Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Nice going Thimba. Do keep us updated. Safe travels!
    Gambit: MY07 D3 TDV6 HSE
    It's the small things in life that matter

Quote Originally Posted by SolPlaatje View Post
    Nice going Thimba. Do keep us updated. Safe travels!
    Thanks very much! I certainly will!

Happy travels,

Gee

Default Into Guinea-Bissau

One checkpoint gets really nasty, however. The "red-eyed team": you never know how they will react when they're on drugs!. It's five of them, and it's as if they're ticking the boxes: what can we find wrong? Have I got a fire extinguisher (I show them), Do my lights work (they do), what's in that box? (my toothbrush, shampoo, etc). "I want your shampoo", says one. I point at my crew cut and explain that I need that myself (not very convincing, but it works). A triangle. Ouch, that's in the alu box on top of the roof rack, but I'm more than happy to climb on it, open the box and show it to them. "You need two triangles!", another one says. I put my triangle back in the alu box, pull it out again, and say: "And here's the second one!". I get a thumbs up. They are really impressed; everything is there and works. We say goodbye in a cheerful way, and I'm glad to be past this one!

More on: Travels with Thimba
    Last edited by Thimba; 2014/02/28 at 11:31 PM.

They want to be cheated their own way, good you have time at your hands as this is the best medicine in Africa.
    Happy travels!
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

[QUOTE=Kalahari Safari;2125291 good you have time at your hands as this is the best medicine in Africa.
    Happy travels![/QUOTE]

So true!

Cheers,

Gee

Default When the going gets rough: the Fouta Djalon Mountains Guinea

After all the carnival festivities, which culminated in the big parade yesterday, the city is very quiet early in the morning at 7.30. I'm heading for the Fouta Djalon mountains, together with my German friends Max, Martin and Philipp in their beautiful Mitsubishi 4x4 campervan. The first part towards Guda is pretty easy. Some checkpoints, but without exception very friendly. Some of them not even wanting to see any papers, just a chat. The border crossing between Guinea Bissau and Guinea Conakry is also hassle free and relaxed. For the first time the douane officer wants to see Thimba's documents. When he studies Thimba's passport he wants to know why it hasn't been stamped when entering Guinea Bissau in Sao Domingo. I say they weren't really interested. He remains a bit suspicious, but after some hesitation hands me back the documents and advises me to "present" the dog for inspection at all borders! So a bit further down the road, at the Conakry douane, I "present" Thimba to the officer by pointing at her (she's lying next to the car in the shade), asking whether he wants to check her papers. He looks through the window, then at me as if I have just made him an indecent proposal, and says: "C'est pas nécessaire!".

Default Never lose your temper with a policeman!

sunset in Robertsport, Liberia

“Your driver’s license has expired!”
    Driving into Monrovia the next day to pick up my Ghana visa, I am stopped by a traffic policeman who wants to check my driver’s license. No problem.
    “Expired!”, he says.
    ”Impossible”, I answer. Wrong answer. At least that’s how it must have sounded to him. Perhaps it is my tone when I explain the difference between date of issue and expiry date. After having checked my fire extinguisher and triangle he wants to see the documents for the car. It is then that I’m starting to lose my temper (never, ever lose your temper with a policeman: you’ll only make things worse!). He has never seen a Carnet before and doesn’t accept it. I show him it was stamped and signed when I entered Liberia on the 16th of March.
    “How many days!”, he barks.
    “For as long I want, it’s valid for a year!”, I try.

Default A bit of R&R in Ghana

Fishermen preparing their boat. Kokrobite, Ghana

The veterinary inspector
    After spending some days at the beach at Ivory Coast’s Grand Bassam, near Abidjan, I headed for Ghana. The road from Grand Bassam is good with heavy traffic and suicidal drivers. I’m taking it easy and stay behind a truck as much as possible.
    The Ivory Coast border formalities begin surprisingly easy. The place is crowded with people, coaches have just unloaded their passengers to cross into Ghana. Everywhere people sit with their luggage, a lot of shouting, the beginning of a fight in a small group of men (why is it always men?). A policeman almost literally takes me by the hand and guides me along the desks to stamp my passport and Carnet. What a great service, especially since you wouldn’t know where to start looking. The immigration officer is sitting outside, with just a small desk, a chair and his stamp. The douane colonel (it says so on his impressive uniform) is two floors up in an AC room, and the policeman gently knocks on the door and salutes when he enters. Easy and efficient procedure.
    And then they see Thimba in the car!

Last edited by Thimba; 2014/04/06 at 10:28 PM.

Default Is this Nigeria?

Siësta, Grand Popo, Benin

“Is this Nigeria?”
    From Big Milly’s in Accra it’s only a three to four hours drive to Lomé in Togo. Good roads, it’s Saturday so less traffic, and the Ghana-Togo border crossing should be a walk in the park! And with this mood I put Thimba in the front of the car, lower her window, open the ventilations flaps, turn on her fan, and hit the road. She lies down as soon we start off and looks at me as if to say “It’s a breeze!”. To get out of Accra takes me more than an hour in heavy traffic. After Tema there’s a complete stand still and it takes me three hours to cover 35 km. Not a good start of the day. At Segakofe, just before the border, a checkpoint. Now, It’s not my intention to give you a full account of all checkpoints; that would be very boring. However, some of them stand out in the way you are shamelessly extorted.

Default From Benin into Nigeria

Baby chimp. Afi Mountain Reserve, Nigeria

In 2006 the BBC reported that Nigerian politicians had syphoned off or wasted $ 380 billion, more than the combined aid given to the whole of Africa in the last 40 years (from blog Indlovu). And it is with mixed feelings of anticipation that I leave Abomey for the Nigerian border. Too many negative travellers’ accounts, too many checkpoints, too much hassle and extortion. I have stocked up on diesel (sometimes hard to get in oil-rich Nigeria!?) and dollars. And I’m taking a quiet border crossing from Ketou in Benin to Abeokuta in Nigeria.

Default Fried rat and deep waterholes

A bogged down truck blocking the road. Congo

Some serious off-road driving in Congo
    After the border at Ndendé the piste offers new off-road challenges: mud and very deep waterholes, filled to the brim after heavy rainfall. It’s impossible to know the depth of these holes, and in some of them the Land Rover nose-dives so deep that the water flows over the bonnet and reaches the front window. It’s incredible how capable the car is in these circumstances (and with an experienced driver, of course, ahum..).

And then I make a beginner’s mistake. I stay in some ruts too long, they get deeper and deeper. I know I should stop, reverse, and continue on the shoulders, but I think I can just make it, accellerate some more to keep momentum, and the rear differential buries itself deeply in the hard, crusted earth. Complete standstill. All four wheels are free and I try to see if I can negotiate myself out of this, but there is no way out of this but the dirty way: jacking and shovelling. I use the Hi-Lift to jack up one side of the car when a young man on a moped stops and starts to dig out the differential, lying under the car in the mud. After half an hour he has removed enough earth, I lower the car and manage to reverse the car out of the ruts.

Quote Originally Posted by maxibelgium View Post
    Pintje? Nen echte duvel als je hier geraakt en doggie een hamburger
    Hi Ronald,

Je hoeft de Duvelkes nog niet koud te zetten, maar ben al wel in Namibia. Daar ga ik de komende paar maanden samen met een van mijn dochters en mijn vrouw rondtrekken. En mijn hond, Thimba, uiteraard,
    Ik denk zo rond half augustus in Cape Town te zijn. Kan ik mijn Landy in je tuin parkeren, onder het genot van Duvel?

Cheers,

Gee

Congratz! Fantastisch dat je trip zo goed verlopen is...
    Nu in europa, vanaf 5 okt terug in hermanus...ben je dan nog in de omgeving? Vertrek zel eind okt (zonder hond) naar botsw en zimb. Laat wat weten!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2