Aluminium frame for a canopy - strong enough ?

Question Aluminium frame for a canopy - strong enough ?

I've been a member for quite some time now and this is my first posting ! I really enjoy the reading and the entertainment.
    I'm looking at making (or have made is probably wiser) a custom design canopy for my 110 Defender. I've spoken to a couple of canopy guys and they reckon that aluminium is the way to go. My design makes the canopy quite high and there
    are a lot of windows (heavy). I'm sceptical about making the frame out of aluminium as it's more flexible than steel and therefore would fatigue and crack easier than a steel frame . . . right ? The panelling would all be aluminium.
    I'm worried about the strength of an aluminium frame. Anyone had any negative issues ? problems with roof-tents etc ? What about rust ?

Quote Originally Posted by Justintime View Post
    I've been a member for quite some time now and this is my first posting ! I really enjoy the reading and the entertainment.
    I'm looking at making (or have made is probably wiser) a custom design canopy for my 110 Defender. I've spoken to a couple of canopy guys and they reckon that aluminium is the way to go. My design makes the canopy quite high and there
    are a lot of windows (heavy). I'm sceptical about making the frame out of aluminium as it's more flexible than steel and therefore would fatigue and crack easier than a steel frame . . . right ? The panelling would all be aluminium.
    I'm worried about the strength of an aluminium frame. Anyone had any negative issues ? problems with roof-tents etc ? What about rust ?
    Go for Aluminiun no problem as long as the design is good.
    BlinkGat Products
    Manufacturing of Aluminium
    custom made Products
    Sarel 082 820 9413
    www.blinkgatproducts.com