Discovery 3 TDV6 Preventative Maint 100,000 - 200,000km

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default TDV6 Preventative Maint 100,000 - 200,000km

With my 2009 TDV6 now past 100k I am browsing the site to figure out what preventative maintenance to do in order to reach 200,000km (theoretically at least) without experiencing any 'holiday interruptions'.

I have seen this question come up in other threads, but havnt seen any threads addressing it. Closest is the sticky 'Land Rover Problems', but it does not contain much d3 info.

Lots of expertise & experience around, shall we compile a list in below format?

@ 100k - replace thermostat housing
    @ 100k - service air suspension compressor
    @ 100k - replace lower control arm bushes
    @ 100k & at every future service thereafter, have battery checked

@ 120k - replace wheel bearings
    @ 120k - replace / overhaul alternator

@ 150k - replace cambelt (well I guess this may be a std service item)

Turbo?
    Injectors?

etc
    etc

(If nobody responds I'm going to change it for a V8.. )
    Last edited by biltongvreter; 2014/10/12 at 08:30 PM. Reason: typo
    2014 T'reg 3.6L V6
    2011 SLK 350

Prev: D4 XS, D3 TDV6, D2 V8, D1 V8 (x4), RRC, Paj V6 (x2), Patrol 4.8L

Before 100k gearbox oil change and sump.

Water manifold 120k

EGR valve
    probably around the same time as the cambelt

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

Hi biltongvreter

re: injectors - those need looking at around 150'000km - unless of course you use 2sO, then you don't worry about them far into the other side of 300'000km ......

Re: Turbo - These pop mainly due to 2 factors:

1. Blocked cat, which results in turbo bearings overheating due to excess heat being created due to excessive back pressure.

2. Seized actuator ring of VNT turbo (Common) - No issue if vehicle is fed a 2sO diet.....
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Quote Originally Posted by hgbosch View Post
    Hi biltongvreter

re: injectors - those need looking at around 150'000km - unless of course you use 2sO, then you don't worry about them far into the other side of 300'000km ......

Re: Turbo - These pop mainly due to 2 factors:

1. Blocked cat, which results in turbo bearings overheating due to excess heat being created due to excessive back pressure.

2. Seized actuator ring of VNT turbo (Common) - No issue if vehicle is fed a 2sO diet.....
    My only diesel to have used 2so from new was the disco 3. I sold it at 120k km fsh. Injectors failed. All my other diesels which haven't used 2so have clocked the 300k mark WITHOUT any injector servicing etc.

Sorry but after almost 1 000 000km logged on diesel engines I don't subscribe to 2so at all. Although it could just be the pathetically unreliable disco.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Forum Runner

Hi Dieselfan

I have observed the totally opposite during the more than 3.5 Mio km's I have clocked up in the last 40 years.

All my diesel vehicles have always been pampered on the 2sO diet and I will continue to do so. As I am frequently in pump shops, I have seen countless injectors pumps, HPFP's and injectors, from the old venerable pre-chamber injection diesel pumps and injectors, to the latest CRD derivatives. One can immediately see the difference in wear patterns (or the lack thereof where 2sO was used) when inspecting various pumps and injectors.

The funny thing is that most leading indies are favourably disposed towards the use of 2sO on vehicles run on 500ppm and 50ppm diesel.

Makes one think ......
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Default TDV6 Prevention rather than Cure

I'm 100% behind you, ''prevention is an investment after all'' and having recently purchased a D3S with 150'000km clocked sent it straight to Landyworx for a cambelt service ahead of time. I sought advice from this Forum and others before the buy and since have scoured the ''knowledge'' available to prepare a list of TO DO items.

I'm running the motor already dosed with the LiqiMoly PTFE, the LiqiMoly Muti in the tank at every fill (same as 2S0 I guess), the injector cleaner LiqiMoly Muti and a dose of tranifix that killed the gearbox shudder.

We changed the control arms as they were shot and fitted a backup compressor from AirSprings (Jochi) which works like a charm, no more suspension yellow lights albiet its had the new updated compressor already fitted (previous owner).

EGR blanking and Gearbox oil change is next and maybe a Torqtune remap if funds allow.

I,ve also got to fix a rattle from the front break shoes and another rattle from a heatshield or something (I'm assured its not mechanical).

Peter/Ian and others have advised me to get to know my motor, so will try and do a lot of stuff myself armed with my new Haynes Manual (Thanks Father Xmas) and downloaded LR manuals so watch this post with interest for fixes to do. Lets face it a breakdown in the bush will happen at some point and being able to do a DIY fix is first prize for me. The journey continues.

In advance for this thread, items to watch for (what a great idea) and more, Thankyou to all.

Hey Mr Tim, my landy after 100k had the.same treatment almost identical, arms, additive and yet by 115k km injectors 3 compressors the list goes.on.

The disco is like a 2 stroke engine, runs excellent until it stops. Bear in mind that there were a total of 4 discos in my family...now just one and replaced with the petrol version.

There's a reason the Indies are so so busy. It's a warranty vehicle, period, offering no piece of mind on holidays. Don't know about you but canceling a holiday costs more than the repair...

I eagerly wait for the japs to copy the disco.

Thanks all, keep going!

Summary so far (and before anybody-just-back-from-holiday challenges the list, please check the first paragraph in the original post):

@ 100k - turbo protection: blank off EGR and remove CAT
    @ 100k - replace thermostat housing (aka water manifold)
    @ 100k - (or earlier) change gearbox oil
    @ 100k - service air suspension compressor
    @ 100k - probably need to replace lower control arm bushes
    @ 100k & at every service thereafter, have battery checked

@ 120k - replace wheel bearings
    @ 120k - overhaul / replace alternator

@ 150k - replace cambelt
    @ 150k - replace injectors

Additions & corrections welcome.
    2014 T'reg 3.6L V6
    2011 SLK 350

Prev: D4 XS, D3 TDV6, D2 V8, D1 V8 (x4), RRC, Paj V6 (x2), Patrol 4.8L

Excellent thread, can we please keep to the topic, and NOT start a 2SO debate, neither make this the place to discuss the reasons why you do not like the Disco3. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    Excellent thread, can we please keep to the topic, and NOT start a 2SO debate, neither make this the place to discuss the reasons why you do not like the Disco3. Please.
    I loved mine, still do, but I too had a thread about preventative maintenance between, 100 plus. And my post is on topic, whilst negative. Having had 4 this thread is futile. No more comments don't stress.

Last edited by dieselfan; 2014/01/05 at 12:39 AM.

Default Swambo's find ?

The wife stopped and looked at a 2005 D3 S.
    BUT 245000KM on the clock and it looks like it was serviced between 12 - 15000km intervals. Dealer first then Indy, Luckily the last 5 services are with Savoy so i will chat to him in the morning. It looks very clean inside, looked after inside and out. Surely by 245000km most of the issues would have been sorted out.
    What would need to be done at 245000km as a preventative measure.
    The price will be R160 000.00
    Not sure if anyone does oil tests in P.E. (DIRK)

Found a low kilo, proper services at Dealer, clean and well looked after.
    Last edited by imgreg; 2014/01/26 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Better buy
    Defender Kalahari
    Series 3 SWB
    Series 2 SWB (Near Future)
    Series 1 Station Wagon 88''

Quote Originally Posted by imgreg View Post
    The wife stopped and looked at a 2005 D3 S.
    BUT 245000KM on the clock and it looks like it was serviced between 12 - 15000km intervals. Dealer first then Indy, Luckily the last 5 services are with Savoy so i will chat to him in the morning. It looks very clean inside, looked after inside and out. Surely by 245000km most of the issues would have been sorted out.
    What would need to be done at 245000km as a preventative measure.
    The price will be R160 000.00
    Not sure if anyone does oil tests in P.E. (DIRK)
    I have the kit available, you need to SPEED SERVICES NOT AIRFREIGHT it to Peter.

150k - replace injectors ---- Is it not possible to service the injectors - I have heard that other manufactures replace injector "tips" and some companies ultrasonic clean injectors (with success I am not sure) hopefully the forum can advise?Please no 2SO debate....ThanksGert
    Last edited by Disconostic; 2014/01/10 at 08:48 AM.
    Bush Lapa Miskruier

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianbona View Post
    Water manifold 120k
    +1

* Also brake light switch - that little b*(&** can make your heart stop with the X-Mas tree + bings and bongs.

* Clean your air compressor and microwave your balls (silicon ones in the dryer).

* Clean your MAF sensor

* Remember to re-do your PTFE treatment (or do it if you haven't).

* I would like to change the gearbox oil (double flush) & add some protectant from the guys who make Dr Tranny (anybody know who does double flush in CT and what it costs?)

* Replacement silicone hose kit

* Service the turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Landyluvver View Post
    EGR valve
    probably around the same time as the cambelt
    Yeah - just blank the crappy things.
    Also, when you do the cambelt you need to ensure that you have the latest design oil pump housing IIRC - bot someone else on here will know better.

Default 90 000 km to 200 000 km preventative maintenance

Hi Everyone

Here is my 5 cents worth added to the original post.
    Some lessons were hard learnt by the Cape Land Rover Club, some come from the Disco 3 forum in the UK (excellent source of info) and some from personal experience.

@ 90 000 km:
    - change gearbox oil and filter every 90 000 km
    - clean MAF sensor (next to oil filter). Clean carefully to avoid puncturing membrane
    @ 100 000 km:
    - remove CAT
    - blank off EGR’s. But NOT on post-2007 models – will result in a permanent dash alarm
    - replace thermostat housing (aka water manifold) every 100 000km
    - service air suspension compressor – check / replace valves and silica gel or replace compressor with AMK version (AMK requires software upgrade, should come with new housing etc – a mod, not a straight replacement))
    - replace lower control arm bushes
    - check/replace steering arm balljoints or replace steering rack
    - check/replace battery and check alternator
    - check / replace rear diff oil – if contaminated, check / replace rear diff actuator motor
    - replace brake light switch to avoid Christmas tree heartstopping experience!
    - replace turbo inlet hose

@ 120 000 km:
    - consider turbo service, especially actuator
    - replace turbo inlet hose
    - replace wheel bearings
    - check / overhaul / replace alternator
    - replace water hoses with silicone versions

@ 150 000 km or 7 years:
    - replace cambelt
    - replace HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) belt
    - consider replacing oil pump while front end is open (there is a new design)
    - consider replacing water pump while front end is open
    - check / replace injectors
    - replace UPPER control arm bushes if they were not replaced at 120 000 km with lower ones
    - check shock absorbers and replace (not the air springs, the shocks!!!) Yes even air suspension D3 ‘s have shocks – consider Koni or Bilstein (not sure of Bilstein, but Koni is refurbishable, LR is not)

Additional items to check:
    - check / Replace Tailgate Stay
    - check / Clean / Replace tailgate switch

Every 2 years or so – update software – recent update to transmission software is major – no more thumps/klunks during changes and on overrun etc

Every 12 000 km – oil, oil filter, sump plug replacement, not 24 000km!

EGR valves on a post 2007 model is not yet recommended to be blanked off due to an alarm that will be permanently displayed on the dash. Pete Bell (BAS – UK) is working on a solution, be patient. However, remove the cat asap!

Hope this helps. Great initiative, so lets build a solid maintenance regime to ensure longevity, the vehicle is certainly capable of a long life if maintained properly.

Herbie
    Soutman

Left foot in Land Rover country
    Right foot now also in Discovery and Range Rover Classic (restoration) Country
    en ons voeter Noord ...

Quote Originally Posted by Soutman View Post
    EGR valves on a post 2007 model is not yet recommended to be blanked off due to an alarm that will be permanently displayed on the dash.
    My D3's have been blanked and there is no alarm?

Quote Originally Posted by Antonf View Post
    My D3's have been blanked and there is no alarm?

Mine too, 2008 model!!!

Looks like my injectors have bombed at 185 000km. But the vehicle just smokes allot of white smoke, still runs fine though, so replacing the injectors is not gonna avoid a breakdown in the middle of no where!
    Pass me another beer 8)

2010 Discover 4 V8 HSE
    2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES
    2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S (seized at 231 212km) sold for scrap

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast