Discovery 3 Discovery 3 - Broken Crankshaft - The Story - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hey Leon,

Good luck with all this, by the way - it seems that you can get the "Replacement TDV6 main bearings/big end bearings" from Britpart - might be cheaper than a short block/subassembly". Hope you get sorted soon, one doesn't need stress like this...

Iain

All this hassle just because the manufacturer wants to save on production costs!!!

Good luck buddy!!!!

Hello, I just came across this add on Gums, you might want to check it out. Never dealt with them but it can't hurt to give them a shout.

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-replaceme...30910000650609

Quote Originally Posted by ifx View Post
    Hey Leon,

Good luck with all this, by the way - it seems that you can get the "Replacement TDV6 main bearings/big end bearings" from Britpart - might be cheaper than a short block/subassembly". Hope you get sorted soon, one doesn't need stress like this...

Iain
    Hi guys

those bearings come in at a horrendous price, somewhere around R17'000.00 as per British4x4.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Good morning everybody,

Just returned from my meeting with Anton, and what a pleasure that was! We spoke about the possibilities that is currently on the table -

1] The new land rover short block fitted
    2] Fitting a second crank and re-engineering a second hand block

(Both options comes with a warranty)

My initial warranty has pre-approved the R41 000 so I choose to go with option 2 - and for the first time I feel confident again. Anton explained to me the engineering process and I am really impressed. He also invited me for a visit to the engineering shop next week which I am looking forward to.

Thank you very much for each and everyones support, comments and advice. Will update the thread as things progress.
    Last edited by leontiedt; 2014/02/27 at 10:49 AM.
    Leon Tiedt

Toyota Land Cruiser 105Gx - Outback Roofrack, Custom Awning, Warn M12000, Burnco Bar - re-manufactured by me to fit the Warn M12000, Long range tank, Spare Tire Swing Arm, ARB Compressor, LED Bar, Hella spots, Snorkel, 100mm lift, Koni RAID Shocks
    Toyota Hilux S/C 1uz-fe, 4x4 - Slightly Modified
    EX : Land Rover Discovery 3 TDv6 - Expedition Roof Rack, Warn M8000, ARB Bar, Long range tank, Spare Tire swing arm, ARB Compressor, RoadRage LED Bar, Snorkel - but it BrrrrrOKE...
    EX : Pajero 1999 Blister Fender 3.5 v6 DOHC - modified

Remember to take a lot of photos of the damage if possible...

Well glad to hear that the costs on your part is not as bad as previously expected. All the best and may you have again smooth 'sailing'

all the best and may you have again smooth 'sailing'
    +100 :-)

Leon,

My D3 se sub-assembly het ook bearing geslaan laasjaar (die nou al bekende tdv6 bearing issue).

Whitey in Pretoria-Noord het my S-A oorgebou vir R48K en dan kry jy 6 maande of 15000 km waarborg (warranty). Hy sit engine weer terug ook vir ekstra R12k.

Whitey se nr : 0832889717.

Nog 'n opsie vir jou om te oorweeg.

Sterkte
    Last edited by wollies; 2014/02/21 at 05:40 PM.
    2001 Landrover Discovery TD5 XS
    2007 Landrover Discovery TDV6
    2012 Summit K2 4x4 trailer
    Swambo :MB Vito 2.2 CDI

Ex:
    Def 110 TD5
    Disco 2 TD5 GS
    Disco 2 TD5 ES
    PRADO 4 L

The second one I know off with same issue . My sister also had a Discovery like yours . And had exactly the same issue . Crankshaft broke in half .

She loved it , and was disappointed in the issue of the motor . She actually traded it in with 220 000 km and they gave her about R150 000 . She now drives a JEEP WRANGLER RUBICON . Although she misses the luxury of the DISCOVERY .

She drives PRETTY aggressive , and thought it was her driving , but it seems like to be a problem . She had 2 motors in her late 90s Alfa Spider . If that means anything .

Hope you are sorted with your vehicle .

My D3 was treated with Poly.....

Therefore treatment doesn't mean your engine is now "safe" nor is it preventig any bearing issues as some might claim the treatment could.

The treatment did not prevent my engine damage and I did everything possible (incl. oil test before buying the vehicle).
    Last edited by wollies; 2014/02/21 at 05:49 PM.

Ex:
    Def 110 TD5
    Disco 2 TD5 GS
    Disco 2 TD5 ES
    PRADO 4 L

THIS RIGHT HERE is what makes us Land Rover drivers so special. This whole 4 page thread is full of support, concern and advise. Not one bit of sarcasm or mockery at all that diseases the rest of the internet.

I know I am not helping at all by stating all of this but this is why 4x4 community south africa and it's landy men are second to none.

I am sure the solution will be found and at the right price! (Free!)

Well done gentlemen

well said Pora, it really is a community of what seems like close friends. quite a privilege being part of this.
    Discovery 1 300tdi (Sold)
    Discovery 2 td5
    Discovery 3 SE V8

Quote Originally Posted by wollies View Post

Therefore treatment doesn't mean your engine is now "safe" nor is it preventig any bearing issues as some might claim the treatment could.

The treatment did not prevent my engine damage and I did everything possible (incl. oil test before buying the vehicle).

Thank you for sharing this! Now this is a new ball game all together..... PTFE (??) treatment not the 100% answer to this problem anymore.
    Bush Lapa Miskruier

Quote Originally Posted by Disconostic View Post
    Thank you for sharing this! Now this is a new ball game all together..... PTFE (??) treatment not the 100% answer to this problem anymore.
    I am not a PTFE user - there is none in my Landy.
    From my understanding of the world at large the only 100% guarantee is death.
    I follow the 2SO threads and the PTFE threads with interest.
    Intelligent debate is ALWAYS great. I believe nothing can fix what is already damaged - so if the engine is not looked after from day 1, nothing you do at 150000Kms is going to fix the damage. PTFE is a great lubricant from my reading, but not a fix-it-all.
    Just my 1/2c
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

Yes, I agree but when someone claims it is a proven formula I tent to differ for there is no proof and it is misleading.

In fact my experience is the opposite (had the treatment but still bearing seized).
    Last edited by wollies; 2014/02/22 at 10:11 AM.

Ex:
    Def 110 TD5
    Disco 2 TD5 GS
    Disco 2 TD5 ES
    PRADO 4 L

Wollies
    I have a problem with your statement and you are misleading the use of Poly PTFE. When in fact according to your first post of the crank snapping you claimed to have used Pro1 .

Should I sell or keep - D3 engine failure
    Hi all,

Yes , another blooming D3 engine failure to the Landie family - crankshaft is shot.

I am not impressed as every step was taken to prevent engine failure (dreaded D3 reputation) like Pro1 , oil test , etc.

Only have 135k on the clock.

I am so gatvol and I am longing back to my Prado 4 days although my 12 year old D2 still going like a rocket......

Regards

That made me surprised when you first announced that your bearings had seized on your crank when the supposedly oil test was normal and you used Pro 1 engine treatment.
    Given that amount of ammo why did you not claim against Pro 1, If I remember correctly when Fielies and Benson were demonstrating that product in my workshop they had some huge powerful warranty/ guarantee that they would repair any motor that failed whilst their product was in use.

I am once again convinced it was not Poly PTFE that was used I would like you to post the oil test results if you don't mind.

Take Care

http://www.overlandworx.com

Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)
    Peter Street

2013 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE 8sp AKA " Gr8 White Induna"
    2019 Disco 5 TD6 HSE AKA Disco V

Yeah, it may reduce the wear, but its probably just a matter of time, that's why I wondered whether it would be worth exploring putting new bearings in the motor as a preventative measure at say 150K, but I guess the costs are pretty prohibitive anyway, so maybe its not worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by tgwinduna View Post

Wollies
    I have a problem with your statement and you are misleading the use of Poly PTFE. When in fact according to your first post of the crank snapping you claimed to have used Pro1 .

Should I sell or keep - D3 engine failure
    Hi all,

Yes , another blooming D3 engine failure to the Landie family - crankshaft is shot.

I am not impressed as every step was taken to prevent engine failure (dreaded D3 reputation) like Pro1 , oil test , etc.

Only have 135k on the clock.

I am so gatvol and I am longing back to my Prado 4 days although my 12 year old D2 still going like a rocket......

Regards

That made me surprised when you first announced that your bearings had seized on your crank when the supposedly oil test was normal and you used Pro 1 engine treatment.
    Given that amount of ammo why did you not claim against Pro 1, If I remember correctly when Fielies and Benson were demonstrating that product in my workshop they had some huge powerful warranty/ guarantee that they would repair any motor that failed whilst their product was in use.

I am once again convinced it was not Poly PTFE that was used I would like you to post the oil test results if you don't mind.

Take Care
    +1

Peter and myself spent a lot of time investigating the reasons why TDV6 engines fail. Together with JB Engineering, one of the most respected motor engineering firms in Gauteng we set out to try and pinpoint the reasons why these engines failed.

There were some demonstrations done at Peter's place on various products to protect engines from premature wear.

From what I was able to gather, Poly-TFE was the only product that could not get the test rig to seize.

Wollies I can understand your frustrations, but to put wild statements out there, while at the same time not coming forward with what you actually dumped into that engine, is not helping the forum community who read these threads for getting more and usable information.

It is also completely unfair towards Peter of Landyworx and all the other indies using it in their workshops.

As distributor of Poly-TFE I refuse to get drawn into a "mine is better than yours" debate, but the mere fact that the distributor of Pro1 is using Poly-TFE in his Defender ...........
    Last edited by hgbosch; 2014/02/23 at 10:23 AM.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast