Sodwana bay and surrounding area - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by C Africa View Post
    O, and one more thing, if you take that sandy backroad route with the deep water crossing to Sibaya (the real fun route), watch out at the water crossing. People are in the habit of all getting out to watch as each individual crosses. Same once you've crossed you park to watch the fun as your companion crosses. While every-ones attention is on the water antics, they empty your car right behind you.

Always be alert and watchful.

C
    Which route is this you refer to?
    There is only one route I know of-from just beyond Mbazwana taking the turnoff off the tar and onto the dirt-road(the D1884 I think it is) -then heading north/ north-east and then through the Coastal Reserve control gate, and all along heading north skirting the eastern shores of the lake-then once in Mabibi village-at the school-the road veers east towards the coast and towards Mabibi camp etc..
    Where is this deep water crossing?

Basically just past Sodwana Bay Lodge, you turn right (coming from Sodwana side), there isn't really a road, it is a sandy track (as a matter of fact there are tracks all over the place and we have on occasion lost our way a bit and had to backtrack and try a different route). A couple of K's in you pass a soccer field (pass it on the sea side and keep heading North and you're on track) and then a little further on you get to the water crossing over a river.

On the other side, the road is a bit more "permanent" and you basically join the road you were talking about a kilo or so before the gate where you usually have to pay to get through to Sibaya (just before the turnoff to 9 mile) (I think this is what you refer to as the coastal control gate).

By the way, the water crossing can vary wildly from year to year. I've had it over the bonnet of my Isuzu, and another time with the Pajero, it was about wheel arch height.

I've done this route probably about 20 times in my life and it is just never the same, but always a nice scenic drive and a fun water crossing. (and scary when it is deep and you're a first time wader!!!)

C
    Last edited by C Africa; 2014/08/16 at 03:57 PM.
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

Thanks C

Yes-that's the gate I meant-just before 9-mile turnoff.

I must give that route a chance some time then when I am up there again!

Absolutely, worth it.

It is slightly easier to find coming back from Sibaya. On the south side of the gate just keep a sharp lookout for a turn-off to the left. It is the first one you see but easy to drive by if you're not going slow and keeping a lookout.

Now you just follow this, for quite a long way actually (quite scenic in many places) as the water crossing is basically almost at the Lodge.

C

Would there be an alternative route if you want to skip the water crossing?
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFS..._as=subscriber
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

Nope, if you're on that route and the water looks to daunting to you, then you'll have to turn around and follow the route mentioned by Patrick.

27°29'19.58" S 32°39'50.45" E

These are the coordinates of the water crossing on Goggle Earth. The water is almost hidden from view by the trees overhanging at this point.

C

How is the campsites( Eden Park and sugar loaf) in St Lucia? I have 5 days over December in Cape Vidal and 5 days in St Lucia.
    Francois

as Charles says, when you come back from Sibaya you can pick the road up on the left side. However its very often quite over grown and more often than not you miss it. if you see the fence then turn around and try again.
    last time we did it from the lodge the far bank was quite steep and we battled to climb it.
    Living in the land Down Under.

Quote Originally Posted by Francois111 View Post
    How is the campsites( Eden Park and sugar loaf) in St Lucia? I have 5 days over December in Cape Vidal and 5 days in St Lucia.

We camped at Eden at some time ago-it was OK-but Sugar Loaf looks far better-more private, more tucked into the coastal forest, and closer to the beach/mouth.

Hi.

We are 4 guys who are planning a trip to sodwana(early December). But I read a lot of mixed reviews about the place(pretty but dangerous?) will it be that bad early December, or not quite? Also we will most likely only have a "platkar" to travel with, are there some nice but affordable accommodation that can be reached with a Toyota Tazz?

The main reason we want to go will be to snorkel at the reef. I don't intend to go to 9mile/blackrock. I have never been there before, and neither have I snorkeled before!

We just want to take the basics(No valuables that are not necessary) And also those small diving cases to keep my phone/wallet etc on my body when snorkeling.

Any recent news about how things are at the moment? And any suggestions would be appreciated!

We drove in to Coral Divers at Sodwana in a Getz. I'm sure you will have no hassles in a Tazz.

Snorkelling straight off the main beach is cool, we were sitting in one of the hollows in the rocks and had a meter + moray eel swim past. There are loads to explore snorkelling in the shallows around the rocks.

We had no problems there last time we went, if you not going to be going off to the more remote parts of the beach and/or surrounds don't expect you'd have any hassles.

Only a brief warning, it is very very warm in December, take sunscreen.

I'd say just camp inside the Sodwana conservancy. Check and book via the kzn wildlife website
    Last edited by DJ Payne; 2014/09/02 at 12:19 PM.
    Devin

2009 Volvo XC60 D5 Auto (Sold )

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Payne View Post
    We drove in to Coral Divers at Sodwana in a Getz. I'm sure you will have no hassles in a Tazz.

Snorkelling straight off the main beach is cool, we were sitting in one of the hollows in the rocks and had a meter + moray eel swim past. There are loads to explore snorkelling in the shallows around the rocks.

We had no problems there last time we went, if you not going to be going off to the more remote parts of the beach and/or surrounds don't expect you'd have any hassles.

Only a brief warning, it is very very warm in December, take sunscreen.

I'd say just camp inside the Sodwana conservancy. Check and book via the kzn wildlife website
    Thanks for the reply! We have not made up our minds yet, as to where to stay. Unfortunately we cant camp(don't have a tent or trailer/ not much space in the car either) So we were looking at places like "Triton lodge" & maybe the safari tents at "coral Diver". The prices seem to be reasonable.

We've always stayed at Coral Divers, used both the Safari Tents and the cabins. Cabins are very nice.

Have a look here, http://www.kznwildlife.com/index.php...n-sodwana.html

Might help.
    Devin

2009 Volvo XC60 D5 Auto (Sold )

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Payne View Post
    We've always stayed at Coral Divers, used both the Safari Tents and the cabins. Cabins are very nice.

Have a look here, http://www.kznwildlife.com/index.php...n-sodwana.html

Might help.

Thank you. I will have a look, I feel more positive already

Default sodies

great news from sodies; have not been there for many years ; we used to go to sodies yearly from jhb ; the drive was on the beach and legal ; treat was to pack for the day and drive up to mabibi or cape vidal on the beach ; kingfish bay was good for fishing ;there was only one boat for the divers off season ...; a guy from durban - trident diving ? i think it was ; 9 mile there was always the challenge of driving up the dune from the beach side ; very popular those days ;reality now is that I am trying to get to a b&b for late dec/early jan holidays ...;

Roetsie, I'd also recommend the Safari Tents at Coral. Although I opted for a cabin this time round (I did my advanced open waters with them last week), I stayed in one of the Safari Tents previously. Good vibe, good facilities, safe, good prices, and close to the beach (compared to other establishments). You can hitch a lift to/from the beach with their tractor, so if you want you wouldn't even need your car much once you're there.

You definitely will have no problems getting there with a Tazz either.

www.coraldivers.co.za
    Edgar

Nissan X-Trail 2.5CVT

Hello

As jy n baie lekker plek soek A Day in africa, Bel oom Andre.

André 083 730 2764 / Doris 082 826 7518
    Toyota FJ Fan - Hansie met Vakansie

Default Re: Sodwana bay and surrounding area

We are visiting sodwana at the end of April, our 1st visit. We will be travelling in one vehicle. We have 4 days there. Apart from visiting the beach and snorkeling, are there any other spots nearby that are safe to visit if not in convoy? We are in a 4x4. I have read that the beach is deserted after 1pm due to wind? True? Lastly, are there shuttles to and from sodwana town?

Default Re: Sodwana bay and surrounding area

Kariba
    We will also be in sodwana end of april and have been going for the last 16yrs this will be the 2nd time with a 4x4 so there's alot more to do. I personally think this is the best time to go as the weather has always been great.
    As for safety all I can says is that in the last 16yrs I've never experienced any problems what so ever , even when I worked there for 2 yrs. This year I'm thinking of making a trip up to black rock or mubibi and Kosi bay is a must last yr we got lost on the back roads to kosi and we had a fat jol on the narrow jeep tracks with very deep sand.

You guys must have dinner At Elephant Waterhole restaurant Andre the owner is an awesome guy and his restaurant is the best in sodwana he is also on this forum and last year he helped my buddy out when my buddy had some car troubles ( Jeep vs Cow)

Hope this little bit of info has helped

2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    2.5 Inch AEV XT Dualsport lift kit
    JK Speaker Evo2 LED Lights
    Staffy front bull bar
    Swaybar Disconnectors
    33 inch Cooper ST tyres
    Rugged Ridge XHD rear bumper
    AEV Snorkel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2