were to get a keg for home brewing





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boksburg
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,372
    Thanked: 5

    Default were to get a keg for home brewing

    does anyone know were sells kegs ? so i can put my home brew in to gas it and then obviously dispense it ? ... i saw these corny kegs ,, they pricey though, R1800, they fit easily in the fridge though, i assume the sab ones are more complicated to gas yourself , or not really ? maybe buy a 30l sab one , drink the beer and tell them to keep the deposit
    Kb300 Dtec 4x4 ...let the mods begin
    2003 Kb300Tdi d/c lx 4x4 - sold
    GP0274 batmandiver




  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Daar by die gat,in die NK
    Posts
    4,901
    Thanked: 57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by batman diver View Post
    does anyone know were sells kegs ? so i can put my home brew in to gas it and then obviously dispense it ? ... i saw these corny kegs ,, they pricey though, R1800, they fit easily in the fridge though, i assume the sab ones are more complicated to gas yourself , or not really ? maybe buy a 30l sab one , drink the beer and tell them to keep the deposit
    Hulle is so skaars soos hoender tande, ek het 3 gekry by 'n vriend se vriend se Pa se vriend wat werk by Namib brewery's

    Ek dink jou plan met die bier uitdrink en hou is goed.

    Blykbaar in Amerika is dit so vollop, dit is hoekom al hulle "brew rigs" gemaak is van kegs. Miskien moet ons paar invoer
    No one ever ruined their eyesight by looking at the BRIGHT side!!
    Ford Ranger 4l 4x4
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan King Cab (aka Navara )
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
    Albert Einstein

    Whoooopa 3 The Goat strike back


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqw5...ature=youtu.be

    Another teazer.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51KljMSXOnI




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boksburg
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,037
    Thanked: 6

    Default

    Problem is ....where do we buy a 30l keg from ?
    Are the public allowed to buy from SAB directly ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Daar by die gat,in die NK
    Posts
    4,901
    Thanked: 57

    Default

    Organize from your local pub or liquor wholesaler.
    No one ever ruined their eyesight by looking at the BRIGHT side!!
    Ford Ranger 4l 4x4
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan King Cab (aka Navara )
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
    Albert Einstein

    Whoooopa 3 The Goat strike back


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqw5...ature=youtu.be

    Another teazer.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51KljMSXOnI




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boksburg
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,037
    Thanked: 6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frans Reichert View Post
    Organize from your local pub or liquor wholesaler.
    I was thinking about that ......just tell them im having a big party and need a keg or 2 for my draught machine ..shouldnt be a problem surely .

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boksburg
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,372
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    just phones the local, R650 deposit for keg, now the second issue is can u keg your own beer like this though ? from what i saw was that they turned the gas up to 300psi or somthing and then rolled/ shook the keg and voila, but that was with those cory kegs, wonder if you can do this with sab keg/
    Kb300 Dtec 4x4 ...let the mods begin
    2003 Kb300Tdi d/c lx 4x4 - sold
    GP0274 batmandiver




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11,505
    Thanked: 266

    Default

    batman diver... if you're starting out, there's no need to get into kegging yet.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

    Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Africa
    Age
    35
    Posts
    61
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    You local Macro....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11,505
    Thanked: 266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waideguy View Post
    You local Macro....
    Yeah.. riiiight
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

    Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boksburg
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,372
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    The problem is there are 6 of us who drinl together at my place and home brew together....so the stuff gets made and boom its gone, thought the keg would be easier... a mate just organsied me a keg I must choose witch make sab or winhoek or somthing... apparently they different simon do u know if I can gas my brew in these kegs though ?

    Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    Kb300 Dtec 4x4 ...let the mods begin
    2003 Kb300Tdi d/c lx 4x4 - sold
    GP0274 batmandiver




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11,505
    Thanked: 266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by batman diver View Post
    The problem is there are 6 of us who drinl together at my place and home brew together....so the stuff gets made and boom its gone, thought the keg would be easier... a mate just organsied me a keg I must choose witch make sab or winhoek or somthing... apparently they different simon do u know if I can gas my brew in these kegs though ?

    Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    I don't use kegs, because bottles are more convenient for me (and I prefer natural carbonation), but I believe you need special adapters for the SAB Kegs.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

    Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    PTA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Hi Batman

    1. Yes you can force carbonate your home brew in a SAB keg, you dont need 300 PSI though dont worry, at most you will need 50 PSI
    2. In SA you get 2 types of couplers:
    Tri-lobe Coupler for Castle, Hansa and most microbrewery beer (most, not necessarily all)
    and
    Sanki/Well type Coupler
    for Windhoek, Amstel, Pilsner Urquel

    dont think it really matters what type you choose, personally I would go for the Trilobe. if you run out of home brew you can always buy n SAB keg or a keg from a craft brewery.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11,505
    Thanked: 266

    Default

    Should be getting my 3 kegs next week...

    And then chop them up 😀
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

    Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sunnydale, Cape Town
    Age
    57
    Posts
    476
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Should be getting my 3 kegs next week...

    And then chop them up 😀
    Simon...where are you getting your kegs chopped? I also have one, but my mate is having problems finding someone to do it without cutting the crown off first....
    I'd rather be fishing, camping or brewing beer...


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11,505
    Thanked: 266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
    Simon...where are you getting your kegs chopped? I also have one, but my mate is having problems finding someone to do it without cutting the crown off first....

    Doing it myself
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

    Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    37
    Posts
    366
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Youtube has a number of vids on how to cut a keg different ways. Some build a wooden contraption to hold the angle grinder, others just draw cutting lines and follow that as I did. Here's a pic of my cut which keeps the handles attached.


    Name:  ForumRunner_20140108_105428.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  20.9 KB

    This wasn't the cut I really wanted, but it was easier to do and it's good enough to do the job. Notice those inner lips, they need to be cut back as far as possible so they don't get in the way.
    Last edited by cavok; 2014/01/08 at 10:59 AM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    54
    Posts
    736
    Thanked: 2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    Youtube has a number of vids on how to cut a keg different ways. Some build a wooden contraption to hold the angle grinder, others just draw cutting lines and follow that as I did. Here's a pic of my cut which keeps the handles attached.


    Name:  ForumRunner_20140108_105428.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  20.9 KB

    This wasn't the cut I really wanted, but it was easier to do and it's good enough to do the job. Notice those inner lips, they need to be cut back as far as possible so they don't get in the way.

    And where did you get that chiller ?
    Bryan
    Disco 4 SDV6 S (me)
    Jeep Cherokee CRD (swambo)

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sunnydale, Cape Town
    Age
    57
    Posts
    476
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Cavok...thanks, will check Boobtube for some guidance videos.
    I'd rather be fishing, camping or brewing beer...


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sasolburg
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,212
    Thanked: 112

    Default

    Question, I heard that a keg only last about 5 day's, the the beer goes off?
    I wanted to install one at home.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    43
    Posts
    264
    Thanked: 177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flee View Post
    Question, I heard that a keg only last about 5 day's, the the beer goes off?
    I wanted to install one at home.
    Nope, it lasts around a month and a half up to two months - if you refrigerate the keg, it lasts longer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for a used keg
    By cavok in forum Home Brewing
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 2018/08/06, 01:43 PM
  2. Brewing weekend
    By FaanP in forum Home Brewing
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 2014/09/25, 06:40 AM
  3. Tonight: Keg & Swan GTG
    By Dirk in forum Eastern Cape
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2010/09/10, 02:26 PM
  4. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 2008/11/10, 02:14 PM
  5. Replies: 85
    Last Post: 2008/07/28, 03:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •