Discovery 3 Discovery 3 - Broken Crankshaft - The Story - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Side note question->
    Hallo Herr Bosch,
    Could I use Poly-TFE in my QD32ETi 14year old
    motor? If so, please direct me where I can order
    and purchase the Poly-TFE.

Also, maybe a website or a thread where the application and workings of the Poly-TFE is documented.

Thank you in advance, Swakop

End Side note ->
    '00 Nissan D22 QD32Ti 4x4 D/C
    '10 Toyota LC150 4.0V6 VX
    '10 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré
    Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ifx View Post
    Yeah, it may reduce the wear, but its probably just a matter of time, that's why I wondered whether it would be worth exploring putting new bearings in the motor as a preventative measure at say 150K, but I guess the costs are pretty prohibitive anyway, so maybe its not worth it?
    HI ifx

the problem with the TDV6 engine is the cold starts after a long period of standing. No viscosity modifier will offer any protection whatsoever during the cold start phase, while oil pressure is being built up in the engine.

The only way to protect the TDV6 engine from shedding its bearings is to prevent them from being dragged round by the crank before the pressurized oil film has been built up.

Poly-TFE's properties when applied correctly will prevent precisely this.

And please this is a cautionary to all TDV6 owners:

Never never never add something like Wynns No smoke or other viscosity modifiers to a TDV6 engine. They only make the oil thicker and will make matters worse.

5W30 oil of fully synthetic quality (not the hydro cracked variety!!) is the correct oil for the TDV6.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Quote Originally Posted by swakop_toe View Post
    Side note question->
    Hallo Herr Bosch,
    Could I use Poly-TFE in my QD32ETi 14year old
    motor? If so, please direct me where I can order
    and purchase the Poly-TFE.

Also, maybe a website or a thread where the application and workings of the Poly-TFE is documented.

Thank you in advance, Swakop

End Side note ->
    Hi Swakop

you can use Poly-TFE in any motor car engine, petrol or diesel, irrespective of its age.

The oldest vehicle in our family collection is a 1935 Derby Bentley and that is treated as well as the newest derivative of that make, my dad's W12 Continental GT (2006).

Send me a pm with your email address please.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Sorry again, found this tread: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=110400

But all references to where and which brand/label of polyPTFE to get has been removed.
    Maybe a PM thenN please?
    '00 Nissan D22 QD32Ti 4x4 D/C
    '10 Toyota LC150 4.0V6 VX
    '10 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré
    Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by hgbosch View Post
    HI ifx

the problem with the TDV6 engine is the cold starts after a long period of standing. No viscosity modifier will offer any protection whatsoever during the cold start phase, while oil pressure is being built up in the engine.

The only way to protect the TDV6 engine from shedding its bearings is to prevent them from being dragged round by the crank before the pressurized oil film has been built up.

Poly-TFE's properties when applied correctly will prevent precisely this.

And please this is a cautionary to all TDV6 owners:

Never never never add something like Wynns No smoke or other viscosity modifiers to a TDV6 engine. They only make the oil thicker and will make matters worse.

5W30 oil of fully synthetic quality (not the hydro cracked variety!!) is the correct oil for the TDV6.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion
    Thanks HG, that's great info.

Hello guys.

I am a true landy fan, but Land Rover has missed the plot completely with their Diesel motors. Since they started in 19voertsek, they have not gotten it right. So to start off, I would avoid them.

But I digress. The Engineering route would be the best bet here. But for 49k they better correct the design flaw.

The other thing is about any oil additive or poly ptfe treatments. Oil companies spend millions og dollars on research. If those additives added value, they would be in the oils already. And as said above, no oil or additive will correct this issue anyway. So good money chucked in the landy hole.

Leon, I really hope you get this sorted. Just remember that spending 50k is still cheaper than selling and buying a new Landy. So make sure they fix it properly and enjoy.
    Regards
    Pleco

Land Rover. The Art Of Arriving!

Wink

Probeer Dover Parts in Selby (011) 493-6717 of die persoon in Pemona is Jack (011) 979-5212. Ek koop altyd by Dover Parts maar het nou ook op die ou in Pemona af gekom en my Landy Spares daar gekoop hulle het nuwe en ou parte

Sterkte
    Charlie van wyk
    084 552 4668

Quote Originally Posted by Pleco View Post
    Hello guys.

I am a true landy fan, but Land Rover has missed the plot completely with their Diesel motors. Since they started in 19voertsek, they have not gotten it right. So to start off, I would avoid them.

But I digress. The Engineering route would be the best bet here. But for 49k they better correct the design flaw.

The other thing is about any oil additive or poly ptfe treatments. Oil companies spend millions og dollars on research. If those additives added value, they would be in the oils already. And as said above, no oil or additive will correct this issue anyway. So good money chucked in the landy hole.

Leon, I really hope you get this sorted. Just remember that spending 50k is still cheaper than selling and buying a new Landy. So make sure they fix it properly and enjoy.
    Pleco, sure there have been some problems with the TDV6 D3 and these have been well documented, even so there are thousands of TDV6's that have high mileage that have never had a problem. The D4 diesel is and has proved to be very very reliable so perhaps you are being a bit harsh on Landrover's diesels. The TD5 engine is also relibale and many have over 300 000km here on the forum. Guys that have done the oil "treatment" on the D3 dont seem to have had any issues either.
    Jeep, there is only one.

Quote Originally Posted by leontiedt View Post
    Hi Guys and Ladies,

What I have done so far:
    1] Asked Auto Excellence to do a trade in, and they valued my car as R160 000 minus the R49 000 - so giving me R110 000 for a car that I bought for R310 000 18 months, 40 000km ago - I just shook my head - a 50% depreciation in 18 months - so this is not an option for me.
    AH!! Auto Excellence. I bought a Disco 3 2007 model TDV6 from them in September last year. It cost me R212k at the time.I was offered a trade in of R115k on it a last week. That's almost 100% in 6 months.

Now I fully understand economies of scale and that stealers need to make a small profit to survive, but really, what they doing is daylight robbery. Problem is people that have owned a Disco 3 now bash the brand and the product and not the stealers who don't give fair trade in prices. The "book value" states R180k for trade and R205 for retail.

And Morne/Andre if you read this, im STILL waiting for my spare keys 6 months after taking delivery of the vehicle.

If anyones interested, Im selling mine for R175k negotiable. Its in the classifieds.
    Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD6 D/Cab 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by pora99 View Post
    this right here is what makes us land rover drivers so special. This whole 4 page thread is full of support, concern and advise. Not one bit of sarcasm or mockery at all that diseases the rest of the internet.

I know i am not helping at all by stating all of this but this is why 4x4 community south africa and it's landy men are second to none.

I am sure the solution will be found and at the right price! (free!)

well done gentlemen
    +100 !!!
    Leon Tiedt

Toyota Land Cruiser 105Gx - Outback Roofrack, Custom Awning, Warn M12000, Burnco Bar - re-manufactured by me to fit the Warn M12000, Long range tank, Spare Tire Swing Arm, ARB Compressor, LED Bar, Hella spots, Snorkel, 100mm lift, Koni RAID Shocks
    Toyota Hilux S/C 1uz-fe, 4x4 - Slightly Modified
    EX : Land Rover Discovery 3 TDv6 - Expedition Roof Rack, Warn M8000, ARB Bar, Long range tank, Spare Tire swing arm, ARB Compressor, RoadRage LED Bar, Snorkel - but it BrrrrrOKE...
    EX : Pajero 1999 Blister Fender 3.5 v6 DOHC - modified

Default disco 3 crankshaft

MY fathers just had csame failure on his 2008 tdv6 hse.
    he is basesd in cape town what is his best bet locally?

Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
    AH!! Auto Excellence. I bought a Disco 3 2007 model TDV6 from them in September last year. It cost me R212k at the time.I was offered a trade in of R115k on it a last week. That's almost 100% in 6 months.

Now I fully understand economies of scale and that stealers need to make a small profit to survive, but really, what they doing is daylight robbery. Problem is people that have owned a Disco 3 now bash the brand and the product and not the stealers who don't give fair trade in prices. The "book value" states R180k for trade and R205 for retail.

And Morne/Andre if you read this, im STILL waiting for my spare keys 6 months after taking delivery of the vehicle.

If anyones interested, Im selling mine for R175k negotiable. Its in the classifieds.
    And you thought the CPA is protecting you, you are paying dearly for it, the dealer is working the cost of a new sub assembly and air suspension compressor into account, your account, because there is a chance given the history that he may just fork out some big bucks................

This thread has me worried !! Any advice, please ?
    I have a 2006 TDV6 SE, without any mods, 160 000 km on the clock. I will be doing a 4000 km round trip from Pretoria to the Tankwa and Ceder mountains soon, with 6 adults in the car and a light trailer behind. I have little technical knowledge, and need advice on how to have the Disco tested and measures to be taken to prevent crank failure as per this thread.
    Previous repairs were alternator replacement at 100 000 km, and suspension air pump replacement at 145 000 km. All services after service plan done by British 4x4. At next service front control arm bushes need to be replaced, and I will ask to look at a slight song from probably the propshaft. Otherwise great car altogether.

Hi bud

Check some of the other threads, specifically one about TDV6 engine rebuilds; lots of info there.
    2008 9A Discovery 3 TDV6 SE "Binky"
    2015 Amarok Auto Highline

Default replacement engines

I have a post in the TDV6 preventative maintenance topic in the stickies for replacement engines - check it out

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...48#post2129848

It is a option that can be pursued for crank failures.

Cheers
    Gert
    Bush Lapa Miskruier

Hi Leon

My friend's Disco3 tdiV6 also had the same failure and his was towed to LR Nelspruit who replaced the subassembly for +/- R145 000. Motorite just walked away from the claim and LRSA eventually paid (I think) the parts which apparently was about half of that.

So what I am saying is that LRSA knows about the problem with this engine and I my opinion is that you really press them...tell them you will get all the details of people who experienced same (will be easy from this forum) and you will take it to Carte Blanche.

Hi Leon,
    Sorry to hear, i also bought a D3 tdv6 from Auto Excellence about 18 months ago and also broke a crank. the only differance is that my happened 1,5 months after I bought it and they fixed it using the insurance and they fit the bill for the rest. it also happened at about the same Km's and within 10K Km after the cam belt was changed. I wish you the best and hope it works out.
    Discovery 2 Td5
    Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE - Sold

Default Re: Discovery 3 - Broken Crankshaft - The Story

Hi all,

I would like to share with you my expirience. My Discovery 4, 3.0 with 300.000km just was broken the Crankshaft, always using the Castrol professional 5w30 in the Land Rover Service every 20.000km.

Regards
    Sergio

Sorry to hear. Horrible situation to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by Therackermann View Post
    Sorry to hear. Horrible situation to be in.
    Thanks, I´m going to replace the short Block LR038168, refurbish the head pistons, new water pump and checking the injectors. I have to pay more than 12.000euros and Land Rover with me the back.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast