Metalian Maxi super thread - Page 138

Page 138 of 152 FirstFirst ... 38 88 113 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,760 of 3024

Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Modricky View Post
    Just some pics to show you guys our new tent with 270 degree awning. The mechanism is made in Cape Town, but the canvas work and some poles are changed in Australia to produce what must be the most successful 270 awning and trailer tent combination. Note that either component, the awning or the tent can be independently deployed, and when both are setup, they join up to form one unit with no folds, open gaps or leaks.

The awning is on a lift bracket that swivels down to the rear. This is particularly good because it retracts the awning front from sticking out up front and shifts weight to the rear of the trailer, lightening the ball weight during travel. Also, when erecting the awning, more cover is given to the fridge area.
    Looks good, Heinz.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

Just some pics to show you guys our new tent with 270 degree awning. The mechanism is made in Cape Town, but the canvas work and some poles are changed in Australia to produce what must be the most successful 270 awning and trailer tent combination. Note that either component, the awning or the tent can be independently deployed, and when both are setup, they join up to form one unit with no folds, open gaps or leaks.

The awning is on a lift bracket that swivels down to the rear. This is particularly good because it retracts the awning front from sticking out up front and shifts weight to the rear of the trailer, lightening the ball weight during travel. Also, when erecting the awning, more cover is given to the fridge area.
    Is the tent and awning available as an option in SA as well?
    2008 Fortuner D4D

Very very nice!

Well done Heinz
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

I've also added some updates to the kitchen, notably the new stainless steel lids and the side panel to the fridge. The fridge is now held down with fixings under the fridge and no longer requires hold down straps.
    Nice updates to the Metalian Heinz!
    + I really like the side panel at fridge. Option to put spices rack/bag there could be nice.
    + Fridge bolt down way better than straps.
    + Kitchen gas burners look same size now. 90deg turn chops off kitchen counter space though. My Swambo loves her counter space and not always happy about not being able to put two reasonable sized pans/pots on the old burners.
    + Those canvas shelf fronts and door caddies/bags are still the best ever (shout out to Jenny and Henk). Haven't see many other brands (eg Patriot) going this route yet.
    "Adventure is the distance between the present and the fulfillment of your dreams. How you navigate the in-between, is the great unknown."
    Platkar: 2002 Audi A4 1.8T 110kW Multitronic

Swambo: 2014 Clio IV 0.9L 66kW Turbo Expression

Camper Trailer: 2012 Metalian Maxi

I've also added some updates to the kitchen, notably the new stainless steel lids and the side panel to the fridge. The fridge is now held down with fixings under the fridge and no longer requires hold down straps.
    "Fixings for the fridge"? Is that just a NL baseplate or a more creative (less expensive) solution? I see re-positioning of the fridge gives the space for the fridge side panel.
    "Adventure is the distance between the present and the fulfillment of your dreams. How you navigate the in-between, is the great unknown."

Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
    "Fixings for the fridge"? Is that just a NL baseplate or a more creative (less expensive) solution? I see re-positioning of the fridge gives the space for the fridge side panel.
    It's no extra cost (or weight), I've put the same mounts into the fridge slide. Don't know why I took so long to do this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Heinz Modricky For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jan777 View Post
    Is the tent and awning available as an option in SA as well?
    With time. I can do the awning, but need to make up the tent. And no I'm not putting a time line to this. You know how slow I am to introduce new items.

+ Kitchen gas burners look same size now. 90deg turn chops off kitchen counter space though. My Swambo loves her counter space and not always happy about not being able to put two reasonable sized pans/pots on the old burners.
    Note this is the Smev stove that we fit for Australia because it iis approved by their gas association. In SA we fit the Dometic CE99 model which is a bit smaller and can rotate 90 degrees and thereby provide more work surface. (Obviously we can alos fit the Smev for SA customers - it's also about a grand dearer.)

The difference between the two is that the Smev has a higher burn rate and is fitted with a pizo starter.

The mini cannot be fitted with a built in stove for Australia because the Smev is too big for the door. In this instance we provide a weber type kettle (braai) oven that fits into the rear of the trailer. It's a bit bulky, but was I surprised with this unit. They're very popular down under. I never understood why Patriot made a special place for such a kettle braai in their nosecone, but it makes absolute sense for their market and has a place here as well. You get water to boil very quickly, so it is efficient if you're boiling potatoes, etc..

All

I am moving to Australia at the end of the year and unfortunately need to say goodbye to my trusted Metalian Maxi. Anyone interested can private message me or look at my add posted on Gumtree.

Thanks

Nice updates to the Metalian Heinz!
    + I really like the side panel at fridge. Option to put spices rack/bag there could be nice.
    + Fridge bolt down way better than straps.
    + Those canvas shelf fronts and door caddies/bags are still the best ever (shout out to Jenny and Henk). Haven't see many other brands (eg Patriot) going this route yet.

Thanks but those are not my canvas work, my ideas but copies
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    [/B]
    Thanks but those are not my canvas work, my ideas but copies
    This Honeybadger knows Henk. Just reminder to the unlearned eye where the idea originated.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Honey Badger For This Useful Post:

Honey Badger, I'm sorry not to have seen your reply earlier (I don't get on the forum as much as I should). The simplest answer I have for you is that the "push-in" distance on the coupler is directly related to the travel distance of the brake lever, so the easiest way to check correct settings is to roll the trailer forward and apply the brakes - the brakes should lock in at 90 degrees. (I don't know if your handle has been modified - these days we cut this and reweld into a more downward position, so in this instance the lever won't reach 90 degrees.

The other check is that in reverse the trailer brake should apply when the lever is deployed - if not - you have too much travel in the system and the brakes need adjustment. In very early model Metalians, the nosecone would limit this travel and the brake lever would bottom out on the nosecone before the brake could apply. I'll need to know more about your specific build to give your a 100% answer.

All that said, I think that you possibly can't get the brakes to apply because you aren't pushing hard enough on the coupler to actually make an impact Just a thought.
    1. Eventually concluded that brakes needed adjusting since the coupler would run-in pretty much all the way when braking and we feel a gentle thud against car tow hitch. It's not the damper as that is still stiff to push in manually and it extends from compressed to extended in about 9 seconds (above 30 sec in DIY caravan instruction website means it must be replaced).

2. Did the adjustment and drove around with webcam pointed at the coupler and Swambo on her laptop giving commentary. Coupler doesn't run in all the way now (maybe 70%) and I can feel the trailer braking better now. Brake drums warming up after some reasonably firm braking as one would expect.

3. Resolved to visit Oom Henk in the very near future for a service, new brake pads and hands-on training on some things technical.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Honey Badger For This Useful Post:

Installed a gas-coupler into the van over the weekend:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3825.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	326.0 KB 
ID:	500750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3826.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	500751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3847.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	340.8 KB 
ID:	501548  
    Last edited by Stefan; 2018/09/10 at 09:42 AM.
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

@ Heinz, was wondering due to the box design of the trailer (without the nose cone) and some alteration, removing the load bin and fitting a maxi on a bakkie?
    Sought of like those Australian camper canopies.
    Hilux 2700i s/c 4X4 with a few extras ...............
    Cape Town

Quote Originally Posted by ismail View Post
    @ Heinz, was wondering due to the box design of the trailer (without the nose cone) and some alteration, removing the load bin and fitting a maxi on a bakkie?
    Sought of like those Australian camper canopies.
    It's an idea, but with a sightly different design. The current trailer has a belly of 230 mm depth which you'd ideally like to remove, and the wheel arch makes the doors unpractical for a Ute tray.

So I decided to test the water system of the Maxi last night prior to this weekend's camp and I couldn't get any water out of the taps. I can hear the pump run, but no water ideas / suggestions / recommendations?

Also, is there a special trick to fill the tanks? As soon as the water leaves the hose at anything more than a trickle, water runs out of the input opening.
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    So I decided to test the water system of the Maxi last night prior to this weekend's camp and I couldn't get any water out of the taps. I can hear the pump run, but no water ideas / suggestions / recommendations?

Also, is there a special trick to fill the tanks? As soon as the water leaves the hose at anything more than a trickle, water runs out of the input opening.

Ive had this before, there is most likely an air lock in the pipes.
    With the pump running, open the tap and suck with your mouth till water flows freely.
    Have seen Henks helper guy do it.

As far as filling the tanks go's, patience is a virtue 😉

The other thing that does happen on these pumps is small tiny pieces of plastic from inside the tanks can block the pump, you need to remove the pump and take some covers off and carefully remove the flecks of plastic. Itís very sensitive but I did mine a few years ago and all good since.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Awesome, thanks gentlemen!
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

Does the Maxi have an external tap that you can get water from ie not via the pump? If so connect your garden hose to that tap, remove the filler cap and open the garden hose tap. This means that the tank will fill up from the bottom and expel air out of the filler mouth until the tank is full and water flows out.