Home Built Discovery Drawer System

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Home Built Discovery Drawer System

i decided to tackle my own system after checking all the standard pricey systems out there. I did this drawer system in modular sections. The bottom drawer unfortunately was upholstered in a material I donít like (after I had it done ! ) and will be changed to match the top. This section is out of 18 mm Commercial plywood. The two left hand drawers are full length and the extreme right hand side drawer has a small secret compartment behind for valuables etc Ė accessed by folding rear seat forward.

The fridge and drawer modules are constructed from 12 mm Commercial plywood.

The Stainless Steel worktop is ideal for unpacking and prepping food with a sunken profile so no liquids or juice drip off.

I still need to do compartments for the deep drawer to use the space more efficiently.

Fridge / Freezer is on a Stainless Tray.

A long shallow double drawer to span the entire width is under construction at present.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drawers.jpg 
Views:	1792 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	14465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear View.jpg 
Views:	1922 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	14466   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Workspace.jpg 
Views:	1746 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	14467  

Hi Andy,

It looks nice. It also helps if you know someone in the steanless steel indrusty. Do you have a +- price on how much it will cost to build?

Thanks
    Shorty...........aka Renier

Default Hey !

Why arent you working Need to give you some work I think !!! How about invoicing me ?

Why - you want me to make you one Will do a detailed costing later - this was done in stages but could be cheaper if all done simultaneoulsy ?!?!?!

Call me - i have 2 stores which need renovations !

Andy looks very nice. One question: is there enough ventilation for the Engel?
    Cecil
    Dharhan, Saudi Arabia
    and sometimes
    Brackenfell, Cape Town
    97 Colt 3L V6 DC Rodeo

Default Ventilation

Yes - the entire rear of the fridge unit is open at the back except for a small bracing crosspiece at the top - i have considered putting a small fan with a louvre grid to improve ventilation in the side of the enclosure - but no problems at present.

Very neat my friend
    2004 Clubcab
    The difference between men and boys is the value of their toys.
    Growing older is mandatory, - growing up is optional.

Arie Guest

Very Nice. Will be interesting to see how much it all costs, what savings there are.

That's neat.

Hi Andy

Very very nice. Congratulations and thanks for the pics taught me a new thing or two.

Henk
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

...the extreme right hand side drawer has a small secret compartment behind for valuables etc Ė accessed by folding rear seat forward.
    Ain't no secret anymore

Andy, very nice system, where did you buy the locking mechanism on the fridge slide? Also are the commercial ply strong enough in your opinion to take the bumps and bruises of offroading especially the screws holding the sliders?

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    [email protected]
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

Default Thanks !

Morning Guys !

Thanks for all the compliments - am quite proud of it as it compares to off the shelf produced units in terms of quality and one puts a bit extra in when building it for yourself. I would say the commercial ply is strong enough - i have not done a tradtional joint where the bottom timber screws to the side of the upright but rather that it screws to the upright from above and below ! The screws holding the slides are self tapping short screws in between longer countersunk screws going right through the wood and bolted inside and then cut off. Disadvantage is countersunk head is now under the upholstery so cannot access if needed. Sliding lock purchased at Builder's Warehouse ( Previously De La Rey's )

Costs - I have seen a frontrunner unit advertised off the shelf with just a fridge slide and a draw unit in the mags for R5395 - i am at about half of this with so much more !!!!

Very nice Andy.

Mine currently looks like this and I'm very happy with it, but I must admit that if I've got to do it again, I'll have it the same as yours witout the bottom shelf ie fridge on the bottom right with the two drawers left on top of eachother. This just makes access to the fridge easier for shorter people, doesn't interfere with your rear view and allows for longer items to be packed in the rear.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Default !!!!

maybe its good to keep short people out of your beer fridge !??!?!

Yours looks good too - i think ones needs always change depending on the type of trip you do so a perfect solution for all the time is difficult

I have got used to driving just from side mirrors when away and packed to the hilt but my top drawer under construction will be a quick release number or i will have no view at all out back window all the time !

Off subject - downside of that dual battery installation - cant get to oil filter that easily when i service vehicle - changed oil but not filter the other day - seems like i need to remove battery and tray to change it - not a train smash !!!

Is the slide out mechanism for the fridge strong enough to hold the weight of a full fridge. If so i might try it. Does it roll on nylon wheels ?

ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

You get different strenght slides. Mine can hold 100kg each so unless beers become eavier I'll be allright. ;-)
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Andy

You say you spent about half of the commercial frontrunner units...

Is it really as much as that?

I have done fairly significant research into my design, which I will start building around Easter, was that I's easily get away with about quarter of the cost of commercial units (R1500 as opposed to around 6k). I'm making mine from aluminium.

I was thinking about the fridge height issue, but it's more important to me to have a flat floor across the full width of the back when there's no fridge, so it will sit on a slide on top.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Default Hi

Yes - includes the stainless steel work - fridge slide and table. I also did it in sections so not the most economical way to go - and professionally upholstered also in sections and not all at once !

Default Custom Made Drawer Systems

Hi All ( Western Capies !)

To supplement the purchasing of 4 x 4 toys I am quite prepared to design and manufacture custom made systems in my spare time for peple who do not have the time or expertise to do so themselves - my system is available to view should you wish to get an idea of the quality and finishes - PM me if you would like to chat and get a quote.

SimonB,

Would like to see how the aluminium design looks. Will you be doing the frame in a welded contruction / rivited? If welded, who does the welding, because I am dying to learn how to do that

Will you be using roller sliders or UHMWPE sliders?

Manie

Thanks for the interest. I'm collecting all my bits today and tomorrow to start over the easter weekend.

Construction will consist of the following materials:
    • 25mm square aluminium tubing
    • 50x50mm aluminium angle
    • 2x30mm aluminium bar
    • Plywood for the flooring, waterproofed
    • Covered with waterproof boating carpet
    • Aluminium tiedown rails for the "new" floor
    • Furnlock heavy duty slides (2x800mm for the drawers and 2x600mm for the fridge)
    The most expensive item on the shopping list however is an aluminium cutting blade for my radial arm saw!

Everything will be bolted together with the assistance of Maizey Connect-It connectors. I might need the "trays" for the drawers and fridge slide welding, but that will be done by the UCT mech Eng workshop.

I will start a new project thread once construction has started.
    Last edited by SimonB; 2008/03/19 at 01:32 PM.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast