Drakensberg drives in November 2014 - suggestions needed

Post Drakensberg drives in November 2014 - suggestions needed

Hello, I will be returning to RSA after 15 years away to introduce my wife to the country. When I lived in Durban I enjoyed some excellent outings in the Drakensberg but didn't own a 4x4 at the time. This time I am planning for about 4 days in the Drakensberg and will have a 4x4. I'd like to spend a night or two in the National Park. I'd be grateful for some suggestions on nearby trails that would make for good one-day outings, possibly involving bird watching or hiking. The more scenic the better. I searched the archives on this forum and nothing turned up for what I had in mind. If there is a good trail resource elsewhere on the internet please post a link. Cheers.

No suggestions? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Hi,

I don't know of any routes but I drove around Cathkin Peak area on dirt roads, and the area is very scenic. Falcon Ridge Bird of Prey Centre is just before Champagne Castle, I hear it is well worth visiting. I will visit between 5-10 Mar when I will be at Dragon Peaks resort. Drakensburg Boys Choir on the same premises.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

The best way to the top of the Berg is through Witsieshoek. Easy drive from the Witsieshoek hotel to the Sentinel car park and from there it an easy day walk via the chain ladders to the top of the Tugela Falls. Another option since you have a 4x4 is to explore the southern Drakensberg and head up Sani Pass.

We just spent 4 nights at Ingwe cabin. 2 Bedroomed wooden cabin with everything you could want @ R700.00 per night. Need a 4x4 to get there and once there amazing hikes and great birding. Really nice, spotless place.

Thanks for the suggestions. I might pass on Sani Pass having already been there. This time through I'm keen to see new (to me) areas. I like the sound of the Ingwe cabin, walks and birding sound perfect. RobbieF, if you post a trip report after your Dragons Peak visit I would be keen to read it. Cheers.