Metalian Maxi super thread - Page 138





Page 138 of 152 FirstFirst ... 38 88 113 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,760 of 3024
  1. #2741
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Simon's Town
    Age
    70
    Posts
    972
    Thanked: 268

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Modricky View Post
    Just some pics to show you guys our new tent with 270 degree awning. The mechanism is made in Cape Town, but the canvas work and some poles are changed in Australia to produce what must be the most successful 270 awning and trailer tent combination. Note that either component, the awning or the tent can be independently deployed, and when both are setup, they join up to form one unit with no folds, open gaps or leaks.

    The awning is on a lift bracket that swivels down to the rear. This is particularly good because it retracts the awning front from sticking out up front and shifts weight to the rear of the trailer, lightening the ball weight during travel. Also, when erecting the awning, more cover is given to the fridge area.
    Looks good, Heinz.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

  2. #2742
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Little Falls, Roodepoort
    Age
    47
    Posts
    128
    Thanked: 32

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Modricky View Post
    Just some pics to show you guys our new tent with 270 degree awning. The mechanism is made in Cape Town, but the canvas work and some poles are changed in Australia to produce what must be the most successful 270 awning and trailer tent combination. Note that either component, the awning or the tent can be independently deployed, and when both are setup, they join up to form one unit with no folds, open gaps or leaks.

    The awning is on a lift bracket that swivels down to the rear. This is particularly good because it retracts the awning front from sticking out up front and shifts weight to the rear of the trailer, lightening the ball weight during travel. Also, when erecting the awning, more cover is given to the fridge area.
    Is the tent and awning available as an option in SA as well?
    2008 Fortuner D4D

  3. #2743
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bothasig
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,419
    Thanked: 14

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Very very nice!

    Well done Heinz
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

  4. #2744
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    The Far East (...Boksburg)
    Age
    50
    Posts
    451
    Thanked: 69

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Modricky View Post
    I've also added some updates to the kitchen, notably the new stainless steel lids and the side panel to the fridge. The fridge is now held down with fixings under the fridge and no longer requires hold down straps.
    Nice updates to the Metalian Heinz!
    + I really like the side panel at fridge. Option to put spices rack/bag there could be nice.
    + Fridge bolt down way better than straps.
    + Kitchen gas burners look same size now. 90deg turn chops off kitchen counter space though. My Swambo loves her counter space and not always happy about not being able to put two reasonable sized pans/pots on the old burners.
    + Those canvas shelf fronts and door caddies/bags are still the best ever (shout out to Jenny and Henk). Haven't see many other brands (eg Patriot) going this route yet.
    "Adventure is the distance between the present and the fulfillment of your dreams. How you navigate the in-between, is the great unknown."
    Platkar: 2002 Audi A4 1.8T 110kW Multitronic

    Swambo: 2014 Clio IV 0.9L 66kW Turbo Expression

    Camper Trailer: 2012 Metalian Maxi

  5. #2745
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    The Far East (...Boksburg)
    Age
    50
    Posts
    451
    Thanked: 69

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Modricky View Post
    I've also added some updates to the kitchen, notably the new stainless steel lids and the side panel to the fridge. The fridge is now held down with fixings under the fridge and no longer requires hold down straps.
    "Fixings for the fridge"? Is that just a NL baseplate or a more creative (less expensive) solution? I see re-positioning of the fridge gives the space for the fridge side panel.
    "Adventure is the distance between the present and the fulfillment of your dreams. How you navigate the in-between, is the great unknown."
    Platkar: 2002 Audi A4 1.8T 110kW Multitronic

    Swambo: 2014 Clio IV 0.9L 66kW Turbo Expression

    Camper Trailer: 2012 Metalian Maxi

  6. #2746
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,068
    Thanked: 670

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
    "Fixings for the fridge"? Is that just a NL baseplate or a more creative (less expensive) solution? I see re-positioning of the fridge gives the space for the fridge side panel.
    It's no extra cost (or weight), I've put the same mounts into the fridge slide. Don't know why I took so long to do this.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Heinz Modricky For This Useful Post:


  8. #2747
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,068
    Thanked: 670

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jan777 View Post
    Is the tent and awning available as an option in SA as well?
    With time. I can do the awning, but need to make up the tent. And no I'm not putting a time line to this. You know how slow I am to introduce new items.

  9. #2748
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,068
    Thanked: 670

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
    + Kitchen gas burners look same size now. 90deg turn chops off kitchen counter space though. My Swambo loves her counter space and not always happy about not being able to put two reasonable sized pans/pots on the old burners.
    Note this is the Smev stove that we fit for Australia because it iis approved by their gas association. In SA we fit the Dometic CE99 model which is a bit smaller and can rotate 90 degrees and thereby provide more work surface. (Obviously we can alos fit the Smev for SA customers - it's also about a grand dearer.)

    The difference between the two is that the Smev has a higher burn rate and is fitted with a pizo starter.

    The mini cannot be fitted with a built in stove for Australia because the Smev is too big for the door. In this instance we provide a weber type kettle (braai) oven that fits into the rear of the trailer. It's a bit bulky, but was I surprised with this unit. They're very popular down under. I never understood why Patriot made a special place for such a kettle braai in their nosecone, but it makes absolute sense for their market and has a place here as well. You get water to boil very quickly, so it is efficient if you're boiling potatoes, etc..

  10. #2749
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    1
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    All

    I am moving to Australia at the end of the year and unfortunately need to say goodbye to my trusted Metalian Maxi. Anyone interested can private message me or look at my add posted on Gumtree.

    Thanks

  11. #2750
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,407
    Thanked: 1809

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
    Nice updates to the Metalian Heinz!
    + I really like the side panel at fridge. Option to put spices rack/bag there could be nice.
    + Fridge bolt down way better than straps.
    + Kitchen gas burners look same size now. 90deg turn chops off kitchen counter space though. My Swambo loves her counter space and not always happy about not being able to put two reasonable sized pans/pots on the old burners.
    + Those canvas shelf fronts and door caddies/bags are still the best ever (shout out to Jenny and Henk). Haven't see many other brands (eg Patriot) going this route yet.


    Thanks but those are not my canvas work, my ideas but copies
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

    Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

  12. #2751
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    The Far East (...Boksburg)
    Age
    50
    Posts
    451
    Thanked: 69

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    [/B]
    Thanks but those are not my canvas work, my ideas but copies
    This Honeybadger knows Henk. Just reminder to the unlearned eye where the idea originated.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Honey Badger For This Useful Post:


  14. #2752
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    The Far East (...Boksburg)
    Age
    50
    Posts
    451
    Thanked: 69

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Modricky View Post
    Honey Badger, I'm sorry not to have seen your reply earlier (I don't get on the forum as much as I should). The simplest answer I have for you is that the "push-in" distance on the coupler is directly related to the travel distance of the brake lever, so the easiest way to check correct settings is to roll the trailer forward and apply the brakes - the brakes should lock in at 90 degrees. (I don't know if your handle has been modified - these days we cut this and reweld into a more downward position, so in this instance the lever won't reach 90 degrees.

    The other check is that in reverse the trailer brake should apply when the lever is deployed - if not - you have too much travel in the system and the brakes need adjustment. In very early model Metalians, the nosecone would limit this travel and the brake lever would bottom out on the nosecone before the brake could apply. I'll need to know more about your specific build to give your a 100% answer.

    All that said, I think that you possibly can't get the brakes to apply because you aren't pushing hard enough on the coupler to actually make an impact Just a thought.
    1. Eventually concluded that brakes needed adjusting since the coupler would run-in pretty much all the way when braking and we feel a gentle thud against car tow hitch. It's not the damper as that is still stiff to push in manually and it extends from compressed to extended in about 9 seconds (above 30 sec in DIY caravan instruction website means it must be replaced).

    2. Did the adjustment and drove around with webcam pointed at the coupler and Swambo on her laptop giving commentary. Coupler doesn't run in all the way now (maybe 70%) and I can feel the trailer braking better now. Brake drums warming up after some reasonably firm braking as one would expect.

    3. Resolved to visit Oom Henk in the very near future for a service, new brake pads and hands-on training on some things technical.
    "Adventure is the distance between the present and the fulfillment of your dreams. How you navigate the in-between, is the great unknown."
    Platkar: 2002 Audi A4 1.8T 110kW Multitronic

    Swambo: 2014 Clio IV 0.9L 66kW Turbo Expression

    Camper Trailer: 2012 Metalian Maxi

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Honey Badger For This Useful Post:


  16. #2753
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bothasig
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,419
    Thanked: 14

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Installed a gas-coupler into the van over the weekend:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3825.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	326.0 KB 
ID:	500750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3826.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	500751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3847.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	340.8 KB 
ID:	501548  
    Last edited by Stefan; 2018/09/10 at 09:42 AM.
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

  17. #2754
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    38
    Posts
    393
    Thanked: 158

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    @ Heinz, was wondering due to the box design of the trailer (without the nose cone) and some alteration, removing the load bin and fitting a maxi on a bakkie?
    Sought of like those Australian camper canopies.
    Hilux 2700i s/c 4X4 with a few extras ...............
    Cape Town

  18. #2755
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,068
    Thanked: 670

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ismail View Post
    @ Heinz, was wondering due to the box design of the trailer (without the nose cone) and some alteration, removing the load bin and fitting a maxi on a bakkie?
    Sought of like those Australian camper canopies.
    It's an idea, but with a sightly different design. The current trailer has a belly of 230 mm depth which you'd ideally like to remove, and the wheel arch makes the doors unpractical for a Ute tray.

  19. #2756
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bothasig
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,419
    Thanked: 14

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    So I decided to test the water system of the Maxi last night prior to this weekend's camp and I couldn't get any water out of the taps. I can hear the pump run, but no water ideas / suggestions / recommendations?

    Also, is there a special trick to fill the tanks? As soon as the water leaves the hose at anything more than a trickle, water runs out of the input opening.
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

  20. #2757
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Fourways
    Age
    47
    Posts
    153
    Thanked: 36

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    So I decided to test the water system of the Maxi last night prior to this weekend's camp and I couldn't get any water out of the taps. I can hear the pump run, but no water ideas / suggestions / recommendations?

    Also, is there a special trick to fill the tanks? As soon as the water leaves the hose at anything more than a trickle, water runs out of the input opening.

    Ive had this before, there is most likely an air lock in the pipes.
    With the pump running, open the tap and suck with your mouth till water flows freely.
    Have seen Henks helper guy do it.

    As far as filling the tanks go's, patience is a virtue 😉

  21. #2758
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lonehill, JHB
    Age
    43
    Posts
    6,377
    Thanked: 831

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    The other thing that does happen on these pumps is small tiny pieces of plastic from inside the tanks can block the pump, you need to remove the pump and take some covers off and carefully remove the flecks of plastic. Itís very sensitive but I did mine a few years ago and all good since.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

  22. #2759
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bothasig
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,419
    Thanked: 14

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Awesome, thanks gentlemen!
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

  23. #2760
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,707
    Thanked: 639

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Does the Maxi have an external tap that you can get water from ie not via the pump? If so connect your garden hose to that tap, remove the filler cap and open the garden hose tap. This means that the tank will fill up from the bottom and expel air out of the filler mouth until the tank is full and water flows out.

Similar Threads

  1. Trailer crashed, Namibia
    By Biggles in forum Trailers, Caravans, Towing etc
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: 2016/09/11, 08:39 AM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 2015/12/19, 06:10 PM
  3. Metalian Maxi for Rent from Kubu 4x4
    By Jannie Kubu4x4 in forum Commercial Member Adverts
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 2013/08/12, 11:52 AM
  4. Can a closed thread be reactivated?
    By Eggie in forum The 4x4 Pub
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2013/06/09, 08:14 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •