Why burn tusks?

Thread: Why burn tusks?

Default Why burn tusks?

WHY? The elephants have lost their lives for this. Could these people not have sold the ivory and used the money for the conservation and protection of rhino's and elephants? What a shameful waste.

http://www.telegraaf.nl/buitenland/2...nietigd__.html . It is in Dutch, but most of you will get the drift.

The need for ivory in the world will never become less. Tusks will become less. These tusks could at least have filled a legal niche.
    Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2009

Know where you are going in life... you may already be there!

Want die omgewings vriendlikes wat die besluite neem verstaan nie dat geld WEL die wereld beheer nie!

AS n boer bv Renoster horings kan verkoop - dan is dit moesdie moeite werd om met hulle te teel en hulle op te pas - op die stadium is hulle n helse risiko! En hoe werk dit tans vir ons?
    Overkill - isn't!

beyond me too.

don't understand.

Yip....
    They burn the tusks because they believe that legal sales will fan the demand and mostly just to make a statement.

Customization and custom canvas work for any trailer, no matter the model or make.

Catch us on FaceBook!

Ultimate Overland - 4x4 Trailer Sales, Rental and Customization

Maybe somebody can answer me this question, which may help clear the confusion: Except for the emotional connection, what is the difference between a cow and an elephant?

Why can we farm with the one, and not the other?
    Overkill - isn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    Maybe somebody can answer me this question, which may help clear the confusion: Except for the emotional connection, what is the difference between a cow and an elephant?

elephants and Rhinos are endangered because people don't like shooting them.

Quote Originally Posted by JennyB View Post
    Yip....
    They burn the tusks because they believe that legal sales will fan the demand and mostly just to make a statement.
    It is an absolutely useless statement that they make. Will it ever stop the poaching? Never. Will a farmer that farms with Rhinos and Elephants, on a commercial scale look after his animals. Damn yes. Will a poacher suceed...I dont think so.

This is shortsightedness from bureaucrats.
    Sakkie van Staden
    Silver de Lange.2003 WJ Jeep..NOW powered by a 4L VVTI V8 Defy motor Forum Rebuild thread

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD Diesel power....4 inch Home build Long arm lift
    Past
    Jeep 3.1 Wj..AKA Turbo Esel (RIP)
    Man made it....Man Fix it.....
    I'm going to use all my tools, my God-given ability, and make the best life I can with it.
    LeBron James

Let's play devils advocate:
    What will happen if we negotiate with the East?
    We say to the Chinese and Vietnamese governments: Ok, you guys poached 1004 of our rhinos last year. This year we will sell you (for arguments sake) 1300 rhino horns at a relatively cheap price. The total poached rhinos this year will come off you quota for next year. You set the price and control the market from your end.
    How long do you think they would allow the black markets to flourish in their countries? I bet they'll go all out to wipe it out.

There is no way they are going to control the demand by burning stockpiles, or by banning the sale of horns. It's just a battle of wills.
    I still say that the legal sale of rhino horn will be our ace card. All will depend on how well it's played.

My concern is that they'll remain stuck in this battle of wills while the poaching figures keep on skyrocketing. Hopefully they'll catch a wake up before rhinos are properly on the brink of extinction because then they'll have absolutely no bargaining power.

We have a healthy elephant population. There are tons of ivory stockpiled, tons added per year from natural deaths.
    It would be put to better use.

Uys, it's an emotional answer. Animals should be free and... and...

Fact is and it's been proven that particularly white rhinos will do well and breed well in a farming environment. I don't really see much difference between a rhino farm and some sanctuaries we have at the moment.
    Animals in a restricted area, living a cushy life, offering their horns every 6 years to ensure the survival of their kind in the wild.
    Last edited by JennyB; 2014/02/06 at 10:39 PM.

Customization and custom canvas work for any trailer, no matter the model or make.

Catch us on FaceBook!

Ultimate Overland - 4x4 Trailer Sales, Rental and Customization