Best AT Tyres for Freelander 2?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Drive-out Guest

Default Best AT Tyres for Freelander 2?

I am browsing around for some info regarding the right tyres to be used on our Freelander 2. The standard Conti's do not last 30,000 kms if you drive some distances on gravel and even if one drives mostly on tar, they battle to last 35,000 kms. I have done approx. 180,000 kms with two models, so I am speaking from experience. The required size is 135/60 R18 and we nowadays travel 80% (rural) tar (not highways) and 20% gravel. Any suggestions?

Drive-out Guest

The available choices seem to be BF Goodridge, another kind of Continental AT tyre (not the standard spec), Yokahama (I used a set of their Geolander AT's on our previous model which outlasted the Conti's by quite a margin) as well as Pirelli's.
    Last edited by Drive-out; 2014/01/17 at 01:18 PM.

I'm very happy with my Yokohama Geolander ATS's but it is the 235x65x17's for the 2007 Freelander 2. Prefer them to my previous set of Perelli Scorpions - less noise.

Drive-out Guest

Thanks for the input! I was considering the Pirelli's, but given the fact that I also had a good experience with the previous model's (also 17") Geolanders, I am in favour of using them again. It looks like they are available in the required size and as far as I remember, they are reasonably affordable. The BF's have such a good track record though and given the fact that they are one of the available 18" options, I intend to compare the prices and to base my decision on that.

Having had a couple sets of GOODYEAR AT/SA on my previous Disco 2, I chose them again on my FL 2 , I have the 235x65-17" and im very happy with them in all conditions. I got 60 000km's with them on my Disco so I expect to get more on my Freelander. At the price of 2k per tyre I think they are a good buy.

Name:  FL2GY.jpg
Views: 6505
Size:  143.6 KB
    2011 FREELANDER 2 SD4 S
    ex - 2004 DISCO TD5 GS Auto
    ex - 1997 DISCO Tdi

Drive-out Guest

Goodyear only has the HP option available in the 18" size, which is not really an AT tyre but a SUV tyre best suited for highways.

You can also look at General Grabbers A/T.Not sure if they make them in your size
    Regards,
    Frans
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

Quote Originally Posted by Drive-out View Post
    Goodyear only has the HP option available in the 18" size, which is not really an AT tyre but a SUV tyre best suited for highways.

Stay Away!!

As reported before by myself and some Discovery owners, these tyres tend to wear unevenly in the sense that the tread blocks develop a heel/toe height difference, resulting in an unbearable whining noise.

It makes a Freelander 2 sound like a Defender .

Althought the tire wears evenly across the width, you have to grit your teeth from 30000kms onwards as soon as you drive on smooth tar. But perhaps I am just being sensitive.....

The Goodyear AT/SAs do not do this.

My first choice would be Pirelli Scorpions, but in 18" size, they unfortunately trade for more than R3000/tyre last time I looked. Around 50 - 75% more expensive than the 17" - with less rubber.

Second choice the Geolandars, but they were out of stock when I replaced, so I went with Hankook RA23s.

Almost exclusively a road-based tyre, but quiet, good grip, has already 42000km on with very even wear and no punctures to date. Should get close to 60000km on them.

Excellent on sand when deflated slightly. Normally 1.8bar, or if the sand is very loose, 1.2 bar. I easily did Die Plaat to Voorste Klip (Hermanus) over December. My son - on his first-time sand drive attempt - could get the car out on the way back.

I've done gravel trails also, and for what I want to do - e.g. De Wildt - they're fine.

If you need something more agressive, also look at Hankook's other tyres.
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JJJ For This Useful Post:

Drive-out Guest

Thanx JJJ. Your experiences with the Goodyear HP's sound (no pun intended) very similar to what my Conti's sound like at the moment. And that is my concern with High Performance (HP) tyres on an all-wheel drive SUV, especially if you use them on uneven or semi rough terrains every now and again. I had a quick look at Hankook and they do supply the RA23's in 18". I noted that they are also rated as HP though, but it would seem from what you were saying that they do just fine in an All Terrain application.
    Last edited by Drive-out; 2014/01/17 at 11:31 AM.

Drive-out Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoFrans View Post
    You can also look at General Grabbers A/T.Not sure if they make them in your size
    Regards,
    Frans
    Hi Frans,

I missed them before as TWT only listed the AW as a 4x4 tyre (which is only available in a 16"). The Grabber AT is however available in 18" and is without doubt an AT tyre, not a passenger tyre as listed by TWT. So thanks for the info & cheers.

Drive-out Guest

Goodness me, I have since realised that an AT tyre in 235/60 R18 is really, really difficult to find. No BF's, no Yokahama Geolandars, no Goodyear AT's & no Grabber ATs. The Hankook RF10 seems to be the only true AT in this size. The irony of it is that according to both TWT and Hankook's web sites the RF10 is not suppose to be available in 18" while I have since heard from two dealers who do have it available in this size. Based on its specs this seems to be the best (if not the only) option in a true AT format. And you get a 80,000 km warranty on it, which is nice to know after the Conti's poor durability.
    Last edited by Drive-out; 2014/01/17 at 04:51 PM.

I have the Pirelli Scorpions, albeit in the 19" size, and find them fantastic over the Conti HP's i removed...

I was looking at Cooper LTZ Zeon's but the Scorpions fell in my lap (read: I found what i wanted) when i got a set of a great price!
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - Lots of Mods(check thread) - [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

Tiger wheel sold my dad a set of Hankook Dynapro ATM in that size, so far he is very happy with them. The price was about R2600 a tyre after negotiating. They were bought in PE by the way.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

15. The Following User Says Thank You to KurtG For This Useful Post:

Drive-out Guest

I got them (Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10's) at just under R2,100 each (incl VAT) from a distributor in Rustenburg that I always buy from... These guys always seem to beat the best prices that are on offer anywhere else... Happy to get some positive feedback from you re the tyres, thanks!
    Last edited by Drive-out; 2014/01/17 at 04:54 PM.

I have them on my Pajero and so far I am very happy, you won't be sorry
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Yep, 235/60/R18 tyres are hideously difficult to find. I'm surprised you actually found AT tyres in that size, even normal tyres are scarce. I ended up buying new rims for my GV. Had I known those Dynapros were available I might have gone with those!

Yes indeed I was just as surprised when my father told me twt had the Hankooks in his size. He got them in December and last week took them on a small trip, he says they are much quieter than the (smooth) Goodyear HP he replaced. He only got about 45,000km with the GY which is low for an all wheel drive diesel (yes it does have high torque I guess). I'm very interested to see how the Hankooks compare in terms of mileage.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

20. The Following User Says Thank You to KurtG For This Useful Post:

Honestly have to admit that the Hankook RF10's are the best tyres we have run on the Hardbody (slightly different dynamics to an SUV, i know). They have about 35k-40k on them and look like we just bought them... so i can easily see them doing the promised 80k

Excellent grip in the dry and amazing grip in the Wet... did a 3500km trip around Namibia (80% gravel roads) and at the right pressure (1.6 bar) they impressed also.

As soon as the GY HP on the Navara are done, we'll replace with them with RF10's too.

Many greetings from a rainy Namibia!

Drive-out Guest

Thanks for the feedback and I am happy to hear such positive things about these tyres. I normally retain a 2 bar pressure on my tyres in stead of the 2.2 bar specified by the vehicle spec's. I found the latter far too harsh on rural tar and gravel roads. Whenever I have to travel longer distances on gravel, I normally deflate them to 1.8 bar. It seems like you prefer 1.6 bar on gravel and coming from a Namibian who should be use to travelling long distances on gravel, it is worth considering it.
    Last edited by Drive-out; 2014/01/20 at 03:55 PM.

Default Freelander 2 Tyre options July 2015

Hi All,

I'm new to all wheel drive vehicles and forum posting so please bear with me. I know this an old post put hoping to revive it as I have the same problem.

Bought a 2010 Freelander 2 Td4 for the wife in March this year. Tyres weren't great but expected them to last longer than they have. Also ended up with a whining noise - not sure if it's due to remap or poor tyre rotation (put the two good tyres at the front for a while until I learnt that the better ones should be at the back). But that's an enquiry for another post.

Have been looking around for 235/60 R18 and they're pretty difficult to come by and more expensive than I realized.

Have narrowed it down to the following:

Dunlop Grandtek AT3 - R2,500
    Goodyear Wrangler AT/R - R2,800
    Yokohama Geolander G055 h/TS - R2,750
    Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 - R2,800

Primarily road driving, but also a bit of dirt during holidays. Looking to possibly make a trip to Mozambique or Botswana later this year so want a tyre that will be suitable.

Comments appreciated.

Regards.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to avinh For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast