New here and looking at buying a Range Rover (Don't laugh!)

Default New here and looking at buying a Range Rover (Don't laugh!)

Hi guys

New to the forum. I was hoping someone here could give advice on this.

I'm looking at getting a used Range Rover. 2005/2006 seems to fit my budget.
    So questions:
    - 2,9l TD6 or 3,7 DTV8?
    - Are the really as unreliable as the stories say?
    - How much does a service cost?

Once I've seen the figures you guys propose, I'm guessing I'm going to put this idea down and just walk away

Thanks

They are lovely cars but the maintenance is high. As its been said before.....do not think just because you can get these R1 000 000 cars for a few hundred thousand Rand you will just get in and drive for ever.....they cost a lot to maintain.

Look on www.rangerovers.net They have an extensive "look before you buy" for each model and probably the most extensive advice you will ever find on RR's. There are also A LOT of info on each models' most well know issues and the fixes available.

That said the v8 2005-onwards L322 is very solid and most issues have been sorted since the first 2003/2004 models with all their problems. The 2003/04 models used the BMW engine while the 2005-pnwards models used the Jaguar engines.

It is the small things that will get to you.....the stuck open sun roof when it rains (and it will work 100% as soon as you arive home soaking wet....), the central locking that is bust, the fuel filler cap that won't open at the garage, the cup uolders that keep popping out, etc, etc.....(ask me, I know.....).

But if you are happy to spend a few bucks on those niggles every now and then, you won't find a better car!!!!!

Services are as for any petrol car....filters, oils, plugs. As long as you do not service at the dealers it will be cheap.

Welcome to the family, speak to Adrian (Range Rover on the forum) he restored Rachel and can tell you all the ins and outs.

Here is his website on the project www.1971rangerover.co.za

Garrie
    Defender 110 TD5 CSW 18P loving every moment driving it !!!!!
    Suzuki Jimny with custom made rack and drawers view here - Sold
    Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution...

I have a 2005 V8 face lift model. Had it for 3 years with not a single problem. It is a great car and it is for sale.
    Last edited by Beesblaas; 2014/01/18 at 09:05 PM.
    Range Rover 4.4 V8
    Audi SQ5 Tdi
    Defender 90 2.8i
    Audi A3T

Thanks so much guys! Will check out the links you've given!

[Close]

@Paganlace. I am driving the 2004 model with BMW 4.4 v8 motor and ZF 5-speed gearbox. Just did over 5000kms travel through Botswana, Namibia and South Africa - only problem we had was a puncture. this included about 1500kms gravel road. The car did not miss a beat.

This car was so comfortable that after spending about 10 hours behind the wheel I had no back ache and also did not feel like I've done the 10 hours driving. My friend who was in a Touareg complained about back ache.

Maintenance and repair costs are similar to that on my Disco3 V8, albeit that some of the parts are dealer only and thus command a higher price than would have been from independent spare shops. However, one can easily import those parts at a fraction of the cost of the dealers.

Best things to do are to get a decent aftermarket warranty when you buy the car and get a good indie to work on the car.

My last service which was at about 212000kms came to R3,000, it included spark plugs and synthetic oil, etc. Btw the car currently has about 223000kms on the clock.

Only reason I will sell mine is when I buy a later (2010>) model.

Another good website is www.fullfatrr.com

2007 Disco3 (SWAMBO)
    2004 Merc platkar (SWAMBO) - no more
    gti-eater (opel gte)