Discovery 3 Discovery 3 - Broken Crankshaft - The Story

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Post Discovery 3 - Broken Crankshaft - The Story

Hi Guys and Ladies,

This nightmare started on the 4th of January 2014 when me and family were travelling back from Mossel Bay to Centurion. About 35km north of Beaufort West I was passing a truck and the engine just cut out, and we free wheeled to the side of the road, 12h30 mid day in the karoo. Stopped, checked the water and oil levels all was just fine, tried to turn the engine, and immediately I heard that there was something "big" wrong inside.

So the first lesson that we learned - Roadside assistance is very valuable especially after you get told by your insurer that the first available tow truck can possibly be with you at 22h00 tonight... After I declined the offer, the insurer did find a tow service that was not part of their contractors pool and that they can be there within 45 minutes. What a nice experience it was working with Jupiter Towing Services from Beaufort West - if you ever need assistance in that area, I recommend you to phone Beon at zero 78 three three 7037 - 5 star service. Also do not expect anybody to stop, as nobody stopped to even ask if we have enough water in the 5 hours we were next to the road in the heat - some people did hoot at as and waved and continue driving at 120+km/h - carry enough water and something to eat, because even if you don't get to use it, somebody else might need it that is stranded next to the road.

We found a B&B to overnight with and the next day I started to remove the two propshafts, as advised by the after hour workshop staff at Land Rover Bloemfontein, because I couldn't afford the cheapest quote of R16 500 to get my car delivered to Centurion.

The second lesson learned: If you drive a Disco, and you would want to maybe perhaps someday remove the propshafts, then you will have to get yourself a flat no 8 ringspanner, and then add a 19 spanner for leverage and you will be able to disconnect the front prop shaft - this will probably take you 1 and half hours to loosen the 12 bolts. Also have something handy to tie the front prop shaft to the chassis as there is no way to get it out without removing the cross member. For the rear prop shaft it only took us 45 minutes to remove with a 12 ring spanner and a 19 for leverage. The 4 bolts connecting the prop shaft to the rear diff was easy. Biggest hinderance on both prop shafts is work space.

And this is where family comes in VERY handy - my Father (Land cruiser Diesel double cab) and Brother (Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Did GLX) ended their holiday in Mossel Bay a week early to come and tow me home. The Pajero took me to Kimberley and then on Monday the cruiser towed me to Centurion - at a steady 65km/h - and that all just because we never leave anybody behind - sure hope you guys are blessed with family like that !!!

Ok, so here is where that unhappy part start, and where I would like to ask for advice or any other assistance that can be provided. As the repair bill finally arrived today, and BOOM - R90 000 - the aftermarket extended warranty that I bought from Auto Excellence, where I bought the Discovery 18 month, 40 000km ago, is paying R41 000 - which leaves me with R49 000 balance.

What I have done so far:
    1] Asked Auto Excellence to do a trade in, and they valued my car as R160 000 minus the R49 000 - so giving me R110 000 for a car that I bought for R310 000 18 months, 40 000km ago - I just shook my head - a 50% depreciation in 18 months - so this is not an option for me.

2] I was advised by Baben to look for a second hand engine - but have not been able to track one down.

3] I have emailed Peter at LandyWorx - for a second opinion but have not heard back from him either.

4] I am also writing an email to Land Rover South Africa - to see if they can't be of some assistance.

5] I am going to speak directly to Anton from Auto Excellence, because previously I just spoke to a sales guy there.

Here is the full detail of the car:
    2008 White Discovery 3 2.7 tdi SE
    152 500 km on the clock
    been serviced every 12 000 km at Auto Excellence.

PS: Found this link on the forum explaining the flaw on the 2.7tdi engine :
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=126939

So yes, I have very much mixed emotions at this stage, and I am not sure to do, so any advice and assistance would be welcomed.

Thanks
    Leon Tiedt
    O 82 three three 7 five five 33
    leon "at" tiedt dot co dot za
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140104_152207.jpg 
Views:	1802 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	266744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140104_164847.jpg 
Views:	879 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	266745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140106_183926.jpg 
Views:	815 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	266746  
    Last edited by leontiedt; 2014/02/18 at 02:51 PM.
    Leon Tiedt

Toyota Land Cruiser 105Gx - Outback Roofrack, Custom Awning, Warn M12000, Burnco Bar - re-manufactured by me to fit the Warn M12000, Long range tank, Spare Tire Swing Arm, ARB Compressor, LED Bar, Hella spots, Snorkel, 100mm lift, Koni RAID Shocks
    Toyota Hilux S/C 1uz-fe, 4x4 - Slightly Modified
    EX : Land Rover Discovery 3 TDv6 - Expedition Roof Rack, Warn M8000, ARB Bar, Long range tank, Spare Tire swing arm, ARB Compressor, RoadRage LED Bar, Snorkel - but it BrrrrrOKE...
    EX : Pajero 1999 Blister Fender 3.5 v6 DOHC - modified

Dis nie lekker nie!!

Sterkte tjom!
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

I'm sure if you put up a bit of a fight the extended warantee might come around.

But why dont you call LandyWorx or Walter from LRExtreme (083) three double 7 4912
    I'm sure they would give you much better advice.

I have absolutely no experience with these guys but often come across their website.

www.lrspares.co.za
    They claim to have used and new TDV6's and sub assemblies.

Hope this helps!
    --
    Discovery 3 2006 TDV6 SE - Custom roofrack, VHF, IIDTool, Faultmate MSV-2, GVIF unit, AO Bluetooth Audio unit, Disco 4 Bluetooth Phone unit
    Discovery II 1999 TD5 GS, Ashcroft CDL, EGR-blanked, Madman EMS! - Sold
    Audi A3 Platkar

ORRA X169

As the repair bill finally arrived today, and BOOM - R90 000
    Jurra tjom daai is mal pryse daai! I'm so sorry to hear this man and I do wish I could help you in some way. Everything of the best for you.

I am also writing an email to Land Rover South Africa - to see if they can't be of some assistance.
    I do hope they, or someone comes through for you.

Speak to Gasman on the forum. I think he has had a similar experience and could give you valuable advice.

Good luck, that is not something you wish to anyone.

I also see there is a company in Pomona that sells second hand D3 engines, I cant remember the name now.

Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

Quote Originally Posted by oceandriven View Post
    I have absolutely no experience with these guys but often come across their website.

www.lrspares.co.za
    They claim to have used and new TDV6's and sub assemblies.

Hope this helps!
    Yes this is the company.

(Will teach me to read all of the replies carefully)

Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

Also, again, can't vouch for the company:

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-replaceme...40910004562609

It does totally stink though.

Default Crank shaft damage

Hi Leontiedt
    Please forgive me when did you email me. I hope it was not through the website. My hmm website developer has not yet set it up hmmm!
    Anyway Leon Auto excellence has just had two motors of the same type of damage repaired by Centurion Motor Engineering or CME. They are pioneering repairs on TDV6 motors with run bearings and broken crankshafts and I do believe you will get change from R49k.
    Speak to a guy called Andre. Unfortunately I have left my cell phone at the office so I can't give you his number.
    I am sure you will come right and then this time treat your new motor with Poly PTFE.
    Take care

http://www.overlandworx.com

Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)
    Peter Street

2013 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE 8sp AKA " Gr8 White Induna"
    2019 Disco 5 TD6 HSE AKA Disco V

lrspares in cape town are a well known company for lr spares
    It is rumoured that a lot of other landy spares shops buy from them
    I just wonder if there is a connection between them and a similar named company in durban

Peter
    Thats forum power

good one

Ross

George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

I believe the TDV6 is a Peugeot designed engine? I wonder what their thinking was for fitting big ends without key - ends. Peugeot engines used to be extremely reliable in the 404/504 cars. I wonder if the modern Peugeots have the same design flaw?

Hi Rhodex

it is a PSA engine, a cooperation product between Peugeot and Citroen. Ford is also manufacturing engines without big end bearing keys.

This practice results in a saving in manufacturing costs, which (sometimes) comes back with a vengeance AFTER the warranty had expired.

Without having to repeat myself, there is a fix for this bearing problem. Contact Peter from Landyworx or Mike Grant from Mikes Mechanic in PMB.

kind regards

George
    Last edited by hgbosch; 2014/02/19 at 10:16 AM. Reason: semantic
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Morning Guys

This whole situation is like chess game, which I have to play right to have the best outcome for me. Thank you very much for all the encouragement and advice - I really do appreciate it. I will use this thread as a resource repository to make my future decisions, so please post more advice etc should you stumble on something new.

!!! Damn I like FORUM POWER !!!

For now I think my chosen approach will be to first speak to Anton directly from Auto Excellence, as I did buy the car from them. I have heard a lot of good things from Auto Excellence especially about their excellent after service.

TgwInduna - Yes I tried to contact you via the website - note taken - my Discovery is the 3rd one from Auto Excellence at CME and the quote above is from them.

I want to make one thing clear that my aim with this thread is not to knock anybody, but rather to inform people that these things DOES happen, and like TgwInduna said there is prevention steps, so that people who have Disco 3s with the tdv6 engine and have not yet treated it, can get it treated. I was not aware about this flaw even though I did a lot of research before hand.
    Leon Tiedt

Toyota Land Cruiser 105Gx - Outback Roofrack, Custom Awning, Warn M12000, Burnco Bar - re-manufactured by me to fit the Warn M12000, Long range tank, Spare Tire Swing Arm, ARB Compressor, LED Bar, Hella spots, Snorkel, 100mm lift, Koni RAID Shocks
    EX : Land Rover Discovery 3 TDv6 - Expedition Roof Rack, Warn M8000, ARB Bar, Long range tank, Spare Tire swing arm, ARB Compressor, RoadRage LED Bar, Snorkel - but it BrrrrrOKE...

Now let my research begins...is the 2011 Disco4's with the SDV6 motor also affected by this and needs the PTFE treatment?

Hope LR do assist you with a claim of some sort...or Auto Excellence...

Hi Guys and Ladies,

Just had a call from Anton at Auto Excellence - he will be phoning me tomorrow morning with an appointment time - so far so good.
    Leon Tiedt

All the best Leon. I trust it will be resolved to your satisfaction.

Best of luck Leon, my blood runs cold when I read these stories!
    2013 Discovery 4 SDV6S
    2008 Discovery 3 TDV6S (SWAMBO)
    Imagine Comfortvan

Best of luck Leon; am I correct in assuming that yours was not treated beforehand?
    2008 9A Discovery 3 TDV6 SE "Binky"
    2015 Amarok Auto Highline

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast