Overland from Pta to Europa & Asia: Advice Please.

Default Overland from Pta to Europa & Asia: Advice Please.

Don't laugh but I must do this trip: All advice and suggestions on the best route etc. will be appreciated. See my daughter's proposal to het University in LA:
    I spoke to my father and he would definitely want to attributing the fund raiser towards our department. His idea is to travel overland from the most southern point of Africa north through Africa to Europe, east through Asia to the nearest point of entry into Alaska or Canada via Russia or Japan, then through North America all the way to Los Angeles in time for my Graduation in April 2015. He is currently arranging sponsorship in South Africa for the expedition and will be filming the entire journey and post it as an online series. The goal for this is to reach my graduation as well as gather scholarship funds for a future student. He doesn't have the funds to help me, but he has the experience and contacts to try and make a way to help another student in need.
    I will keep you posted regarding his progress. My father is an adventurer at heart and I would not be surprised if he pulls this off. He hasn't done a professional expedition in years and he has been looking for the right motivation for even longer. This could give us the opportunity to say thank you for everything the school and our department has done for me!
    I hope you like the idea
    See my blog for more details:
    http://overland-pretoria-to-los-angeles.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by johnking; 2014/02/01 at 02:00 PM. Reason: To ad more info

Subscribed 😄

What an adventure

As a starting point I suggest you check out www.africa-overland.net. This is a portal for websites of people who are currently doing similar journeys and you'll pick up a lot of info. First thing that strikes me though is that you will have to get your skates on if you want to cover all that ground before April 2015. It would be a lot more realistic to go to Europe and then ship across the Atlantic rather than traveling east. Most people would take a couple of years planning a genuine RTW by car.

All the best.

Thank you for the advice. I will look at the website. The reason to travel east is to travel around the world and film the trip (a sort of reality show). My plan is to leave around June, hoping to do the trip in 10 months. It will be more of an expedition without any sightseeing. The shortest and fastest route around the world. "Man travels around the world by car to be present at his daughter's graduation"
    Maybe it sounds silly but I think I can do it? Im just waiting for the promised sponsors to confirm then things can be finalized.

Sure John - I don't doubt it's possible (most things are!). It's just that's that's where some of the more challenging logistics lie (and with that the expense). But if that's the purpose of the trip...

May also be worth dropping the (UK) Royal Geographical Society a line. They have an expedition planning and logistics arm. I know they advise BBC film expeditions etc. They often have a stand at public events here in the UK and as far as I recall offer some free planning assistance. They may at least give you a few pointers.

Www.rgs.org

Also stating the obvious but as I'm sure you're aware camera equipment is quite sensitive in many places. There have been a few instances in Egypt recently of stuff like Go-pro leading to spying allegations and deportation.

Best of lluck with it all.

Thank you once again for your advice and input into this crazy idea. All your comments are really appreciated. The thing is, I don’t want to do this trip, I must do this trip! Why? I made a commitment to myself and my daughter, who against all odds acquired a scholarship at one of the most prestige university’s in the USA to do her Masters degree. A first for a South African. She is currently doing very well while she still have to work part time at the university to pay for her daily living expenses.
    I promised her, even before she got her scholarship, that I will attent her graduation, but that I will travel there, around the world, with the old 1983 family vehicle, a Datsun Safari SW.
    Since she has kept her side of the bargain, its now my turn to perform. Obviously the overland vehicle, the Datsun, wont do and it will have make place for a new Toyota Land Cruiser.
    I realize time is not on my side, but she even offered to extend her studies to coincide with my arrival in LA maybe a year later.
    She is so exited about the idea that she has convinced the university to endorse the expedition. They promising to assist where they can in the adventure. The last obstacle is to acquire a TV or broadcast network to invest in this silly idea. Currently we are in talks with a well-known online American network company, to help with the funding of the expedition, who wil broadcast the adventure as it happens. (Every week the video footage will be sent to them so it can be broadcasted the next week. A sort of reality show as I have mentioned.)
    I have traveled Africa, south of the equator, many times and have produced video’s or travel guides on some of these country’s. See http://www.youtube.com/user/johnking1954 . So, Im not totally a novice, and if another old man like Kingsley Holgate can travel around Africa just to give away mosquito nets Im sure I can travel around the world to raise funds for a new promising South African student to also go and study in USA. Wish me luck, I need it. I will keep you posted on my progress, if any.
    Regards. John.

When it comes down to it all you REALLY need is the will to do it and the ability to adapt to whatever comes your way. And it sounds as though you have those.

One other suggestion - if you haven't already done so get yourself onto the HUBB (google Horizons Unlimited) it's a worldwide independent travel community/forum primarily made up of bikers, but tolerant of those that prefer 4 wheels. It has huge reach and is a massive repository of knowledge and experience. Make some contacts in the areas you' ll be going through. They may be invaluable further down the road, whether it's a contact for parts or a friendly face and company for a day or two.

Off on a trip myself tomorrow (Morocco and the Western Sahara for a couple of months). Good luck with the planning.

Best of luck! At least you will be doing it in the right vehicle.

2012 Sport FJ Cruiser "Black&White RiceBowl"
    1986 Hilux DC 4x4 "White RiceBowl"

Agteros - you should stick to your rice bowls! - HGBosch

Quote Originally Posted by Agteros View Post
    Best of luck! At least you will be doing it in the right vehicle.
    I was thinking about volunteering, until I saw what vehicle was going to be used Can't risk letting people I know see me in one

Jokes aside, this is a great idea, but have many challenges and to do it by mid June 2015 is really cutting it fine. You will run into all sorts of issues with visas and to cross Asia the only viable route is through Russia, as you will not be able to get a car into Mongolia or China. I wouldn't want to be in a car in winter in that part of the woods. And winter only abates for a few months per year.
    camelman
    '04 Discovery II Td5 GS (using 2SO)
    '95 Discovery I V8i Auto (Now sadly sold, with fond memories)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called "present".

Well what a trip. I agree with Itchyfeet, its probably possible but it would be a hell of a rush. The planning alone takes a long time and if you have any problems it will put so much pressure on the trip.
    Good luck we. will watch your progress but consider seriously breaking the trip up into stages to revisit at a future date so you can enjoy it rather than endure it.

Living in Spain, dreaming of Africa
    Overland U.K. to Cape Town 2011/12
    Nam/Bots/S.Africa Sep/Dec 2013
    S.Africa feb 2015
    Namibia Sep/Oct 2015
    Defender TD5 csw 2006
    Defender 300tdi csw 1994