Beach Cleanup - Southern Moz April 2014

Default Beach Cleanup - Southern Moz April 2014

2 years ago I started organizing an annual beach cleanup for the PPMR (Ponta Do Ouro partial Marine Reserve) in Southern Mozambique. This is done in September every year, to co-incide with world ocean day.

However, on a recent visit to the Park, it was obvious that once a year is not enough, and the Park manager had asked if I can look at doing a second cleanup each year. We decide April will be a good time, just before the easter break.

The september cleanup has been done as a Land Rover Owners Club Event, but it is always difficult to get enough guys with bakkies to attend this event, and I would therefore like to open the April cleanup to the public on this forum.

The event is also doubled up as a small fund raiser to help contribute to the community turtle monitors that are employed by the park during the turtle nesting season.

The details:

Date: 10 to 14 April 2014

Travel arrangements - meet in Ponta do Ouro on the afternoon of the 10th (convoy can be arranged from gauteng) spend the night in Ponta. Early the next morning, we will go out on an ocean safari (dolphin encounter) boat trip, before driving out of ponta to make camp at Milibangala, which will be our base for the cleanup. In the afternoon the cleanup will start. Group will be divided up, and each team allocate a section of beach to work. You will drive to your point, collect as much trash as you can, load it up and bring it back to camp. Here it will be sorted, and then at the end of the stay, taken to a recycling point in Ponta do Ouro.

Cost: R2500.00 pp (includes park entry, camp fees, dolphin encounter, dinner and breakfast for the entire trip, and a contribution towards paying Salaries of the community turtle monitors that the park employs between October and February each year.)

What you need to bring: A suitable 4x4 vehicle (preferably a bakkie or d/cab), tent and sleeping gear, gloves, 2 rolls of heavy duty garbage bags, and what ever else you would normally pack for the beach.

We normally have 3 to 4 hours of window between the tides to be out on the beach with the vehicles, so there is plenty of time to relax as well, so feel free to pack snorkelling gear or fishing tackle.

We are hoping for a group of 12 to 16 people, or 6 to 8 vehicles. Lets do this.

Bump

Well done on starting and maintaining this initiative, have put it into the mix to see if we can make it.

Great Richard,

Waiting to hear if you can make it. Any others keen?

Moved this to the environmental section, as I thought it might be better suited here.

Great initiative, well done!

But why before the easter break? You would have just cleaned everything and then the crowds will be there the next week and bugger everything up again?

Why not after the crowds?
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8

It is actually the rubbish that washes up from the sea that we are cleaning up. This area doesn't really see great big crowds of people. Around Ponta town, the tourism operators do a cleanup of the beach there, and that is mostly stuff left behind by inconsiderate holiday makers.

The issue is the beaches are currently in a bad state, and would be great to get them clean before the Easter break

Quote Originally Posted by TaunB View Post
    It is actually the rubbish that washes up from the sea that we are cleaning up. This area doesn't really see great big crowds of people. Around Ponta town, the tourism operators do a cleanup of the beach there, and that is mostly stuff left behind by inconsiderate holiday makers.

The issue is the beaches are currently in a bad state, and would be great to get them clean before the Easter break

Aha, ok, that makes more sense to me now. Thanks for that!
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8

Glad I could clear that up. So are you in Graham?

Quote Originally Posted by TaunB View Post
    Glad I could clear that up. So are you in Graham?
    Thats a week before my wedding. I doubt the boss will allow me to go playing with the 4x4 then!
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8

Hi I am currently restoring a 1980 Rangie classic, hope to be finished by early march, would be a great trip to test it out, so please keep the info coming as to availability of space left as i would be very interested
    Thanks
    Colin
    '80 Range Rover Classic
    MBOZA Jeep:4x4
    35" Maxiss Bighorn
    Custom Roofrack and drawer system

Default Beach clean up

When is the next time something like this is happening
    Isuzu KB 250 4x4 D-teq OME suspension

Quote Originally Posted by bokvirsports View Post
    When is the next time something like this is happening
    If you do a bit of a search on the original poster, you will find he is no longer (supposedly) in the tourism business after an unfortunate mess up with forum members.