Connecting 3 batteries toghter

Default Connecting 3 batteries toghter

Hi I am wondering if their is anyone that can shed some light on the following for me.

I have a NL box with a deep cycle battery in the back of my bakkie. It shows that the battery is 80% full. I want to connect a high cycle battery to the NL box Deep cycle battery. I am going on a trip for 9 days to the Richtersveld and know from experience if my bakkie stands for 2 days the deep cycle runs down almost into the red. The NL powers the fridge and 2 lights.
    Will the 3d battery cause problems with the NL box. Will the alternator pack up or blow or something.
    I was going to connect the two batteries with normal battery cable and then add a bradharrison plug for quick release in case i need to charge the batteries when i get home.

Shane
    2700i Raider 4x4, Garmin 60cx, Fridge, Howling moon 1.4m jumbo tourer,
    Toyota corolla 1.6 plat kar

Shane

I have 4 batteries connected like that. Apparently it is not a good idea to do this on batteries that are not exactly the same age,type,make,amp. Should you be connecting the batteries like this it must only be connected when charging. Leaving them connected to use will eventually ruin one of the batteries prematurely. So the best for battery preservation is to link them when bakkie is running and then disconecting them from each other when stationery. You then use each battery seperately until flat and then switch to next battery and use that one. Do not leave them connected and then use them while linked. Having said that I have used it linked together permanently and had no problems except for the fact that apparently it shortened my battery lifespan.

I have only deepcycles linked like this so don't know what the effect would be on your setup and I don't have a NL box in my link so also don't know what the effect of that would be either.

Hope this helps.

For the best advice contact Renzo at www.bushpower.co.za

CATs
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

What you can do is at night unplug the fridge it get quite cool at night then your fridge will not run off and do not open it for long periods and reduce the frequency of opening the fridge, in the morning just plug it in again and it will run again and all your food will be ok. We did it on one trip in the Richtersveld. Your battery will last and no issues at all, but use the other battery as well it will assist the DC.
    "Ability is what gives you the opportunity belief is what gets you there"

David Maritz
    Triton - Barberian!

Shane

I am currently running 6 deep cycle batteries in parallel.
    2 are the standard 75Ah fitted to the commander and then I added 4 x 105Ah to the commander. Oh yes almost forgotten about the 1 x 75Ah fitted to the engine bay of the Disco.

Running this setup for almost a year without any problem.

For combining high cycle and deep cycle I can not comments
    D4 V8
    Live life on the edge... you get a better view !
    Disco 3 Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STt7DmJeeVc

Quote Originally Posted by TiaanS View Post
    Shane

I am currently running 6 deep cycle batteries in parallel.
    2 are the standard 75Ah fitted to the commander and then I added 4 x 105Ah to the commander. Oh yes almost forgotten about the 1 x 75Ah fitted to the engine bay of the Disco.

Running this setup for almost a year without any problem.

For combining high cycle and deep cycle I can not comments

quiet correct, you should have no problems, when doing the sound competitions, used to have 3 SETS of batteries, 7 batteries in total(the 7th was a 150A/H with the poles stinking out of each cell. 2 cells in series=4v, then in series with two parallel deep cycle batteries giving a overnight voltage of over 16V with a specially modified alternator(by me) charging at over 18V ) oh and then still had the original battery and alternator running at 14.5V under load.

the second alternator, when the sound system was fully operational would put enough load on the alternator, to pull the revs from 1500rpm to under 1000rpm.
    each amplifier was pushing out a TRUE 1800W, TRUE RMS(they were capable of more) not PMPO!!!

and still with that never had any problems, with batteries going down or any thing else. however all my batteries for the system were all the same,(same rating, same make, bought at similar time) and even then they were not all exactly the same.

if there is too much load on the alternator,the voltage will slowly decrease due to heat build up, however if out on the road, the batteries will charge and the alternator cool down and should run no problems.
    just beware of destroying fan belts, with too many flat batteries at once, did destroy a few belts(own fault, played system at a outdoor company braai, and time to leave forced the issue even though the belts were moaning )!!

had the system for about 3 years and had no problems!!!

good luck!!

Shane

Go to this thread for more on this subject: http://www.nissan4x4.co.za/forum/for...?TID=5005&PN=1

Regards

Malcolm
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)