De-Cat

Thread: De-Cat

Default De-Cat

I De-catted my 05 ML270 (W163) a few years ago with very satisfactory results, there was improved performance and the fuel consumption went down. I'm averaging around 8.8 - 9.0 L/100kms (11.3 - 11.1 km/l) and that's with a heavy foot.
    I recently purchased an 04 E270cdi (W211) because I was so satisfied with the performance and reliability of the ML's motor. I do all the servicing and repairs myself and am also happy with the reasonable cost of spares for both vehicles, and this is from MB themselves. (Pirate spares tend to be slightly more expensive for diesel, air and oil filters.) This weekend I decided to De-cat the E270, and am very happy with the outcome - lots more performance and I'm hoping the consumption will also improve. I was getting around 12.5km/L (8L/100kms) before the De-cat. BTW I started using 2SO in both vehicles after researching on this forum and on other local and overseas forums. I think the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages, and this was another reason for deciding to De-cat, as I also think its unhealthy to run with 2SO whilst having a Cat. You will notice from the attached photo's that i didn't delete the cat completely, just De-gutted it by hammering out the ceramic type material. (apparently its very poisonous, so great care must be exercised when undertaking a job like this, and disposing of the waste material.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cat 3.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	256757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cat 2.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	256758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cat 1.jpg 
Views:	588 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	256759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cat 6.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	256760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cat 4.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	158.2 KB 
ID:	256761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cat 7.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	256762  
    Last edited by mrwhattie; 2014/01/06 at 10:08 AM.

yep de-catting improves the ride , but then one feels guilty when it hails tennis balls or the US freezes in summer and one is reminded of its impact on the environment.

:-)
    2011 Amarok TDI D/Cab 4x2
    2001 Isuzu KB 320 V6 D/Cab 4x2

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an expert in the subject posted about above, i'm a member of an internet forum only and my comments, advise, suggestions and ideas should be taken from that point of view

Check out these 2 links - very interesting!

http://www.longlife.co.uk/blog/index...-need-to-know/

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...-fix-ulsd.html

(please read the part about the measured cloud effect of a diesel engine using 2SO)

Quote Originally Posted by LeonP View Post
    yep de-catting improves the ride , but then one feels guilty when it hails tennis balls or the US freezes in summer and one is reminded of its impact on the environment.

Why would you feel guilty about prolonging the life of a car that might otherwise be relegated to the scrap heap?

What pollution is caused in the manufacture of these these devices and mining these materials? You are just moving the pollution somewhere else. Great for when you live in confined spaces in Europe and city pollution is an issue. We live in a 3rd world country with 3rd world problems. Fitting CATs and DPFs belongs in the 1st world IMO. It's also a great way for 1st world countries to move pollution to the 3rd world countries where these resources often come from!
    Last edited by munga; 2014/01/06 at 03:12 PM.

I still need to De-cat my 2,2lt Puma, I asked at a tire and exhaust shop before the holidays and the guy was not to keen on doing it.................will do it myself then!
    Johan De Graaf
    2019 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 2.0 Biturbo 4x2 D/C
    2013 Range Rover e-vogue HSE Dynamic SD4
    2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8

Default Re: De-Cat

Hi i know its a old thread but would like to find out how easy it is to take the cat out. And if i have to cut it open to get the stuff out etc. Its for a ML 270 Cdi.
    Volkswagen Jetta 1.9 Tdi, 2002
    Isuzu KB 250 Dle, LWB, 1999

I'm sure they all the same, I removed the exhaust section where the cat was situated and took a iron rod and basically smash it out until all the pieces and dust had fallen out. Pretty simple to do.

That was on my fortuner, on my isuzu I just had the whole exhaust removed and fitted a straight down pipe in its place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Madsen View Post
    I'm sure they all the same, I removed the exhaust section where the cat was situated and took a iron rod and basically smash it out until all the pieces and dust had fallen out. Pretty simple to do.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonP View Post

Yeah, though they run on ULSD (lower than 15ppm), not the dirty shait we get here that blocks the CAT...
    Last edited by Allegro; 2019/11/15 at 06:12 AM.

"A day without laughter is a day wasted"
    M.Benz GL350CDi Be AMG 8) AKA "worshond"
    KTM 1190R Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Madsen View Post
    Thanks, i did it yesterday. Easy peasy.
    Volkswagen Jetta 1.9 Tdi, 2002
    Isuzu KB 250 Dle, LWB, 1999