indians stealing their jobs and livelihood. They are in fact doing exactly what the Brit's, French, Dutch etc were doing. The only "happy" people are the select few government officials who benefit from this.
    That Mighty Amarok
    ---------------------------------------
    Swart Tires wat ek self gekoop het
    Pull over wat my ouma gebrei het
    Vensters waar deur ek kan sien
    Engine voor
    Exhaust agter

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kenmare
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,934
    Thanked: 46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camelman View Post

    You see, I love China and consider it my second home, Mandarin is my third language, I have no fear of the Chinese
    No no no there is NOTHING to love about China. The Chinese way of doing things is another story.

    Tai-tien

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wuxi, China
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,321
    Thanked: 2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyks View Post
    Camelman

    You are so wrong!
    The African people hate the Chinese....they all complain about poor workmanship, quality of products and the Chinese and Indians stealing their jobs and livelihood. They are in fact doing exactly what the Brit's, French, Dutch etc were doing. The only "happy" people are the select few government officials who benefit from this.
    Point taken, but nobody forces anyone to buy from the Chinese. If you are not happy with their work and products, don't buy it. IMHO the real reason why so many Africans, and people from other countries, hate the Chinese is because they themselves are too lazy or stupid to see opportunities and use them. I see it every day here in PNG, where Asian stores are ransacked and burned, and in some places banned, because it "prevents the local population from setting up their own businesses". But why didn't they do it in the first place?

    Please do not misunderstand me, I do not for one moment deny that there are Chinese who are pillaging resources and exploiting local people, all I am saying is that we cannot judge a whole nation or ethnic group because of the actions of some of their members. White South Africans should probably be able to understand this better than anyone else.

    Personally I am open minded about China and Chinese people, and try to be objective and not stereotype them wearing Western glasses. I studied Mandarin and Chinese culture and history over the last few years and met many good, warm hearted and friendly Chinese people, including my SWAMBO. I often visit China, and will probably be living there for extended periods of time in the near future, which may or may not change my views about China. In the meantime I refuse to be convinced that China and Chinese people are inherently bad, especially by people who have never been there, never met Chinese people, and who think that all Chinese are rhino poachers and shop owners.
    camelman
    '04 Discovery II Td5 GS (using 2SO)
    '95 Discovery I V8i Auto (Now sadly sold, with fond memories)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called "present".

Similar Threads

  1. Garmap Africa Series 2009
    By Ralph_Clark in forum GPS & Mapping
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2008/12/05, 02:14 PM
  2. Southern Africa Streetmaps V1.5
    By Gordz in forum GPS & Mapping
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 2007/08/12, 06:14 PM
  3. Open Spaces through Africa
    By Big Hilux in forum Overland advice, reports etc
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2007/04/26, 02:55 PM
  4. New GPS data for darkest Africa
    By Dirk in forum GPS & Mapping
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2006/12/06, 12:32 PM
  5. Auto Africa show @ Nasrec
    By dcsmax in forum General 4x4 Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 2006/10/26, 09:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •