Discovery 3 Discovery 3 - Broken Crankshaft - The Story - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Discovery 3 - Broken Crankshaft - The Story

Quote Originally Posted by GonpozoLr4 View Post
    Thanks, I´m going to replace the short Block LR038168, refurbish the head pistons, new water pump and checking the injectors. I have to pay more than 12.000euros and Land Rover with me the back.
    Ciao Sergio

yes fitting a new short block is the only answer. There have been some very good attempts to rebuild these motors, but all eventually stopped because nobody can guarantee that the crank is not going to grenade on a rebuilt motor.

Just be very careful with the heads. Have them checked for straightness, before you even attempt to refurbish them. If they need skimming, rather buy a long block (including heads) from JLR. It is only about €800.00 more. When were the injectors changed? If not rather fit new ones.

Also goes for the HPFP.

Good luck!

George
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hgbosch For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hgbosch View Post
    Ciao Sergio

yes fitting a new short block is the only answer. There have been some very good attempts to rebuild these motors, but all eventually stopped because nobody can guarantee that the crank is not going to grenade on a rebuilt motor.

Just be very careful with the heads. Have them checked for straightness, before you even attempt to refurbish them. If they need skimming, rather buy a long block (including heads) from JLR. It is only about €800.00 more. When were the injectors changed? If not rather fit new ones.

Also goes for the HPFP.

Good luck!

George
    George

Thank you and even answered my question asked in my "seized engine opened thread" which became a circus and a joke

My heads were certified straight but needed new valve guides and valves...?? I am not comfortable..!!

In South Africa the difference between new Long and Short blocks are huge..(35 K)
    Recon heads sells for R10 500-00 each excluding VAT

It seems that if need to buy heads, gasket set, head bolts and timing gear I will end up very close or level to a New Long Block

What is your feeling on a Line bored, honed block...New Crank, bearings, New Pistons and rings ??
    Is this what REMTEK does on their remans..?

I trust your advice

Regards
    1997 Discovery 1 300 TD i ...Old Faithful
    2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV 6...not sure yet ?

removed comment
    Last edited by jelo; 2018/05/31 at 08:51 AM.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    are you STILL looking down this road?
    Some people just will not listen, I went that way and the motor failed within 1000km.

have been some very good attempts to rebuild these motors, but all eventually stopped because nobody can guarantee that the crank is not going to grenade on a rebuilt motor.
    Quote Originally Posted by LRTDV6 View Post

What is your feeling on a Line bored, honed block...New Crank, bearings, New Pistons and rings ??
    Is this what REMTEK does on their remans..?

I trust your advice

Regards
    He has given his advice above. Few times already.
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

removed comment
    Last edited by jelo; 2018/05/31 at 08:51 AM.
    Percivamus

Hey guys please relax...and read the question actually asked George....about Heads..

My new short block is delivered Friday...And a respected engine builder in PTA will assemble..as recommended by the provider as to get my full guarantee

The used block with new parts came up when I ordered the New sub and the dealer guaranteed that option for 12 months..Not a huge price difference due to line boring cost

I believe it is my prerogative to ask questions from forum members who I accepted as respectable seeing that this is a forum where we share information and there is no need to attack the person instead of the problem

Luckily Jelo and Oppies opinions and remarks do not fall in the forum member class I see as respectable and valued...

CIa Sergio and George please accept my apology for turning this thread in a circus as well
    1997 Discovery 1 300 TD i ...Old Faithful
    2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV 6...not sure yet ?

Ciao Sergio

Also goes for the HPFP.

Good luck!

George
    Hi all,

Thanks for your tips, I think that in Spain the Short block with head its near to 10.000 plus taxes, we decided to check and to skim with new valves and guides and the injector was reviewed by Bosch Diesel workshop. Sorry, what does mean HPFP?.

I hope that could do a lot of millage with this.

Best regards
    Sergio
    Last edited by GonpozoLr4; 2018/05/30 at 10:52 PM.

HPFP looks like high pressure fuel pump

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LRTDV6 View Post
    Luckily Jelo and Oppies opinions and remarks do not fall in the forum member class I see as respectable and valued...
    fair enough, won't comment on your stuff again, and this wasn't even your thread
    Percivamus

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

fair enough, won't comment on your stuff again, and this wasn't even your thread
    You have been shunned, by name..!!.. still waiting for mine to appear..
    Last edited by Marcochezzi; 2018/05/31 at 09:55 AM.
    Every dog has its day, and those with broken tails have their weak-ends...

1976 CJ-7, 400CI + Holley EFI, Tera-Low 3,15:1 twin stick, ARB's front & rear, oil leaks & plenty more....

All my other petrol burners are boring....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Marcochezzi For This Useful Post:

removed comment
    Do not be concerned, I quoted you we will live on in infamy......

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gieds For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by leontiedt View Post
    Hi Guys and Ladies,

This nightmare started on the 4th of January 2014 when me and family were travelling back from Mossel Bay to Centurion. About 35km north of Beaufort West I was passing a truck and the engine just cut out, and we free wheeled to the side of the road, 12h30 mid day in the karoo. Stopped, checked the water and oil levels all was just fine, tried to turn the engine, and immediately I heard that there was something "big" wrong inside.

So the first lesson that we learned - Roadside assistance is very valuable especially after you get told by your insurer that the first available tow truck can possibly be with you at 22h00 tonight... After I declined the offer, the insurer did find a tow service that was not part of their contractors pool and that they can be there within 45 minutes. What a nice experience it was working with Jupiter Towing Services from Beaufort West - if you ever need assistance in that area, I recommend you to phone Beon at zero 78 three three 7037 - 5 star service. Also do not expect anybody to stop, as nobody stopped to even ask if we have enough water in the 5 hours we were next to the road in the heat - some people did hoot at as and waved and continue driving at 120+km/h - carry enough water and something to eat, because even if you don't get to use it, somebody else might need it that is stranded next to the road.

We found a B&B to overnight with and the next day I started to remove the two propshafts, as advised by the after hour workshop staff at Land Rover Bloemfontein, because I couldn't afford the cheapest quote of R16 500 to get my car delivered to Centurion.

The second lesson learned: If you drive a Disco, and you would want to maybe perhaps someday remove the propshafts, then you will have to get yourself a flat no 8 ringspanner, and then add a 19 spanner for leverage and you will be able to disconnect the front prop shaft - this will probably take you 1 and half hours to loosen the 12 bolts. Also have something handy to tie the front prop shaft to the chassis as there is no way to get it out without removing the cross member. For the rear prop shaft it only took us 45 minutes to remove with a 12 ring spanner and a 19 for leverage. The 4 bolts connecting the prop shaft to the rear diff was easy. Biggest hinderance on both prop shafts is work space.

And this is where family comes in VERY handy - my Father (Land cruiser Diesel double cab) and Brother (Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Did GLX) ended their holiday in Mossel Bay a week early to come and tow me home. The Pajero took me to Kimberley and then on Monday the cruiser towed me to Centurion - at a steady 65km/h - and that all just because we never leave anybody behind - sure hope you guys are blessed with family like that !!!

Ok, so here is where that unhappy part start, and where I would like to ask for advice or any other assistance that can be provided. As the repair bill finally arrived today, and BOOM - R90 000 - the aftermarket extended warranty that I bought from Auto Excellence, where I bought the Discovery 18 month, 40 000km ago, is paying R41 000 - which leaves me with R49 000 balance.

What I have done so far:
    1] Asked Auto Excellence to do a trade in, and they valued my car as R160 000 minus the R49 000 - so giving me R110 000 for a car that I bought for R310 000 18 months, 40 000km ago - I just shook my head - a 50% depreciation in 18 months - so this is not an option for me.

2] I was advised by Baben to look for a second hand engine - but have not been able to track one down.

3] I have emailed Peter at LandyWorx - for a second opinion but have not heard back from him either.

4] I am also writing an email to Land Rover South Africa - to see if they can't be of some assistance.

5] I am going to speak directly to Anton from Auto Excellence, because previously I just spoke to a sales guy there.

Here is the full detail of the car:
    2008 White Discovery 3 2.7 tdi SE
    152 500 km on the clock
    been serviced every 12 000 km at Auto Excellence.

PS: Found this link on the forum explaining the flaw on the 2.7tdi engine :
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=126939

So yes, I have very much mixed emotions at this stage, and I am not sure to do, so any advice and assistance would be welcomed.

Thanks
    Leon Tiedt
    O 82 three three 7 five five 33
    leon "at" tiedt dot co dot za
    Soos ek nou die storie lees word ek van vooraf siek.Ek het self 50000 km met n disco 3 [email protected] per km.Nooit in my lewe sal ek weer n land rover produk koop nie,mits ek op n stadium meer geld as verstand het.My innige simpatie aan enige persoon wat nog daaraan dink om soortgelyk produk te bekom.Ek is net bly ek is ontslaevan die ewige worries

19. The Following User Says Thank You to andre husselmann For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by andre husselmann View Post
    Soos ek nou die storie lees word ek van vooraf siek.Ek het self 50000 km met n disco 3 [email protected] per km.Nooit in my lewe sal ek weer n land rover produk koop nie,mits ek op n stadium meer geld as verstand het.My innige simpatie aan enige persoon wat nog daaraan dink om soortgelyk produk te bekom.Ek is net bly ek is ontslaevan die ewige worries
    Moet n fout wees. R150mil?

Zapiture,
    Paj 3.8i GLS SWB
    Solid Rock Sliders
    Bash plates
    Warn 8000lbs
    EFS suspension
    Nissan Hardbody 4x4
    Conqueror Commander 2014

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Zapiture For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by andre husselmann View Post
    R150 miljoen..? ...en jy het nog ietsie oor? Ek neem aan R3 per km oor 50000Km...
    1979 VW Type 2 Kombi

2010 Discovery 4 TDV6

Quote Originally Posted by JockRR View Post
    R150 miljoen..? ...en jy het nog ietsie oor? Ek neem aan R3 per km oor 50000Km...
    Dan weer hoopeloos te min?

Zapiture,
    Paj 3.8i GLS SWB
    Solid Rock Sliders
    Bash plates
    Warn 8000lbs
    EFS suspension
    Nissan Hardbody 4x4
    Conqueror Commander 2014

R3 per km:
    Dit is wat my patrol my kos net aan versekering en lisensiegelde....

Petrol en jaarlikse diens kos my nog R3 per km

Rente kos my R8 per km...

So my 4.8 GRX kos my rofweg R14/km, en julle moan oor cranks wat snap @ R3/km...
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Reenen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zapiture View Post
    Dan weer hoopeloos te min?
    ..dalk net vir die crank?
    1979 VW Type 2 Kombi

2010 Discovery 4 TDV6

Quote Originally Posted by JockRR View Post
    ..dalk net vir die crank?
    Kom Andre vertel ons hoe lyk 'n Disco se budget....
    1979 VW Type 2 Kombi

2010 Discovery 4 TDV6

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4