Page 159 of 159 FirstFirst ... 59 109 134 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159
Results 3,161 to 3,175 of 3175

Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

Quote Originally Posted by adashoe View Post
    Afternoon all,

I'm about to embark on the Metalian Maxi route too and should be placing the deposit down in the next week to 10 days (ish).

What have people done in terms of inverter upgrades (to say...2000w +) and going down the lipo route? I've got all Victron Energy gear in my LC200

Cheers- Adam
    I don't have a inverter but running 2000w inverter will draw 166a and you might need to think about how you charge it as well.

Most lithium can charge at 0.5 - 1c so 50-100a for a 100ah battery the HCDP panel is 15 or 20a if you plan to use lots of power higher charge rate might be useful. Especially if you go over 100ah.

Quote Originally Posted by pfgrobler View Post
    I don't have a inverter but running 2000w inverter will draw 166a and you might need to think about how you charge it as well.

Most lithium can charge at 0.5 - 1c so 50-100a for a 100ah battery the HCDP panel is 15 or 20a if you plan to use lots of power higher charge rate might be useful. Especially if you go over 100ah.
    I would probably got for 2 x 100Ah victron batteries with either the 30A DCDC charger or a 50A Buckboost from Victron. I currently have the 30A DCDC charger in my LC but that'll be charging the 100ah battery in the back of the LC
    2015 Nissan Patrol Pickup (chopped) 4.8L petrol manual

2008 Toyota Land Cruiser 4.5L diesel manual

@beastpatrol_and_milo

Well, after eyeballing this Super Thread for 4 years, and almost buying an eye watering new Maxi, I found one before Dec. Much thanks to Henk to check it out for me, help with negotiations, and getting ready in time for Dec holidays. Did 4 camps Dec, as per advice from many of you, to first see how it works and not. As many has said, this peace of kit really solid. Looking at old caravans a lot of people are camping with, this stainless boxes are going too leave a legacy behind far longer than it's creator is going to be around. Okay, okay.... Not implying anything here. I know we are living in sensitive times.

Camping all my live, being a ground dweller, it is really nice sleaping on a more-than-proper camping bed. A list of really nice features, luxuries, etc, makes one enjoy your camping so much more, not that being a ground dweller takes away from the camping experience. It's all still camping.

A few fixes done, some more to do, some long term alterations, and hopefully, a lot of camping.

I'm sure Heinz creation is going to part of our family live for a good few and precious years.

Looking forward to the rest of this yourmey!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CeeZee For This Useful Post:

Ok. On our way out this weekend I stopped at the weigh bridge at the rubbish dump. Loaded for a weekend, full water, and a lot of empty space for post-lockdown juice. Hooked to the FSP it came in at 1200kgs, and 1300kgs unhooked.

What is more of a 'concern' was the FSP at 2700kgs. It's a 2l Amarok. Got a drawer system, which was not fully loaded. SWAMBO and kids in, but not me and the dog. He was not invited this weekend. Empty roof rack. Now I see how easy it is to overload. Had the weight conversation a lot at camp with friends towing caravans, and they avoid the bridge like the plague. They all assume they are overloaded. Now I know.

So, on another topic.... awnings. Setting up and down camp remains, well, not the highlight of a camp. I like the new Metalian tent and awning. As for the fridge not opening, I have added a 1.2m drawer runner to mine. I think I need about 12cm to clear it. Does some of you guys clear the awning post with large fridges?

Regarding 3rd party awnings, how do you tention the awning on the rear where the wing folds open? I've seen an Alu Cab one with an upright post attached to the roof rack. But that was not a normal trailer tent. I like the Bundutech one, and could use it with my old tent maybe (by choice) . Not sure. Also, does anybody have a Bundutech with the new awning mechanism?

Any advice or ideas on a awning would be welcome.

CZ

Hi , can only comment on the fridge issue. You need longer slides. In fact it should come from the factory like that. It makes no sense to pay all that money for a fridge not to fully open. Anyway. Longer slides will solve this problem
    2020 Toyota Landcruiser 200 GX-R
    2018 Range rover sport
    2017 BMW M4

Pieter, how long is your fridge slide. Do have a 1m or 1.2m?

Also, how do you like the Metalian awning? (Making an assumption here you have one.) And the tent setup, is it acceptable?

Thanks.

Hi

I am waiting for the longer slides. Had to order. No stock in SA. Not sure of the length but slightly longer. I need like 2cm

I have the Metalian tent and awning. I thing as a combo it is one of the best i have seen. I also have the added room and all integrate perfectly. The awning is great and in my opinion over engineered. Easy to setup and very sturdy.
    2018 Range rover sport
    2017 BMW M4

2cm? Wow. Most of use need a lot more than 2cm!

Ja, the tent and awning looks the business. Little concerned at the water drop angle. But it seldom pours down in WC I guess. I believe they might raise it a bit, but Heinz can comment here. Still expensive, but all the parts adds up, I guess.

You can't some time do a setup video? Can't seem to find one online. From park to beer.

CZ

Sent you a PM
    2018 Range rover sport
    2017 BMW M4

Quote Originally Posted by CeeZee View Post
    2cm? Wow. Most of use need a lot more than 2cm!

Ja, the tent and awning looks the business. Little concerned at the water drop angle. But it seldom pours down in WC I guess. I believe they might raise it a bit, but Heinz can comment here. Still expensive, but all the parts adds up, I guess.

You can't some time do a setup video? Can't seem to find one online. From park to beer.

CZ

https://www.facebook.com/Metalian4x4...02137467031914 Hope this helps. It sounds pricey, until you look at a hardshell RTT that now sells well into 30k. There's a lot of fabric and work in a Metalian tent. The mattress is proper 4 inch multi layered, all poly cotton canvas and reflective flysheet, solid throughout.

Busy updating our motor/trailer insurance policy. It struck me that while vehicles have documented retail/market values this is not so for our Metalian Maxi. The insurer we are with just accepts value I give them.

What do you guys do re off-road trailer insurance, more specifically how do you set a value for the trailer?
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne
    Platkar: 2002 Audi A4 1.8T 110kW Multitronic

Swambo: 2014 Clio IV 0.9L 66kW Turbo Expression

Camper Trailer: Metalian Maxi (Pi) & 2010 Howling Moon TTT

I'm insured with Discovery and furnish them with a replacement quote annually.. my broker had a fight with them to agree that if it gets written off it will be replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
    Busy updating our motor/trailer insurance policy. It struck me that while vehicles have documented retail/market values this is not so for our Metalian Maxi. The insurer we are with just accepts value I give them.

What do you guys do re off-road trailer insurance, more specifically how do you set a value for the trailer?
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.4 4x4 auto
    Metalian Maxi
    2014 Jeep Cherokee 3,2 Limited AWD A/T (swambo)

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 Overland (sold)
    2011 Fortuner 3 D4D 4x4 (sold)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bartman71 For This Useful Post:

Evening. Can one pick up a metalian second hand for R150k? If so how old/new might it be? Thanks

Was checking out this one earlier in the classifieds :

https://www.4x4community.co.za/class...an-maxi/cat/16
    Quote Originally Posted by warrenpfo View Post
    Evening. Can one pick up a metalian second hand for R150k? If so how old/new might it be? Thanks
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

Smile Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

Quote Originally Posted by warrenpfo View Post
    Bought mine Dec last year. 2015. This weekend was night #25.
    There has been a few on the market last year for your price and less. 2012 to 2015 about. Expect old tent and decals, but if you are hands on, over a year or so you make it a very nice piece of kit. It's a stainless steel box. Going to outlive you. What I, ve read, don't worry about 2.5T axle. Electrics, also don't worry. Do yours with lithium. Water tank... Yes please. Tents grow old, like us. Looking to replace mine in time.

Keep in mind, the less it have, the more you can make it yours, and bring it up to a nice new standard.

Be patient, and have your money ready. Take 10 months or so to eyeball the second hand market. Ask someone to look at a trailer if not in your region. Henk helped me out, and I shipped it from Jhb.

Patience!

PS. Kids had a fight as who can pull off the old decals.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CeeZee For This Useful Post: