Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TJM Africa

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default TJM Africa

I happened into an interesting bit of news yesterday. TJM is coming to Africa.

TJM of course had a product presence here already through some 4x4 stores, but now will have a corporate presence and their own TJM stores. The biggest difference to us the consumers is that all TJM product lines will now be available in SA and the rest of Africa.

The stores will be 4x4 stores concentrating on kitting your 4x4, selling things like shocks, snorkels, winches, bullbars, Recovery kits, jacks (in carry bags), pro-lockers etc. TJM actually has over 3000 product lines including stuff like fridges etc.

A South African version of the Aussie website will also go live next year where you can build your 4x4 on-line and see the finished product (with a price) without even leaving your PC. I played with it a bit. Click the link.

Some pics:

Variety is the spice of life!

Awesome !! And I know the people in charge will make a huge success out of it. They have the know-how, the passion and the infrastructure, as well as the proper business sense.
    [B]Johan Prinsloo

Not LA Sport any more?
    "Do not try to win over the idiots - you are not the Jerk Whisperer.."

Quote Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
    Not LA Sport any more?
    Spectator I do not know those details. All I know is that they are setting up stores countrywide. I do not know if they'll be distributing through other chains as well.

Het die storie net vlugtig in Knysna gehoor en dit interessant gevind. Been following the TJM clips on YouTube for a while.

Gary Swemmer previously from LA Sport Silverlakes has apparently opened the first TJM Africa Shop.

https://www.facebook.com/LaSportPreoriaEastSilverlakes
    2007 Mitsibushi Triton 2.5 Did 4x4 D/cab (Sold)

I heard La Sport is going to produce a local range of accessories, the price is going to be very competitive. I do wish them luck! LOCAL IS LEKA!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mudhunter View Post
    I heard La Sport is going to produce a local range of accessories, the price is going to be very competitive. I do wish them luck! LOCAL IS LEKA!!
    I would rather support LA Sport. TJM is s good brand, but the new owners has no idea about QC.
    LASport has my full support!
    FordRanger T6 / 3.2 XLT 4x4 Auto.
    The 3Ton Gravel Road Monster over weekends.
    The Pavement Special in the week.
    Since March 2013
    ConquerorComfort.
    Camping instyle since January 2012.

HAM CallSign: ZS6LSC
    ORRA CallSign:AG34

<a href="http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/ranger/2013/zs6lsc/172702" target="_blank"><a href="https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/172702.png" target="_blank"><a href="https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/172702.png" target="_blank">

Quote Originally Posted by ZS6LSC GP View Post
    TJM is s good brand, but the new owners has no idea about QC.
    TJM doesn't have new owners. Same owners, same manufacturers, same QC as always. TJM is just distributing their products through a dedicated TJM network now.

I don't know what this means for the different players in the market, but I do know that we the customers are the ones who will score.

If TJM brings is all their ranges now we'll be spoilt for choice. And if LAS ads locally manufactured products to their ranges there will be competition. Competition increases product quality and keeps pricing in check.

More choice, good product, competitive pricing. Win Win Win. 8)

+1000

Discussed this last night over Christmas dinner. One of the guests at the table does a lot of the CNC and machining work for LA sports locally made stuff. If there new bull bars etc are going to be the same quality as the rear bars and carrier they currently make, then this is really good news. The bullbars will also be airbag compatible, as the TJM ones are now

I guess you heard this at the office?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I guess you heard this at the office?
    Ouch! I thought there must be connection somewhere.

Onderduims Mudhunter, om 'n kompeterende produk op die forum te kom beswadder onder 'n vals naam. Jy het LAS nou baie meer skade as goed gedoen.

This is going to be interesting.

TJM make some really good stuff.

Would love to know what this means to LAS.
    Ross

Where would TJM distribute there products? As i only know of one dedicated TJM store the old La Sport Menlyn with does not have stock on most TJM product as found out by one of my buddies that wanted to kit his Hilux there the other day.....

I called the TJM store, asking about a certain item. The answer was, yes, Sir, i have. 3 in stock, but cannot sell them to you as i have no price for them yet. WTF.?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How does that work if you pay a certain price for something you add your mark up of lets say 30% and boom there is your resale price it is not rocket science? Hugos i dont think they have stock of the item you asked for and you might have called there bluff! Maybe they must first stock there shop before putting them self out there a "TJM" shop?

Where would TJM distribute there products? As i only know of one dedicated TJM store the old La Sport Menlyn with does not have stock on most TJM product as found out by one of my buddies that wanted to kit his Hilux there the other day.....
    Look I have no affiliation so I don't have any info apart from what I happen to know through the Journo side. TJM is in the middle of switching distribution and opening new franchises countrywide. We expect a press release from TJM in the near future. When it comes I'll share. During the transition there will be hiccups. That's normal.

How does that work if you pay a certain price for something you add your mark up of lets say 30% and boom there is your resale price it is not rocket science? Hugos i dont think they have stock of the item you asked for and you might have called there bluff! Maybe they must first stock there shop before putting them self out there a "TJM" shop?
    Mudhunter I saw your negative post on the other thread too. Some history there mate? What's the connection?
    Last edited by Trailrider; 2014/01/10 at 08:38 AM.

Trailerider there is no connection. To me its just sad that we as South Africans have been dominated by Australian companies like TJM and ARB for years running a price monopoly.... to me its sad to see companies like African Outback go after all the years in the business. I thinks its time that we as South African's start doing it for our self. And there i would like to thank guys like Uys from StofPad, Eezi awn, howling moon, Alu-cab and Lynx 4x4 to name but a few. Building the SA economy. If a company like say TJM brings in there whole product range including there canopy, rooftop tents,bash plates it will put more pressure on our local 4x4 manufacturing industry? So that is basically where I come from with my thinking so no history only a Guy that loves his country and Africa and like seeing South Africa moving forward....... I think you would like to see the same happening?

Trailerider there is no connection. To me its just sad that we as South Africans have been dominated by Australian companies like TJM and ARB for years running a price monopoly.... to me its sad to see companies like African Outback go after all the years in the business. I thinks its time that we as South African's start doing it for our self. And there i would like to thank guys like Uys from StofPad, Eezi awn, howling moon, Alu-cab and Lynx 4x4 to name but a few. Building the SA economy. If a company like say TJM brings in there whole product range including there canopy, rooftop tents,bash plates it will put more pressure on our local 4x4 manufacturing industry? So that is basically where I come from with my thinking so no history only a Guy that loves his country and Africa and like seeing South Africa moving forward....... I think you would like to see the same happening?
    The realistic thing is, it is not the Aussie products to be scared of . . .

4x4 Megaworld sold the African Outback products ( Proudly SA ) for a very long time, and they were worth a BIG chunk of their production. Then all of a sudden they stopped that, and is now marketing there own Desert range . . . only trouble is, 4x4MW is having these products made in China and importing them to SA, so there goes another local content down the drain. If the local manufacturers want the public to buy their products, they will have to be very competitively priced, something I'm afraid LAS is not known for.
    [B]Johan Prinsloo

I'm as proudly South African as the next guy, but this post opens itself up to some questions.

Your post sounds very poetic, but the truth is that the SA Rand is around R10 to the Aus $. The Aussies are manufacturing and paying salaries at 10X the Rand, plus the cost of shipping around the planet. (This also explains the recent price increase)

If a SA product and an Aus product is sold side by side, at the same quality and price, every member here will support the SA product. And SA companies should be able to compete well as we are at an advantage price-wise. So what's the problem?

And what on earth is a "price monopoly"? TJM decides what price SA companies should sell their products at? I don't think so!

I'm sorry. I maintain my position that more product and more competition is good for the consumer. It keeps prices in check and product quality up. Only companies / products unable to compete are anti competition.

Trailerider there is no connection.
    If I didn't know better I would have thought you were part of a competition company.
    Last edited by Trailrider; 2014/01/10 at 08:41 PM.

Trailerider there is no connection. To me its just sad that we as South Africans have been dominated by Australian companies like TJM and ARB for years running a price monopoly....
    Why is it sad, you have been supporting this practice? Surely if you did not agree with it you should not have been selling it?

Maybe you should post under your real name, at least then there is full disclosure, and your posts/comments can be read in context.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast